Camo???

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by Arrow4, Jul 26, 2015.

1. Arrow4

Arrow4 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    ive been looking for camo for elk season, but don't want to break the bank, I don't want this to be a debate over mossy oak or real tree, but I want to get something light weight and moisture wicking and where to get it!

2. DarkTimber

DarkTimber Newb

Dislikes Received:
    A woolrich wool shirt with contrasting dark and light is good, but it will be too hot for early September. Thrift stores like Goodwill may have some camo. People clean out stuff in Summer. The other option is the classifieds on AcheryTalk forums. camofire is another option.

It's all personal preference. I currently wear Merino Wool ASAT and sometimes Mossy oak rain jacket. If a hunter doesn't buy into one pattern or the other, thrift shops can yield some great deals. Excessive movement will bust me regardless of the camo pattern. Just my 2 cents.

Cotton - gets wet and stays wet. stinks with body odor.

Poly - high stink retention, cheap and dries fast. Walmart stuff is cheap. Gander Mountain has some camo on sale now.

Merino Wool - keeps you cool in warm weather, keeps you warm when its cold. Dries fast and doesn't retain stink like other materials. Can be worn multiple days and not worry about stink retention like cotton and poly. Air it out overnight. Easy to rinse out and dry in CO. First Lite & Icebreaker. Camofire has occasional deals on merino wool.

3. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Check ebay and army surplus for military bdu. The generic woodland pattern or the woodland digital print camo will work just fine in wooded areas.

Sent from my Classic using Tapatalk

4. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Take a look on eBay, and other online retailers and look for deals on first lite ....if you not picky about colors then you can usually find discounts

5. the wanderer

the wanderer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabe...earch=Search&No=0&Ntt=Lightweight+camouflage+

Hopefully this link works. "Cabelas Made In The Shade". This is the Camo I bought for elk hunting last September in Colorado. Really light weight! I loved them for hiking up and down the mountains. They also dry pretty quickly. I think I actually only paid $35 each for the pants and s button up shirt. I believe they were on sale at the time.

6. scarps23

scarps23 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good ideas already. Are you planning on packing in for a few days or hunting one day at a time and return home?

That would make a big difference to me on what was needed or not. Merino wool will never fail you, but you can get away with other materials if you are only going one day at a time. If you can't afford better gear now I would try to save over time and gradually get an item at a time and build a nice system of gear. Some really great stuff out there from several brands. Camofire is good for deals as said before.

As far as patterns go. I really don't think it matters that much. Doesn't mean I don't buy new patterns, but it isn't necessary.

Tags: