Broadheads in your quiver

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by BB4tw, Jul 28, 2016.

1. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    5 arrow quiver. Same shafts.

3 have German Kinetics, 2 have Slick Tricks.

I carry a couple mechanicals in my pack, in case a turkey steps out.

2. tc racing

tc racing Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    carry all the same. but my quiver is now wore out and my arrows won't stay in place. got to find one for small diameter shafts. any ideas out there? I had a 4 arrow quickie quiver before. any suggestions will be helpful.

I never wanted to take a chance carrying different arrows just because I don't want the temptation to shoot at small game because I'm bored. my luck I would shoot at a squirrel and turn to see the buck of my dreams run off into neverland.

3. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I usually have 2 HellRazors and 2 Killzones in my quiver. In the past I've carried a small game head for grouse too.

4. happyhunter

happyhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I carry 4 arrows, 3 with broadhead, and one with a field point. I like to take a practice shot now and then.... I always hunt with matching broadheads.... One less thing to worry about.

5. Moosedog

Moosedog Newb

Dislikes Received:
    With my recurve I carried 4 Magnus broadheads one rubber blunt and my favorite a Judo point. This poor deer wandered into my antelope blind and since the season was open for both I couldn't resist:) Does anyone shoot Judo points on carbon arrows out of their compound? Do they hold up to shooting rotten stumps and stuff like that? I really like taking a shot now and then just for fun.

Attached Files:

6. BuffaloBill

BuffaloBill Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've got a four arrow quiver. So far I plan on packing Stinger Buzzcuts. But i'm also thinking about carrying a couple of mechanicals beside them. I'm leaning toward the 1 3/8" Grim Reapers.

7. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I see no need to do this if your bow is tuned. I only shoot fixed blades and have practiced with broadheads at 80 yards before and could kill a deer at that range if I absolutely needed to for a follow up.

On topic, it doesn't matter if I have a 5 arrow quiver or a 3 arrow; they all have to be the same. I can't help it lol.

8. theleo

theleo Newb

Dislikes Received:
    All the arrows in my quiver have the same broadhead.

I have one question about carrying a single mechanical for long range follow up shots (never used a mechanical myself because they're illegal where I hunt). What's the reasoning for using the mechanical at long range? Simply because they fly better? It runs counter intuitive to what I learned growing up, in that if things have gone wrong and your resorting to long range shooting the value is more towards creating a linger wound track through the animal than a wider one with less penetration.

9. BuffaloBill

BuffaloBill Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The wind is going to have less of an effect on a mechanical broadhead at longer distances compared to a fixed head due to the smaller profile.

10. Robinson

Robinson Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have Muzzy MX-3's and include a small game head for slow days in the stand

11. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Mine is a 6 arrow quiver. All 6 arrows are the same. 5 arrows have RAGE Chisel Tips on them, one has a Vortex head on it. Just in case.

12. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's not all the same :) .