Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Buying New Hunting Land and Need Help

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by 130Woodman, Apr 3, 2017.

?

Which Property

1. Property 1`

12 vote(s)
    70.6%
  2. Property 2

5 vote(s)
    29.4%
  1. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I also like how property #1 lays. They both seem to have some positives though.

2. 130Woodman

130Woodman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The north side is easy it's already clear and it's the same on the South side to the field in the woods. There is a fence on the east side that has an old trail that could be easily cleared. Getting in for an afternoon hunt is going to be challenging until I learn how the deer use it. I have found 2 beds just inside the wood line behind the house which makes it even more challenging.

tynimiller likes this.
  3. 130Woodman

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah it's private but the access point for the land is at the bottom corner which I cut off the picture so the people have to walk down the property line to get to the hunting area on public

4. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

I think the concern is you are going to have the wind at your back or near at your back too many times. If anything you will need to access on the south boarder more often for that predominate NW wind. But you still have to be very careful and fight that forever. If you could get other access it looks great but this is pretty much a deal breaker to me at least.

I just don't know if I'm a fan of either one Dan honestly.

5. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I wouldn't be concerned about west wind. It only matters to what's directly downwind from you and no one knows how the wind is going to act in the brushy ridges and draws. I'd be more concerned with the public land on #2 and the highway frontage and neighboring houses.

6. 130Woodman

Dislikes Received:
    I'm going to do a reverse 1031

7. MoBuckChaser

MoBuckChaser Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Reverse exchange requires a EAT in the form of a LLC corporation. Lots of paperwork that has to meet certain deadlines. make sure that is the route you want to go. Good Luck!

8. 130Woodman

Dislikes Received:
    A northwest wind isn't as common there as it is in Northern Wisconsin at that time of year. Yes we get them but It's mostly SW W or SSW predominate. With that said does that change anything?

9. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    nah, honestly only a direct W dead wind worried me entrance wise but still even than using the edges of N and S you would only be blowing on entry your routes....only when you break inward would you begin covering areas. SW I'm using North side of Property and am happy to do so.

10. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

I don't know. When I hunted SE Wisconsin for years it seemed we had an awful lot of west winds in the fall and east winds in the spring. Guess it depends how close to the lake you are.

11. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Parcel 1 looks like you would want to try and make it a bedding area. Looks like food source competition to the north.

Parcel 2 with good food plotting you can probably pull a ton of deer from the public land.

I'm still partial to #2.

12. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I will say this much, both given sweat equity have the layout and positioning to be very awesome properties.

For me it would come down to which topography I personally like more, neighboring "issues" and how big of a difference maker is it having buildings present already and not worried about building.

Making the property more huntable and even making it more conducive for deer over years can be accomplish and is a big part of the fun.

130Woodman likes this.
  13. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yupp, still 100% #1 for me after seeing the pictures.

14. 130Woodman

Dislikes Received:
    This is NW Illinois no where near the turd pool we know as Lake Michigan

15. jcz

jcz Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This beast was on my camera on my little 40 acre plot I have so to say big deer won't hold on small land is true and false. Without knowing the price I can't really say that your over paying for one or the other. But if price is not the issue I like #1. In case my wife threw me out I'd live there

Attached Files:

130Woodman likes this.
  16. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm a firm believer in food sources. It appears property #1 is in close proximity to some Ag down in the bottoms. #2 doesn't appear to have Ag in close proximity. Might be wrong, hard to tell from the pics. Planting plots helps, but there's no substitute for larger Ag fields that provide the tonnage to support higher deer populations. #1 looks prime to catch them coming back to bed from feeding all night in the bottoms.

You can't control the wind and around me, it's just as likely to blow from the south as it is the north it seems like. Doing some TSI and creating some bedding in areas that you want them to bed can help on properties that seem difficult to hunt due to wind direction.

17. 130Woodman

Dislikes Received:
    You're right parcel 1 has a ton of food around it it's the end piece of timber which is not ideal but can work. The wind is the wind and it's going to take a couple years to learn how to properly hunt it with any wind.

Skywalker likes this.
  18. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Definitely the case for me too. I bet I hunted more southerly winds last year than northerly.

19. pick00l

pick00l Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I really like the looks of #2. The public land does not bother me as much as others however, all the concerns are valid. I like how you have "less" neighboring properties in #2. I also like that road frontage. Best of luck!

20. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I would buy property 1 personally, the borders are simple and square which will make the property lines easier to distinguish. I like hilly property for access to stands and scent control, and a house is always nice. The second property is awkward shaped and state land bordering is a big turn off unless access is hard for anyone else.