buying new hunting arrows, advice on setup please

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by rsm801, Feb 14, 2017.

1. rsm801

rsm801 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    With one season under my belt, i am going to change my setup a bit by getting new arrows.
    I think I am going to go with the Easton 5mm axis arrows. my mind is set on easton arrows though, but it might be the 5mm FMJ's.

My dl is 30.5" and im shooting 65 lbs. I shoot 100 gr heads.
    I hunt Elk and Mulies

If I go with the 340 axis and a 32" arrow im at about 291 ft/sec and 85.2 KE with an arrow coming in at 452 grains.
    If I go with the 300 axis and a 32.5" arrow im at about 278 ft/sec and 85.3 KE with an arrow coming in at 495.75 grains.

will i see any benefit from either setup?
    Any negatives to either setup?
    anything else I should have a look at?
    Would I benefit in using 125 gr heads?

Thanks for the time guys!

2. KjKlump

KjKlump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You're going to have a better FOC with the Axis Arrows.
    With your specs you'll do fine with either.
    I have both Axis and FMJ's, but I shoot the Axis as I've had some bending on the FMJ'S depending on the target material.
    I would get a small sample of each and see which you like.

X spec + Y spec doesn't always equal Z.
    You're bow may be more efficient with the heavier of the two.

3. Whitetail

Whitetail Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    IMO Shoot a 7-9gpp (grains per pound of dw) with a FOC 12% or more and hunt. Don't worry about speed.

How did you pick arrow length? Why 32"+?. I like mine in front of my riser (fingers) but that seems long. I would get the shaft selector program from pinwheel software (free 5 days). Set the correct filters (ie hunting). Put in all your bow & arrow specs and select the length to get optimum spine or a hair stiff. For you I would stay at least 30" (I like my fingers without stiches). Worked for me several times.

I use Axis with 50 grain insert with 100 or 125 BH depending on how they tune.

4. rsm801

rsm801 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    the main reason for the long arrows is i have long arrows now, and i dont mind them.
    I didnt have the means to cut them before, and i didnt want to pay to cut them, hah.
    I figured the longer the arrow, the more weight it carried, so it wouldnt be a big deal if they were a touch long.

Thanks for the opinions and advice guys!

5. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    How accurate are you with the long arrows?

6. rsm801

rsm801 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    i feel like I am pretty accurate. i can keep my arrows in a 4-5" circle out to 30 yards on a consistent basis. out of 6 arrows, if all 6 arent in the circle, 5 are.
    I dont have many chances to practice at over 30 but when I do, I am fairly accurate as well.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
  7. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Axis 340's cut to 31" with either 100 or 125 grain tips.

8. Dubbya

Dubbya Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Personally, I think the part that everyone seems to be leaving out here is that, you can add a brass HIT insert of either 50-75 grains and increase your arrow weight and FOC tremendously. Go with the 300 spine as the extra weight up front (brass insert) decreases your spine and use all the advantages that you are given with a 30.5" draw length. I'm not sure why you wouldn't cut the arrows off at the center of the riser, but I guess it doesn't matter.

If you plan on hunting elk and mule deer, a heavier arrow with more weight up front is a no-brainer. Momentum is what provides penetration, not KE.

It's like the difference between trying to drive a nail with a really fast moving plastic kids hammer (Higher KE) or a slower moving heavy steel hammer (high Momentum).

My vote is for the 300's at 30.5" with a 75gr brass X-Hit.

Good luck!

9. rsm801

rsm801 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    thanks for the input so far guys.

one thing i have decided on for sure is cutting down my arrows, its not the first time i have been asked why i dont do that.

i think i will go with those axis 300s.
    If i get a dozen shafts, and 6 of those brass inserts, if I dont like them or shoot them well, are they easy to remove those brass insets and put in normal ones?

if im going heavier on the arrows and inserts, will it matter if i settle on a 100 or 125 gr head?

10. Dubbya

Dubbya Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    If you use the Easton epoxy, then no, they aren't coming out. The inserts come in packs of 12 though, so that shouldn't be an issue. Also, there isn't any reason according to physics that they won't shoot well. Go with the brass and don't look back. As for broadhead weight, no, it won't matter. Basically it will come down to whether you want more total arrow weight or not.

Seriously, the brass inserts will not let you down and they'll help you in ways you can't see whenever that arrow impacts an elk.