***Buck Brothers - Team 23***

Discussion in '2016 Deer Contest' started by Pitman, Aug 15, 2016.

1. Pitman

Pitman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Great deer buckjeezy.. hope you get a shot at him

2. JasonOhio2018

JasonOhio2018 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well opening weekend has come and gone here in Ohio. I had two hunts. Saturday evening I sat up on an oak ridge behind a corn field and got totally skunked. I don't even think I saw a squirrel. Yesterday I sat in a stand in the corner of that same corn field that has a creek bottom running behind it. I didn't see a deer until 10 min before dark. I had two young 8 points (110 inch range) down in the creek bottom start sparring. They wouldn't leave and I ended up climbing down with them sparring 40 yds away. Pretty sure I got out without them knowing. Hope everybody has a good opener on the 1st!

3. ash d

ash d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Calling for rain on the 1st. Hopefully the weather man stays true to his forecast and is wrong.

4. JasonOhio2018

Dislikes Received:
    Is this the same deer?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Pitman

Dislikes Received:
    Im starting to see this the way I have to explain it to my 4 year old... we have to go to bed and wake up 4 times and then we can go deer hunting! :lol:

6. DoubleLung84

DoubleLung84 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just checking in guys. Took a shot at a doe the other night, but wasn't able to connect. I'll be out out sometime this weekend and should be able to get another shot.

7. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well gents my general season has started. I haven't hung up the bow but I am carrying a rifle too sometimes. Just depends on how we're trying to hunt. I passed a really nice 4x4, maybe 4x5 Sunday morning with the rifle. My dad and I were walking up a hill at first light and all the sudden 40 yards away, the buck stands up right in the open. He was on top of the hill and all I could see was 2/3 to 1/2 of his neck up to his head and antlers. He was backlit by the sunrise and I could just see the cross hairs in my scope. I told my dad jokingly I can shoot him in the face but we ended up passing on that chance. The wind was in our favor blowing right in our face and we both thought we could find him and he wouldn't run too far. We stared each other down for about 2 minutes and he ran off. then we waited about 20 minutes before we moved again not wanting to run him off too far. Well we hunted almost every inch of the 400 acres that morning and never saw him again. Sat on he property that evening and didn't see a single deer. We were both kicking ourselves later on it was just a little too sketchy.

This was a piece of property I had never hunted before. we don't have any camera's on it and really wasn't sure what was there. My dad hunted it last year but it was after the land owner put cows in and the bucks had moved on. That's why my dad suggested hunting it early this year. It's really open country and tough bow hunting so I decided to take the rifle. Although after surveying the property more, I think we might be able to put together some bow hunting on it next year. There's a TON of deer sign on the property, we just need to figure out what trails they are using. If we can get some idea of how they are traveling early while still in the velvet, I think I'll have a chance next year to shoot a pretty good buck with the bow.

At any rate I'm not giving up. I really wish I could shoot a doe cause they would be easy pickings at my dad's house but I'll hang in there and see what I can do. It's only my 3rd year bow hunting and I haven't been blanked yet and I'm not about to start now. Keep up the hard work everyone and hopefully it will all pay off!

8. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm going to guess "yes" but it's pretty hard to tell. Nice deer though.

9. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Clinton, I know it's tough but you're doing the right thing. Good for you! All the hunting in the world won't replace the family time and you've got great hunting right there. I'm hoping a big one moves your way during the rut. Good luck this season.

10. JasonOhio2018

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks, I think (hope) it is the same deer also. I'm happy he stayed around after shedding his velvet. The hard horned pic is him on 9/21. I also have daylight pics of this deer. This is my number one target buck. The trap has been set. I'm just waiting for the beans to dry down so they will return to eating them, then wait on a cold front. I'm staying out of that stand until everything is perfect. Good luck guys. Here is another pic of him still in velvet.
    [​IMG]

11. joe_bow

joe_bow Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Pulled a card today and all does. Will definitely get 50pts this year

12. vermontwhitetail

vermontwhitetail Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Buckjeezy, he's a stud. Awesome buck

13. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Ya that's a fantastic buck man. Hope you get a shot at him!

14. TheHardWoods913

TheHardWoods913 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    One more sleep fellas!!!! Heading out after work tonight! Everything worked out well for me as I couldn't schedule the proposal for tomorrow, so it is now happening on the 14th! Deer hunting all weekend and I can't wait! Good luck to everyone, be safe, and shoot straight!

15. youngfart

youngfart Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well I finally made it out to my blind yesterday, sat from 3 till 7. Never saw a thing, switched out my SD cards and only had few bucks and a bunch of mature does on it .2 heavy 4x4's ,never checked the other cam as it was to far for me to walk to.I'd post the pictures but photobucket won't allow me to do it right now, I'll try to figure it out and post them later.http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z390/youngfart/STC_0084_zpsddlr93rs.jpg
    http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z390/youngfart/STC_0094_zpsloan80ba.jpghttp://http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z390/youngfart/STC_0026_zpsgesisknl.jpg
    http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z390/youngfart/STC_0026_zpsgesisknl.jpg
    1stOne by the hay bail has small antlers but the second one is about a 114 buck with a huge body and the yote picture is a good photo

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
  16. ash d

ash d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Heading out in the am tomorrow for opening day. Pm showers there calling for so not sure about afternoon...... maybe I won't have too if mr big steps out.

17. JasonOhio2018

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck team!

18. Pitman

Dislikes Received:
  19. vermontwhitetail

Dislikes Received:
    Headed out in VT for the opener tomorrow morning. Will be sitting over the food plot. Supposed to be 45 deg and chance of a shower. Sounds like good hunting weather. Deer, turkey and bear all in season!

20. vermontwhitetail

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck to everyone tomorrow!!!!!