Can cam lean cause string to come off at full draw?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by dj-skyy, Jul 30, 2012.

1. dj-skyy

dj-skyy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    j/w because it happened to me for the 1st time....I've been shooting for quite some time and I've never came across this issue....yesterday while I was at the local range shooting, my string snapped right off while I was at full draw...it caused my bow to dry fire with the arrow still attached to the string...literally sounded like a .22 rifle went off...did a quick visual inspection and the limbs seemed ok...bow is less than 5 months old and shot no more than 50...I heard a lot of issues with Monsters having cam lean so I don't know what to think...luckily Buckstop Archery in West Dundee was open yesterday so I dropped it off there...hoping for some good news tomorrow when they open up....

click here for pic...
    http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/6281/mr5q.jpg

2. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Lean would have to be severe but tear drop shaped cam can derail when you torque the bow or string too much

3. Camper1

Camper1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Current (6/10/12) Melbourne Australia, soon to be
    not a nice thing to happen especially on a new bow so my sympathy there.

Having the cams offset can be normal and not necessarily a bad thing but it depends on who tuned it.

A short brace height and a one off bad grip can cause torque which will derail the bow, also drawing a compound with your fingers can do the same.

Ive seen monster cams shredded where the string has come off the side and torn the cam material clean off. I hope it all works out for you, keep us informed, cheers Doz