Bug Out Bags

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Backcountry, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Backcountry

Backcountry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    How many of you have a BOB ready to go for SHTF situations? I watched Red Dawn again and am slightly paranoid, lol. No, I'm not afraid of Kim Dong ***** invading, but in a situation where I need to get out NOW I am not ready.

For those of you who have one, what bag do you have and whats in it?

2. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't because I live in a city of over 1 million people and the odds of me making it out alive are slim anyway lol.

Mine would consist of a .22 pistol, .22 rifle, and as many bricks of ammo as I could fit. Basic kill kit and camping gear for Bivy style hunting. I'd be set.

3. Backcountry

Backcountry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have been leaning heavily towards a .22 for utility work. Light weight, quiet, easy to carry tons of ammo, and plenty capable of most things. I would also like to carry my Glock 23 for close range D-bags. Out here in the country I could be miles from people in an instant.

4. SPOTnSTALK

SPOTnSTALK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't worry about these things. Loved the original Red Dawn and watched it a few weeks back. If things get that bad I already know my plans and am well prepared.

Keep the Faith!

sent from an old soup can and a string

5. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Mine is in a waterproof backpack I used for camping in Atikokan, Ontario (Quetico). It's sealed with Mre's, 410, .22, ammo, first aid, rope, tape, matches, iodine, knives, etc. It's a bag my family could live on for maybe four or five days & I could walk on a 30 second notice with it.

Not really thinking I will need it, but people tell me I might.

6. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Anywhere I'd go for a situation like that is within 5 miles so I'd just be grabbing the essentials and goin. But I don't live anywhere mear a city so it'd haveta be pretty bad that I'd haveta move out very quick. Ar and 9mm are always loaded and plenty of loaded mags are within arms reach of firearms so besides throwing some stuff in day pack could be on the move in less than 5 minites.

Where I live though if anything ever went down and anybody was approaching my house you better be waiving a white flag from a long way off. Basically one road in and flat fields all around.

7. Chris1982

Chris1982 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I live in the country, I think defending my home would be a better option than leaving with a bag of gear in nearly all situations.

8. iHunt

iHunt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    With as much **** as I have in my truck, I could probably live for a week or two by just driving away from everything :lol: I have a .223 with about 200 rounds, and a 9mm with around 150 rounds in my truck at all times.

9. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    No BOB for me. If the SHTF we may try and make it to the cabin and defend it. We would grab some guns and stuff from home but that is about it.

10. Bone Head Hunter

Bone Head Hunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would be better off staying at home versus leaving for a safer destination in a SHTF scenario.

We have all the basic requirements covered to survive and defend our property for quite some time. :)

Getting my kids and grand babies there from the city is another story though...

11. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    LA police gear exclusive gear back. I have a basic and gun wound med kit. Some ammo, water filtration pellets, magazines, and some MRE's. Lighter, GPS and compass.

12. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Not worried about it. If it happens, surviving a few weeks on my own will be the least of my worries. It's the years following you should be more worried about :D

13. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I dont but want to get a set up going. As money allows I do plan on getting a few things up. Probably will have a backpack with basics if I have to leave fast, and a decent side duffel bag if I can get in a vehicle and go.

14. jvanhees

jvanhees Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I don't have one, so as of now would be better of defending my home. Not a bad idea tho.

15. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have few guns but other than that I wouldn't waste the time worrying about it. No matter what happens in the world America will always be the best place to live.

The people that travel know what I mean. No other country compares to the US of A.

ANd if nuke do start going off do you really want to live underground for the rest of your life?

16. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We have BOB in the vehicles. They're mostly for "damn, I'm stuck out here and I either have to walk out or campout for awhile and wait for help".

The vehicles aslso have basic, separate (sometimes redundant) stuff... food/water/basic survival stuff in them at most all of time.... which, out here is really rather practical.

Everybody really should have supplies to 'shelter-in-place' (@ your house or property) but also a BOB. There are plenty of non-apocalyptic reasons why people have to quickly evacuate their homes. (fires, tornadoes, earthquakes, chemical spills.... etc..)

Folks should also have a plan on how/where to meet their loved ones if, for whatever reason, the home is unaccessible.

17. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm in agreement with the wasting time really worrying about it, but I wouldn't count on the "American spirit" to be a fall back plan. Look at how things play out in recent natural disasters, now imagine that in a larger scale. If anything does ever happen it most likely won't be nation wide but I wouldn't want to be in the effected area.

18. fatsbucknut

fatsbucknut Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have a 10/22 take-down stuffed with lots of ammo, firesteel, hatchet, para-cord, Swiss army knife, etc. It doubles as a camping pack as well.

19. FEB

FEB Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You guys talking about staying home and defending your castle, are missing the whole point of "the bug out bag".
    EVERYONE SHOULD HAVE ONE! ......... But I do not :D

20. Bone Head Hunter

Bone Head Hunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If I had to leave my castle I could grab my hunting pack, 22 and be good for the 3 days that a BOB is suppose to hold you for...

Guess I do a have BOB after all.. :)