Can anyone give me info on this bow

Discussion in 'Traditional Archery' started by axtell343, Oct 6, 2017.

1. axtell343

axtell343 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have been considering taking up traditional archery for a while now and my brother got my Grandfathers old recurve a few years ago.(He isn't into hunting and would give it to me) It is a Howatt Hunter , ne plus ultra. It is 62" and has a 50# draw which is more then I can draw without developing some bad habits.
    It would be really cool to take this hunting again, I am thinking of getting a Sammick Sage with lighter limbs and learning to shoot but I wanted to know if this bow name was good or if I should go with a different bow. I would have the guy at my pro shop inspect it before I shot it of course.

Any info on the bow or other good resources on getting into the sport would be much appreciated. Thanks!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
  2. woodsman

woodsman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    A very good bow. Howatt later was taken over by Martin Archery and has a very strong following.. Sounds like a family heirloom to keep.
    The Samick Sage is a very good bow for the money and an extra set of limbs is only $75.00 so you can't really go wrong with a deal like that..

Chris

3. axtell343

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you Chris

4. Bowsage

Bowsage Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Your resources can be found right here on the web....at your finger tips, just sayin'

5. axtell343

Dislikes Received:
    Oh I know, and I did do some research and found some good info, but it doesn't hurt to liven up this section a bit does it?;)

6. Arkyinks

Arkyinks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would get a new string and shoot it. I have my Grandpa's Browning shotgun and turkey hunt with it every year. I set out there and think of him even though he's been dead 45 years. It and a knife is all that is left of his and I hope to pass it to my son and grandson.
    Honor him by shooting the bow and become a true archer (had to put that in there) . What a treasure!

axtell343 likes this.
  7. axtell343

Dislikes Received:
    I definitely intend to, the thing is I can't shoot it at full draw more than a couple times before really arching my back, pointing the bow up etc, I can hardly string the thing. I want to start off the "True way :evilgrin:" right with proper form etc so I figure I will get a takedown with some lower weight limbs and work on it over the winter. I am hoping I can shoot it proficiently within a year or two.

Thank you for sharing!

8. axtell343

Dislikes Received:
    I don't know if any of you will read this but I have a bit of a dilemma.

I am left eye dominant, and my hands are cross dominant(write with my left hand, but have learned to shoot/throw just as well if not better right handed. I am basically ambidexterous) , I have only ever shot my compound right handed and have had no issues. My grandfathers bow is right handed. Should I just get a right handed sammick and shoot normally? I am already adjusted to doing everything opposite my eye/hand dominance because I have only ever bought right handed bows, since I shoot fine with a compound would it be that big of a deal if I went with a right handed recurve?

thoughts?

9. Bowsage

Bowsage Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I can't speak for anyone else as to what will work for you , I'm left eyed dominate , pistol right handed , rifle left handed ( right hand rifle), bow right handed and I can paint with either hand......no problems.

axtell343 likes this.
  10. Arkyinks

Arkyinks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am a southpaw but in the 4th grade I had a teacher who did not like twisted in the desk to write. So she smacked my hands with a ruler till I wrote right handed. While I write with both hands, I mostly write right handed even now. I shoot gun and bow left handed because of eye dominance but can shoot right handed with gun and bow. I am not as accurate right handed but can get it done.

Just keep shooting grandpa's bow but have a slightly longer string made. You will get stronger. Start with a release till shoulder muscles build up then work with fingers till your grip builds up. If you get a left handed bow you may find you are more accurate.

11. axtell343

Dislikes Received:
    thank you both!