buckle release's or thumb trigger releases?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by BigEv, Jul 21, 2014.

1. BigEv

BigEv Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    hey guys. im looking for suggestions on a release. im not sure if i should get a thumb release or a trigger? what are the main differences?

2. MTSCMike

MTSCMike Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use the trigger. I'm an old competitive firearm shooter so trigger control is sort of a natural for me. I also like the fact that I can draw my bow with my arm (strap) alone and keep my shooting hand relaxed so I can focus only on the trigger.

Your mileage may vary.

3. CJCullen

CJCullen Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot a scott trigger release. I grew up shooting trigger releases and tried a thumb release once but found it to awkward, granted I never gave it a real chance maybe next summer Ill retry but I also love how my trigger release fits me. Like MTSCMike siad it allows the arm to draw the bow not the hand.

4. AJBowhunter

AJBowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I guess my first question would be is what are you more used to shooting? I am assuming that you are more used to shooting a wrist strap style in which case, switching to a t-handle will be a little bit awkward to start with and get used to it for a while. Personally, I shoot a T-handle. To be honest I made the switch, because I knew they were becoming the hot new thing, and I saw a guy using one on a hunting show. Thankfully, after spending $120 on a release I had no idea I would like I did. I can definitely tell the difference in my shooting level between the two. There are pros and cons to each one, but in the end the decision comes down to preference; just like everything else with archery.

The pros to a T-handle, IMO, are when hunting you can clip it to your d-loop and forget it, with a properly set t-handle you can still feel it through your gloves (if you use gloves at all). Crossing over to the target aspect, there is a reason why tournament archers have been using T-handles for decades, they are more accurate, because T-handles typically have smaller jaws or hooks. The less contact you have with the string the better, and your wrist style straps usually have bigger jaws; sometimes they are smaller though. Talking price point, T-handles are in the next level of price range for a quaility one; plan on spending between $100-$200. This is different from the wrist style in the sense that you can pick up a really good reliable one for under $100; granted you can spend more than a $100 on a wrist style. These are just some of the pros and cons to these different styles of releases that I can think of in the couple short minutes I took to write this. Hopefully, it helps. Have fun shooting!

5. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've always wanted to switch to a t-handle for hunting, just for the simple fact that I can clip it on the string and forget it until its time. I wear light gloves at most and for some reason, the thought of pulling a heavy hunting bow back in cold weather with a t-handle freaks me out. Of course it might all be for nothing as I've never tried it though.

I can just envision my hands being half froze, trying to hold back a bow while a giant is in front of me.

6. frantzracing0

frantzracing0 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shot a trigger for years and switched to a 4 finger t handle. I do like it and I like that it stays on my D loop but I personally like a trigger more. Im considering switching back to the wrist release.

7. ATbuckhunter

ATbuckhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I go with the trigger but i have been thinking of going with a thumb release lately. The trigger release is easy to use if you havae any experience with guns but thumb releases have the benefit of letting you shoot with heavy gloves on easier.

8. zjohn14

zjohn14 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It's all what you like or what feels best to you. That being said I done this thread an wanted to let you know I jus got a tru ball assassin an love it. It's one of the best feeling dual caliper releases I've shot it's got tons of adjustment to. I have used the shark by Scott for 5 years I liked it to jus wanted to try something different. That's jus my 2 cents. But I totally agree with ajbowhunter-good post

9. bryanfichter

bryanfichter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I just ordered my first thumb release the stan shootoff after using a wrist release for a while. I'll let you know what I like more when I get the stan shootoff

10. BigEv

BigEv Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    thanks guys. for a thumb release or t handle, can the bow be fired with the thumb or is it more of a back tension? please explain this is detail for me.

11. bryanfichter

bryanfichter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thumb release is set off by the thumb

12. BigEv

BigEv Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i apologize for my lack of knowledge on releases. ive always shot with a simple double caliper, and im looking to bring my groups in tighter. thanks for your help.