Buckeye Poisoning

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Jeepwillys, Oct 31, 2015.

1. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    So yesterday I went out about 1:30 got within 25 yards of my stand and noticed, about the same distance away, 2 deer bedded by a log facing away from me. The wind was side ways and they hadn't noticed me. I dropped my gear got out my range finder and Nocked an arrow. There was good sized oak between me and them so I started around to the side to get a better shot. I could see the doe's head clearly and she was rolling back and forth a little, mouth gaped and salivating like she had just been running. I figured they weren't moving because they were soaking up the sun, in a lull, and tired. Didn't think much of it, Ive seen the same thing in cattle, where you could walk right up to them.

After a bit the fawn pegged me and jumped up which made the doe get up. The fawn was burning a hole through me and stomping and the doe was just standing there looking the other way, with the tree blocking her vitals. After a bit the fawn calmed down and stepped toward the doe and went between her back legs trying to nurse. The doe spun around and began cleaning the face of the fawn. She finally stepped forward and I settled my pin and took the shot. Looked and sounded good. They ran about 50 yards and stopped and staggered. I figured that was it, she was done. After a minute she laid down behind a tree. I slowly started backing up to my gear to get out of there and give her time. When I stepped out of the sun into shade and back out again she noticed me and they bolted down the wagon road about 100 yards and veered off the north side of the ridge out of sight.

So I figured I would continue my hunt and retrieve her at dark. After about 2 hours the wind switched on me. I checked the weather and it had changed. I got down to retrieve my arrow and start tracking. Blood was good on the arrow and a solid path through the woods made it easy to move along at a good clip. At the spot i saw them veer off the road I looked up and saw her laying there. I made my way over to her, I caught movement to my left. It was the fawn. She was now salivating and her head was rolling around like she was drunk and had no strength to hold it. Thats when my stomach sank knowing that something was off. I walked towards the fawn to get a clear shot. Got within 15 yards and put an arrow past the left side of her sternum exiting the right side of her spine. Several scenarios went through my mind as to why. Fermented fruit and they were drunk, best case scenario. Of course EHD, CWD came to mind.
    The fact that that fawn was 100% alert earlier was ruling out the Drunk scenario in my mind. Now I've got two deer down that I can't eat.

I called my wife to bring gloves and went back to the truck to drop my gear and tell the land owner what was going on. He mentioned that, that side of the property had a few Buckeyes near the Branch and they could be poisoned. He noticed earlier in the week that something besides squirrels had been eating them. Not being from this area and knowing nothing of Buckeyes. So i researched it and it seemed to fit the bill. {Both Deer were bloated, the doe to the point that she had slight prolapsing of the vaginal and rectal walls.} I loaded them up, too get them out of the woods, not wanting to chance anything else coming in contact with them.
    I'm not going to eat them and I'm trying to contact the Warden/Biologist to see what he thinks. I'll put my tags on them if necessary but would prefer to not have to.

Sorry for the long post just wondering Y'all's thoughts on this and if you have ever experienced this.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2015
  2. archbunk

archbunk Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Never knew that animals could get poisoned from Buckeyes. Glad we don't have them here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Jeepwillys

Dislikes Received:
    Just talked to a State Trooper. They fill in for the Biologist until they can show up. He wants me to tag and report the doe. He's never heard of deer eating or being poisoned by buckeye's. Gotta buy another tag. I guess thats just the price of doing business.

4. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Not that it can't happen, but I have never heard of such. Sound like something you would typically hear of deep into a harsh winter or something.

I could see a fawn maybe, but an older doe would be wise to the food sources. Wildlife have the good sense onnwhat they can and can't eat. Poisoning usually results from human introduction, either maliciously or unknowingly so.

Not sure what you have going on there

5. Jeepwillys

Dislikes Received:
    Like i posted. I don't know much about Buckeyes. What I read online was mostly about the effects on livestock and the examples given of occurrences were similar. The deer were showing the same symptoms, which leads to coma and death. It also said that they have a chemical that is addictive. So once they start they will continue to come back, and if there is enough they will over dose basically. There wasn't much of a mast crop this year here and the beans have been picked weeks ago. Maybe she ate one and then wanted more. Animals including humans do stupid stuff sometimes. I don't know.

6. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Never heard of that either...weird. In regards to whether they should count for the contest, I don't see why not considering they weren't immobile. They were still clearly alert and reacting. Maybe ask Fitz and see what he thinks.

7. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't disagree with the trooper. A game tag has nothing to do with you eating it. I have had yotes get to my deer overnight and I still burned a tag. Its just how it is.

8. Jeepwillys

Dislikes Received:
    I agree Heckler. But i think those scenarios are different. I put down two animals that were definitely sick. Which may have prevented a long painful death and also something else getting sick. Given, the first animal I wouldn't have known it was sick until I recovered it. So I did take that animal in regards to "Harvesting". The other was a mercy kill, if you will. I do believe that because both animals were sick I shouldn't have had to tag them. That being said, I believe I did the right thing, made the right call. In both my email to the Biologist and my conversation with the trooper " I stated that "I would prefer not to use my tags, But would willingly if necessary." I'm not complaining about using them. Just a little surprised that I had to in this scenario.
    Just wanted to share the story and see if anyone else had seen something like this.
    And thats good on your part, for using your tags on deer you've taken and not recovered. It's good to see people playing by the rules.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2015
  9. okcaveman

okcaveman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Some states are sticklers on burning those tags. Couple years ago in Colorado elk hunting and came up on a bull, hit by a truck, still alive. Called the appropriate authorities, they came out and put it down. Asked what they were going to do with it and was basically told nothing. We offered to take the meat, and we're told only if you burn your $575 tag. A friend did so just so the meat wouldn't go to waste

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk