Broadheads, Broadheads, Broadheads...

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by indynotch50, Apr 4, 2011.

1. RangerClay

RangerClay Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I love my 100gr. Slick Trick Mags for deer. I have tried a few of these newer broadheads with flashy advertising and they don't hold a candle to Tricks.

I'm trying a new broadhead for turkeys this year. I'm using NAP Gobbler Getters.

Here are the Slick Trick facts:

The blades are thicker than most other broadheads: .035"

The blades come from Solingen and have a Rockwell hardness of 54, I believe, which is harder than all others except the Silver Flames.

The blades are knife grade steel.

There are four blades, with a combined cutting surface of 2" on the smaller, Standard head, and even more on the Magnums.

The Alcatraz locking system causes the blades to be interlocked within the ferrule. They cannot pop out.

The new ferrules are constructed of a steel that is stronger than titanium.

They fly extremely well and are guaranteed to fly like a field point, or you get your money back.

The owner of the company will quickly and faithfully reply to all your inquiries.

They are about $10 less than most G5 blades that are copies of Slick Tricks.

2. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    How would the blood runners react at an angle? My main stand location is in a tree at the top of a hill and everything i'm shooting is at the bottom of the hill. Sounds odd but it gives me 360 degree shooting but can make for a slightly steeper shot.

3. indynotch50

Dislikes Received:
    I've read where the slick tricks make a whistling noise. Is this still the case?
    I was thinking last night and they may be at the top of my list so far.

4. Hoyt 'N' It

Hoyt 'N' It Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've heard this for many broadheads, I've never experienced it or heard whistling. I wouldn't worry about it, the deer won't know what hit them anyways!

5. Indiana Hunter

Indiana Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I agree, with that bow and your setup the arrow will be there faster then they can react to it. Even more so inside 30 yards.

6. stikbow26

stikbow26 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The angle for the Blood Runners is no different than any fixed blade head.. They are awesome and make some huge holes.. The three blade dose whistle also but out of the 6 bucks killed by them that I know of not one jumped the string...They also fly awesome same as FP for me..

7. jaybirdm

jaybirdm Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Try Grim Reaper's Razor tip 1and 3 eighth cut no o-rings or retention plates. Very accurate and will not open in quiver and if it did once you pull it back out it will close automatically. Never had a problem with it opening very accurate and engineered not to kick out like other open from the front expandables. Now blood trail's are just nasty.

Extremely sharp. No noise in flight(flight sounds whistles flaps or impact sounds such as the rear deployment broadheads metal to metal clack). No accidental deployment.

P. S. I use to think those didn't open sometimes to after the pass thru because when you pick up your arrow the blades would be closed. After examining the deer three blade cuts entering and exiting, and then the blades close back up by it's spring system after exiting unless there is damage to one of the blades.

I also no there are alot of good broadheads out there.
    Good luck to all!!!!

Last edited: Apr 8, 2011
  8. BEAR09

BEAR09 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've only experienced a whistling noise post shot with a slick trick. This took place last November after the 10 pointer I just smoked only went 35 yards before dropping in some tall grass. He was gone within 30 seconds. I was whistling all the way back to the truck. :nana:

I've shot a few different broadheads over the years...some fixed and some mechanical. I believe the key is proper shot placement. Practice often and become an accurate shot. That said, I will be sticking with Slick Trick and the G5 Montec CS. Out of the four deer this season...three were dropped within sight (between 35 and 70 yards). I would have been able to see the fourth if it weren't for the trees and the sun going down. I also want to share that all four were pass throughs!

Best wishes.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2011
  9. indynotch50

Dislikes Received:
    You guys have been amazing with all your answers and there has been a lot of great discussion with no bashing.

That said, I found an awesome deal on some meat seekers and they came highly recommended from a guy at work who is a hard core bowhunter who has helped me a ton. So I'm going to try them on a turkey here in a few weeks.
    Also, I out my montec practice heads on and they flew like my field points so I'm confident in my broadhead shooting ability.

Again thank you all. If there's any other suggestiins and testimonials, still post them up. No sense in letting a good thread fade away and I will be reporting back.

They were a good enough deal that I bought a pack as practice so I can post results soon.

10. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2011
  11. indynotch50

Dislikes Received:
    So I got my meat seekers. I bought an extra pack because I may make some practice heads.
    Anyways, I went out to see how some fly... WOW. I didn't touch a thing and they flew IDENTICAL to my field points.
    I need to get the montecs back out, they fly almost identical as well, but not near as well as the meat seekers.

12. bowhuntjoe

bowhuntjoe Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry I'm new to hear so HELLO (or "giday" if thats what's expected from the Australian)... anyway :) I could not recomend G5 Monotec fixed blade & Grim Reaper mechanical blade broadheads enough ! IMO best heads on the market. I shoot the G5 Monotecs currently with the Z7 Magnum & could not be happyer with them mate :)

13. indynotch50

Dislikes Received:
    Hey Joe! Welcome to the site and thanks for sharing. Make a thread showing some of the game you've taken down there!

14. michael_pearce

michael_pearce Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Rage 2 blade pictures worht a 1000 words!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Indiana Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    Mike, that is a beautiful buck, nice job on that guy!!!

Did you get a pass through with that shot?

