Building strength

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by Donna Smith, May 21, 2018.

1. Donna Smith

Donna Smith Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hi, I got my first bow (Hoyt Ignite) in October last year. I started with about 30lb draw weight. I started working with 5lb then 10lb and this week 15lb weights. I recently won a Obsession Turmoil. I took it to my local shop and the guys got it to about 45lb draw weight. In my rush to be able to shoot the Obsession, I kept raising the pounds on the Hoyt. I would struggle but managed to pull it to 45lbs. I still couldn't pull the Obsession. Now I have strained my muscles. So I backed the Hoyt down to about 38-40 and I don't struggle to pull it, well, just a bit. I really want to build my muscles to be able to shoot the Obsession. Am I just trying to rush the pounds? Should I just keep shooting the Hoyt and working the weights? Is it possible for a 105lb old gal to shoot 45-50lbs? I shoot every evening, minimum of 20 arrows. I really want to hunt this fall with the Obsession.

elkguide likes this.
  2. w33kender

w33kender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, you're rushing the pounds. Whether in the weight room or with a bow, slowwwww, incremental increases in the weight is the ticket. Also, and I'll take some heat for saying this but...imo, less arrows every day is better. Once fatigue sets in, bad habits follow and become ingrained.
    yes, stick with the Hoyt. You've already strained muscles rushing things. Slow and steady. Eventually, you'll be able to pull 45 pounds. Good luck!

Hogs need lovin too and Okiebob like this.
  3. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    First yes it is possible for you to shoot 45lbs. But speaking as an old guy we dont get gains like we used to so you have to pace yourself. With the weights the key to building strength is higher weight. Endurance comes from more reps. So when doing exercises find the weight that you can lift about 3 times before you cant lift them anymore. You need to do these reps slow, steady and in form. If you cant maintain form then its too much weight back it off.

Also pushups are great to help build strength for shooting. As a lady you have to be careful because you dont want to bulk up like a dude just maybe tone. So every morning you get up do as many pushups as you can. rest for a minute and then repeat 2 more times. Do the same thing before you go to bed every night. Do these push ups until you cant do another. keep track of how many you are doing with the goal of increasing over time. If you do that every day for a month you should see some gains but bewared you might get sore and it will be hard to draw the bow if you are not used to exercise. Just remember to pace your self and be patient.

Good luck.

4. Donna Smith

Donna Smith Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you, I will slow down.

5. Hunter Bob

Hunter Bob Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Check out this exercise video, it helped me to up the pounds on my recurve and should undoubtedly do the same for a compound bow.

6. Donna Smith

Donna Smith Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you!

7. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    IMHO I remember trying to pull back a heavier poundage and the lawnmower exercise worked the best.

8. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  9. Donna Smith

Donna Smith Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I’ve been doing some of the exercises and backed down the lbs on my Hoyt to around 38-39lbs. I can tell a big difference with the muscle. Thanks for all the info. I’m just getting better and better. 25 yards is good! Maybe a new 5 pin sight later and I’ll work on distance.

Attached Files:

10. Hunter Bob

Hunter Bob Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Looks deadly! Keep it up and you will be doing this with lethal poundage in no time.

11. ruck139

ruck139 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Make sure you do rotator cuff exercises with exercise bands, and also stretches, along with normal shoulder exercises. Strong pecs and lats, without also working the small rotator cuff muscles, is a recipe for bum shoulders. I speak from experience. Lifting weights and shooting archery for the past 30 years, without paying attention to the rotator cuffs, and now my shoulders are destroyed.

12. Ztachick

Ztachick Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You can use your bow to get stronger also. Yes it is important to pull it back but its also very important that you are able to "de cock" your bow in a safe and strong manner. Alot of people dont think about that but practicing doing that will get you a lot stronger

13. Wiscohunter

Wiscohunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    In my opinion if you want to work specific muscles that will help draw a bow there are really only a few major ones that come into play. For the hand thats actually drawing the bow it would be the bicep, rear deltoid, and to a lesser extent the lat. For the hand thats holding the bow it would be the tricep and shoulder. Someone above suggested push ups. Those are great for shoulders. But, to truly increase draw weight i believe someone would have to strengthen their rear delts and lats. Those are the two main muscles responsible for any pulling action.

14. Billy02

Billy02 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    possible to shoot that, but step by step, go a bit slow, and jump slowly until you have the strength to withstand that 50lb.

15. BowCommander

BowCommander Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would recommend you slow down and shoot a poundage you're comfortable with.

I've taken 4 years of kinesiology, 3 personal training certs and strength and conditioning. The muscles you want to strengthen are the scapula retractors (biceps, posterior deltoids, rhomboids, traps, lats). Exercises like bent over rows, reverse flies and face pulls will help you out a ton, but don't get too caught up in that. Just shoot a poundage you're comfortable with and when it starts getting easier up the weight.

16. Donna Smith

Donna Smith Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for all the info, I cranked the Hoyt to 42lbs and not straining, exercises, shooting and drinking lots more water. I can see and feel the difference. Slow is how I'm going to succeed.

copperhead likes this.