Bucks on trail camera, how often?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by SparrowHawk, Sep 12, 2014.

1. SparrowHawk

SparrowHawk Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    How often do you guys get pictures of the same buck on trail camera? I have run 5 trail cameras from about June until now. I usually check them every 2-3 weeks. Sometimes when I check I really won't have any mature bucks. I got several really nice bucks on camera 4 weeks ago, and not one of them showed back up when I checked 2 weeks after. I take caution in scent and wind when checking cameras. Are the deer pattering me? Are they just not moving as much during the summer? I know there are a lot of factors that go into place but I am curious to how often you get the same buck to show on camera throughout summer, and does it change transitioning into the pre rut/ rut.

2. ultramax

ultramax Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If you run cams over minerals or bait stations that are kept up all year long,I think you can check them all you want but if you want to put cams on trails where your scent comes in contact with brush or the red ir flash you will effect a certain amount of mature deer.

I look at it just like my stand sites ie. How many times can I hunt a stand before I tip off the deer I am trying to kill and let me add the trail cam is going to be much much closer then any bow stand I setup. Ps. Blackflash cams are a game changer when you want to get the best chance of killing a deer you get pics of.

Good friend of mine showed me a trick of putting dead cams on spots all season then changes the cam to a working cam in the period he wants to get his pics,at least the deer get used to the box on the tree... Food for thought

3. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Total crapshoot. Im running 23 trail cameras on 3 different farms. Some set up on mineral licks, some on bait stations, some trails, some mock scrapes. Its completely random. The bucks are feeding on a mixture of beans, alflafa and corn right now up here, and they dont always bed in the same place.