Cajun hybrid reel

Discussion in 'Bowfishing' started by bloodcrick, Apr 10, 2014.

1. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    Has anyone tried it out yet ? I was going to switch from my AMS to the muzzy but the cajun has my eye. Who has tried one? what do you think?

2. Nick_P

Nick_P Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would go with the tried and true muzzy. The advantages you are gaining with a spincast is the ability to fight fish, faster arrow retrieve, straighter arrow flight, less line drag, and better balance on your bow. The AMS lacks in these areas but is tough as nails and lasts for many years. I have heard of some problems with the cajun reels, and while it is designed to retrieve arrows like a spincast, it still uses a roller which will slip if the arrow is buried in mud or you shoot a big fish, the drag just isnt strong enough. Ive also heard the bottle is way too big for the amount of line put on it to keep the reel feeding smoothly. In my opinion, if you are looking for the benefits of a spincast style setup, you should get the Muzzy XD spinner. I switched from the AMS to a Muzzy a couple years back and my AMS just sits as a backup now. the spinners offer so many nice features and are just so much quicker than any bottle reel will ever be. I am much more efficient with a spinner and happier with the way it performs, i have them on all my bows. The Muzzy XD combined with the F&D Archery Pro Reel seat and Straight Shooter rod extension has been a tournament winning majority ruling setup for years. Nothing but happy with mine!

3. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I dropped the Cajun prostaff so I don't have one to test. I know several friends who are testing them this spring.
    I would hold off until later before I bought one.
    Kind of like when muzzy first came out with its spinner. The reel foot would break off. They got it worked out but it took some time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

4. coheley665

coheley665 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  5. bloodcrick

Dislikes Received:
    coheley,,,,we have a boat now and were getting into bigger fish on some of the large rivers. Some whopper bigheads. All the guys I fish with that get the bigger fish swaped out to the Muzzy because you can actually reel and have the drag set. The AMS is awesome and I love mine. Im going to keep it for backup or have 2 Bows one with each. I nailed a HUGH bighead last summer, it got off because of poor hit but it showed me pretty quick why the set drag could save from loosing one.

6. coheley665

Dislikes Received:
    All makes sense. I like mine but the only thing I dislike is the line is thinner then what you can use in a AMS. When you stick a arrow in the mudd and you wrap the line around your hand to try and pull it out the thinner line almost want to cut your hand. simple solve by wearing gloves but I dont really like wearing gloves when shooting.

7. bloodcrick

Dislikes Received:
    Good point, I can see where that would be an issue. I think ill get another recurve just for that reason and keep the AMS on it and use the Muzzy for river fish. I have decided against the cajun as Christine said its not been tested much yet. gonna order all the goods this evening! Thanks everyone!

8. Nick_P

Nick_P Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Get yourself a Mission Menace or PSE Tidal Wave, crank that sucker up to 45-50lbs and you will not lose those bigheads any more!! Also you will get better penetration shooting with a spinner because of better arrow flight and less drag. Good luck Crick!

9. Christine

Dislikes Received:
    cohelely665, you can buy a line puller that attaches to the riser of your bow. Bowfishing Extreme  Accessories (look at the fifth row down)

My husband uses our 'fish-be-quiet' stick (a small bat) to pull arrows stuck in roots or mud.

Crik,
    The spincast advantage with big fish or hard fighters is that it has a lot of line... not the drag. ;) You can have almost instant variable drag when handlining a fish with an AMS... but if that fish wants to be more than 20-25 yards from the boat, you're in trouble. I never had much trouble with bigheads (but I only hit them well. HA) but about every grassy I've ever shot, made a run for Mexico. Some buffs will do that too. Points make a big difference for me, depending on the waters I'm shooting, I'll use Cajun long barb piranhas or innerloc grapple points. But then the biggest bighead I've shot was only 42 lbs. :(

10. Nick_P

Nick_P Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey Christine, i shoot the Long Barbs too, but i switched over to the AMS Chaos XLs this season and i am super happy with them, much higher quality point than the casian piranhas. The new chisel tips are tough as nails, ive actually had cajun tips crack in half on me before when i shot them into rocks, as have others. I highly recommend them for an all around point, they have held great for me so far!!

11. Christine

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks, I'll look into those!

I've never cracked a Cajun tip but I had a batch that would get bent up fast, particularly where the barbs hit. Of course, when that gets bent up, the barbs won't hold any more. The innerloc tips I have are super soft too. I won't even shoot them in rocky/gravelly areas. I had good luck with the muzzy fish points but when I was prostaff for Cajun, I switched over all my points and arrows. You can swap out the barbs on muzzys to make them long barbs too. We always squish the barbs in close to the shaft so the arrow hole in the fish is smaller.

I think it's a challenge for the companies to balance out hardness on the points. They need to be hard enough to not bend but not so hard that they crack. From year to year the tips varied in quality. Kind of like AMS had those awful slides the one year. (I always manage to get the bad year stuff)

At least we have a good supply of replacement tips on hand. That way we can just swap out mangled ones right away. My husband even machined some of his own. :)

12. coheley665

Dislikes Received:
    Im going to have to consider that, thanks.
    I just remember taking a shot then going to rip it out real quick; well the boat was still moving forward and the line was wrapped around my hand, finally the boat slowed to a stop since we just using a trolling motor. My pinky was numb for a couple days cause the line got so tight. Hoping getting a 45lb vs 65lb bow will help from them sticking in the mud so bad to.
    Might have to consider a fish be quite stick to :lol:

13. Christine

Dislikes Received:
    Thought I'd share this. I just saw it posted on FB.

This just announced by Cajun

Good Morning,
    I hope everyone is doing well. We have had some emails and calls concerning our jackhammer tips cracking. Product management has spoken to our supplier and they believe the tips were over hardened. If you hear of someone having an issue, please direct them to our customer service line at 800-694-9494. We will replace the tips with brand new ones. I always appreciate feedback and expect it from our staffers. A few of you made me aware of this issue and it is certainly appreciated. This allows us to get a head start on correcting any issues with equipment. Thanks and please let me know if you need anything. JR
    JR Neidlinger
    Customer Service Supervisor/Pro Staff Manager

14. bloodcrick

Dislikes Received:
    Well I ended up with the Muzzy HD and accessories. Just got to mount it all on and get after it! Thanks for all the input peeps ;)