I tested the 2 blade rages last week and came away quite impressed. First shots were through my foam target. They passed with flying colors, both for flight and performance. Last test was through a 5/8's piece of plywood at 20 yards. The arrow buried to the fletchings and I had a 1 3/4 complete cut through the entire piece of plywood. I didn't expect this at all. I'm shooting a Z7 at 70lbs, 28" draw, and maxima 350 arrows that weigh right around 374 grains.

16. michael_pearce

Dislikes Received:
    thank you.
    That is a long story.
    I was in my stand and about 7 min to last light I tried to turn on my sight light and the batteries were dead. So I got mad tied off my bow lowered it and unstrapped from the tree to get down. I turned around to climb down and saw him cross into my field. I pulled my bow back up nocked an arrow and ranged his path at about 30 yards. as he was walking he stopped and smelled the air then snorted. He then took a couple steps away and then moved right into my lane. I drew back and put the 40 yard pin on him and let it fly.
    I saw the hit, he bucked up and turned to his right to run and my arrow popped back out and flew end over end thru the air about 50 feet high with the nock glowing then it stuck in the ground point down. I fell to my seat and said oh my god what just happend. I thought I missed or bounced it off his head or something. I just could'nt understand it. I got down and went to my arrow and pulled it out of the ground and the broad head was gone. It was soaked the the vanes. So I started to walk to where he jumped the logs and crossed the road I really didnt see any blood until I saw that log by the road . Then I got to the road and there was a 6" wide path straight to him in the ditch. What ended up happening was the broadhead was logged in the joint of his shoulder and when he turned it popped it back out. I had to go back the next morning to take a pic of that blood trail but we had a lite rain that night and it was gone from the road.

17. Indiana Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    That is a great story, same thing happened to me this year. Saw the buck and went into kill mode. Everything happened in about 30 seconds. So the broadhead lodged into the opposite shoulder is what your saying? I might have to give these a shot this year when I'm looking to take a doe.

18. michael_pearce

Dislikes Received:
    yeah it just stuck in there and that was a rebuilt bh.
    All I can say about them is they have never failed me in killing 9 deer in 2 seasons with them.
    I just might switch to the titaniums or the 125 gr this year.

19. indynotch50

Dislikes Received:
    Well we're going to do a little thread resurrection.

I did get to play with the slick tricks. I went with the grizz tricks. They are the 1 1/4 diameter which I like because, well, it's larger than the 1 1/8 most fixed blades are.
    Needless to say the heads were amazing. At 50 yards I put all 3 in the same hole, my arrows didn't like that, especially 3 of the fletchings that were shaved off, luckily there was no arrow damage. Also, it ruined almost all the blades. I was able to piece together 1 good set of blades.
    As far as noise goes... eh... the meat seekers had a little roar as well.

I went out today and shot a meat seeker and a slick trick back to back about 5 times, and even stuck a field point in there... conclusion... CRAP! They all fly the same. I did all the shooting at 40 yards also.

I may try the 2 blade bloodrunner or rages but as of right now, I have a heck of a decision to make, and honestly, I have no idea which one to pick... oh what a great problem to have.

20. indynotch50

Dislikes Received:
    Well I got to shoot some 2 blade bloodrunners.
    In all i think they're great. They flew just like the slick tricks and meat seekers but I like the concept much more. At 60 yards, all shots were in the kill zone on my 3D target.

So I was fortunate enough this year to shoot 4 different broadheads: G5 Montec, 3 blade meat seeker, Grizz trick slick trick, and 2 blade bloodrunners.

All are great heads. In a well tuned bow, will easily get the job done. A couple thoughts and the heads in my order:
    1. 2 Blade bloodrunner: These heads fly right with my field points. Like I said above at 60 yards I was putting them in the kill zone. The blades were large and robust, 2 of the heads collided and did basically no damage. Lastly, I like the concept of their opening mechanism. I can't wait to slice open a couple big does this year.

2. Grizz Trick slick trick. For a fixed blade, they fly AMAZING. Contrary to popular belief, they didn't make any more noise than any other broadhead I shot. My only reserve to these is that they blades broke when they collided. True, they weren't made to be shot into each other, but the bloodrunners took the same abuse like a champ. I would easily take my field points off, put them in my quiver, and be totally confident in them.

3. 3 Blade Meat Seekers: These heads flew great. They will do some hardcore damage to a whitetail. They are third on the list simply because the opening action. I dont like rubber bands, there's a lot of trust for them not to open in flight or come out in the heat of the moment. Lastly, the opening action: I think the head may penetrate the hide before they open and that would mean they barely get open. If you had a great big heavy arrow I think you'd be fine.

4. G5 Montec: Not a very bad head at all. Very popular and only gaining in it. I didnt think they quite flew as well as the slick tricks or the mechanicals. I didn't have to retune my bow, but they weren't quite as consistent. I carried them last year and don't regret it at all.

I'm thankful I got the opportunity to try as many as I got to. There are a few more I would like to try, but honestly, it's going to be hard to beat the bloodrunners. I am just a big fan of the opening action and over a 2 inch cut.

I hope more of you will add to this thread with your own opinions and experiences. If you have any questions about them please dont hesitate to ask.