Burping Deer!

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Monks, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Monks

Monks Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Is it a tv show thing, a deer walks in calmly. Wait for shot...nope here comes the burp! Deer fully alert now?! Just curious why this is such a thing on tv shows. I watched the Drury Brothers ( not bashing them) do this to ridiculously loud proportions to stop a deer that was basically not moving. Does everyone do this? I never do it while bowhunting. Just curious. Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

2. zachd

zachd Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have only "meah" at a couple deer one to stop a doe that was running away after I shot a deer next to it and another to stop a buck who was cruising though pretty fast.

3. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I usually puke my guts up.

4. marv.schmitz87

marv.schmitz87 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Never had to.
    But I don't see a reason not to bleat at a deer that's cruising by. Its gotta be timed right tho. You can't "mean" if you are not ready to shoot within a second.

5. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I've often wondered why hunters on some shows give them a "meah" even though they're standing still. Maybe it's just for a quality video shot. You know, instead of taking the shot with the head down maybe they want the deer in a perfect pose on the shot? Maybe they just want to make sure that the deer doesn't take a step forward as they are touching the release. I don't know.

What I do know is that if I have a shot opportunity without having to make a sound, I don't make a sound.

What always made me scratch my head even more, though, is the hunts I see where they give the deer a "meah" and then launch the arrow immediately without even giving the deer time to stop. I don't get that.

Then again, I don't get a lot of the mistakes I've made and still make.

mikido likes this.
  6. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I don't know. I've used the "meah" (or whatever it is) to stop deer and had them stop with a branch in the way and they stood there for over a minute trying to figure out what that sound was. When they finally started walking I had to stop them again.

I think you have more time than you think you do after you stop them.

marine1986 likes this.
  7. Cablebob

Cablebob Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I think it might be muscle memory. They practice all summer for years making the "meah" sound right before squeezing the trigger. So regardless of the deer moving or standing still it has just become automatic.

8. Hatfield Hunter

Hatfield Hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    over the years I have yelled, whistled, grunted snorted, farted, they all will stop a deer briefly most of the time

9. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I don't grunt, snort or meah. I simply whisper Sota is going to kill you.:bow:

10. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think I've only had to stop a buck once with an "errrp" over the years. I prefer not doing that though.

11. catman529

catman529 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I only do it if the deer is on the move. If the deer is standing still there is no need. I did however shout "hey" at a doe last year to get her head up before I shot...made a good video but no real purpose otherwise. I'd rather not get their attention if I don't have to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

12. Moose

Moose Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have used it from time to time with success and no busts, but like others have said if there is no need to make a noise to get the shot off I stay quiet and let the bow do its work.

13. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The only time I do it is when the deer are within range and cruising and aren’t going to stop otherwise. Deer on alert = aim for heart.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

14. kb1785

kb1785 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    As a general rule I do not try to alert the deer in any way. I have used a "meah" one time at a buck that was in a food plot that was squaring up with another buck. He wasn't moving at the time just staring at the other buck but I thought that he may at any moment start toward the other buck so I used the TV trick "meah". Well the buck then looked dead at me and I released the arrow. Buck ducked the arrow, arrow just gave him a haircut and I was left wondering why in the world did I just do that. 150 inch buck also.

15. Marius

Marius Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Isn't this bleating practice just like asking for å stringjump?
    Don't know much about whitetails, but the smaller european roe deer would lie flat on it's belly long before the arrow passed if alerted before the shot :-D

Sent fra min SM-G955F via Tapatalk

16. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I usually just yell "death from above!" right before I land on the deer with my bowie knife.