Buck Tag Post-Partum Depression

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by quiksilver, Oct 25, 2011.

?

Do you ever feel down after tagging out?

1. NO WAY! I DREAM of tagging out!

13 vote(s)
    28.3%
  2. I can relate. I just plain LOVE hunting, so no matter what, I still long to be out there.

26 vote(s)
    56.5%
  3. The King has lost his scruples, but does have excellent taste in Youtube videos.

5 vote(s)
    10.9%
  4. Stupid Poll. I refuse to vote.

6 vote(s)
    13.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. quiksilver

quiksilver Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? No!

[video=youtube_share;PGIPCGyihxw]http://youtu.be/PGIPCGyihxw[/video]

So yesterday, I was actually slightly depressed all afternoon. I sat at work, grumbling around about the loss of my hunting season. This happens to me, and I just can't explain it. Every year that I tag my buck early, I get a little bit moody and whiny because my season is over. No matter how big a buck I shoot... No matter how great the hunt was... There are moments where I'd trade it all back in, just for one more hunt.

Now, we all know that hunting season is never over. I do still have my Resident Pennsylvania tag, and I've got a couple guys who I'll clear a morning for, who I'd like to see smash a nice buck.

At this point, I'm down to one target buck, and until I can get on him, I'm relegated to "guide" duty. In all honesty, that's not such a bad fate. In most cases, when I take someone out and help them fill their tag, I actually get more out of it than if I had taken the animal myself.

But seriously, do any of you guys ever get that feeling in your gut that you wish you hadn't pulled the trigger, and your season was still alive, with all those irons still hot in the fire?

Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  2. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'd like to find out if I regret it or not. Haven't put any bone in the ground for three seasons.

Blessings......Pastorjim

3. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I can see where you're coming from, but I haven't experienced it for a season or so. Two years ago when I tagged out on the 20th of October, I turkey hunted, so that was a blast (I usually don't get out for fall birds). Then when I took my buck last year in rifle season relatively early, I hunted more with my dad (which was also very fun). So in a sense, tagging out a little early opened some opportunities that may not have happened otherwise. I'm not sure I'll get this feeling this season...yet:D

4. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It's been so long since I've tagged out early that I forget what that feels like. I miss those days. I used to get a lot more squirrel & fall turkey hunting in. Both things I enjoy, but almost never do anymore. For a few years it was nice getting to bowhunt so much, but I certainly wouldn't lose any sleep if I had a year or 2 of tagging out early.

5. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I feel you King. I had a conversation yesterday with a buddy of mine about this very thing. I'll never pass a buck I want to shoot because it is too early in the season, but I seriously wish I could hunt during the rut for a buck next year. It's just different, more exciting while sitting there waiting.

Early season hunting is more like a chess game to me where you try to figure out the bucks move before he even makes it and be there when the wind allows you to intercept him. Rut is mass chaos, and you literally never know what you may see. It makes sitting there in the slow hours much easier!

6. johnstonab

johnstonab Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well I have never taged out. The most I have gotten in one season is 2 deer. In VA we are allowed 6 deer with upto three of those being antlered bucks. So far this year i only have a doe in the freezer so that leaves plenty of chances for both buck and does this year. I know i don't have that much freezer room. A full freezer wont stop me from hunting, that's when i will donate to Hunters for the Hungry. If I ever do tag out, there is always turkey and of course those annoying tree rats. Tree rats are fast and they are good at dodging arrows making a good challenge and practice.

7. cubs204

cubs204 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    We get 2 bucks here so Ive never tagged out. If I got that lucky I would be rather excited to put the bow down and pick up the video camera for a buddy, especially if I tagged out early and was able to go along with him during the rut. Im sure there would be some longing to be able to get back out there and go after some more bone, but we can shoot as many does as we can afford tags for so I would still get to do quite a bit of hunting in late season.

8. Iamyourhuckleberry

Iamyourhuckleberry Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Have truck, can travel. Take your game to another court! Let the sleepers dream and you live LIFE one new place at a time.

This works for me anyway. Each week is filled with new anticipations, new adventures, and new friends. Dropping the hammer is never a worry anymore (I remember those "one tag" days though).

Trevor is already on this path. I'm sure he will assess it with the same view. At the moment, if school wasn't completely in his way...
    Completion, however, will make things better in the end; he knows it. It's a necessary detour to assure more travel.

Good hunting Mr. King. When you're ready to take on my part of the world, let me know. I will gladly guide you.

9. Vito

Vito Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    No. Never.

10. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It wouldn't matter how big of a buck I shoot, I still want to be out there. I am a "competitor" (with the deer), and the day I don't still want to be out there is the day I sell my gear. I strive to fill my tag on October bucks every year because I find it a greater challenge than November hunting. In October, I am hunting bucks on their terms rather than hunting bucks blindly chasing tail all hours of the day. Don't get me wrong I LOVE hunting November bucks, but there is just something about early season bucks to me.

The last 9 years I have 6 bucks pre-November and 2 November bucks.

I know all to well the feeling you speak of.

11. bz_711

bz_711 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I can understand having that feeling.
    Lucky to be 2 buck state here in IL...only in '05 did I fill both buck tags early - but was kind of fun when gun season rolled around and I knew I was "doe only" at that point - basically turned into head guide at camp, love putting others on their deer.
    Not to mention that season I had a 1yr old boy and a 1 month old boy...more time at home was a good thing that year.

King - you can tell that you just enjoy getting out (same as I would)...there's still plenty for you to do to enjoy this great fall season and rut. If it gets too bad and you need a quick fix - find another state border to jump and get after them again!

12. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    In Indiana, we are allowed only one buck total throughout all bow and gun seasons combined. However, in my particular county, I'm allowed up to 8 bonus antlerless tags. Also, there is no statewide limit for antlerless deer. You can tag out in a county, then simply hunt a different county for antlerless. That being said, I doubt I would do that as I have plenty of meat in the freezer. But there are plenty of homeless shelters that will accept deer meat and processing is free at certain stations if you donate the meat. Therefore, my season is never over until I say it's over or the DNR end date arrives. I'm happy to say I have a 150" deer on my wall from muzzleloader several years ago, but would love to put a "friend" up there for him. My 6 year old daughter has also informed me she wants to see another deer on the wall. Since I've never taken a deer with a bow, I'm not sure if I'll shoot the first one that comes along, or if I'll pass on a smaller buck until later in the season with the hopes of taking another big boy over the next couple months. Decisions, decisions.

13. CowboyColby

CowboyColby Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    In Colorado we are only allowed one deer tag :( Tagged out early and now just sitting through the rest of the season or do as Will mentioned (or helps ya out with) travel to another state :nana: Keep on hunting. Waiting for the trip to come is going to kill me though :sheep:

14. iHunt

iHunt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I know how you feel, I shot my buck on September 26. We have until December 31 to shoot a buck here in KS, so I have quite a bit of spare time now. I have been filming my friend, and I will shoot a couple does during the season. I will also spend some more time with my dog pheasant hunting

15. selfbros

selfbros Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have more hobbies to deal with then hair on my head. Yes is sucks to be done with something that you put more time into preparing to do then actually doing it. Back in the day, we had only one permit in IL by mail. When I filled the tag I was spending that next day in the marsh hunting waterfowl, or in the MO Ozarks catching and releasing Lunkers into the cool trout springs, or just staying home and not pissing off the wife with my constant absents.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  16. Josh/OH

Josh/OH Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I think Scott summed it up perfectly... and I think Cole must be suffering the most (poor guy!) lol..
    I don't regret pulling the trigger on Oct. 15, but I'm not sure how well I'm going to take it come the 2nd week of Nov., when I have a camera in my hand, rather than a bow. At the very least, I'll be learning more about my local deer and hopefully be able to capture a good buck being killed by my cousin, with my camera.
    If I fill my only buck tag early next season, however, I have a feeling I'll be hitting up some friends in KY or IN for short stay in November.

17. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well here in IN we only get one buck. I have some pretty awesome signs at my house, however I only have 1 target buck. This can make hunting very difficult. Fortunately, I'm going out of town to hunt this weekend, and probably most of the following weekend and the next couple days. However, shooting my lone buck will ultimately end my season of hardcore hunting. Does are pretty easy to come by so they're not as exciting (the hunt and the shot is, the challenge is just not as great as getting a glimpse of a big old buck).
    So yes, if I hit the release on a big old buck, after that, I'm just meat hunting which is still fun, it's just not the same.

18. gutone4me

gutone4me Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    In 2009 I tagged out on my bow buck on Sept 17. It was a long fall until gun season. But the fall walleye fishing is excellent !

19. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    In the last 5 years I've been able to buck hunt the rut.....ONCE!! I've buck tagged out before October 17th 4 times now in that span. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THE BUCKS I'VE DROPPED BUT MAN I MISS THE RUT!!

20. shed

shed Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If it's the right buck.. I wouldn't care one bit. On the other hand, I'm fortunate, I can get multiple tags ...and even jump the border here to E. Wa and hunt..