Broadhead tuning question

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Keep_Calm_And_Bowhunt, Apr 6, 2019.

1. Keep_Calm_And_Bowhunt

Keep_Calm_And_Bowhunt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    With turkey season starting next week, I was trying to tune my bow for broadheads since I recently got a new bow. And it seems whenever I shoot the stores with broadheads along side the arrows with field points, the broadhead arrows always tend to hit about an inch and a half - 2 inches to the left. I tried doing the method of moving my rest horizontally to adjust the arrow. And I can either get one on Target or the other. And it seems to consistently be doing it even after I move the rest. I guess I could tune it directly with the broadheads, but it's just annoying that I wouldn't be able to practice with field points without having to change something.

Any advice would be helpful

2. w33kender

w33kender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You're going to have to paper tune your bow. That will show you what's wrong with your rig. I'm sure youtube has some videos that can walk you through it.

mikey custom-g likes this.
  3. Suncrest08

Suncrest08 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Agreed, paper tune then walk back tune and adjust your rest till they hit together, shoot broadheads first so you don’t mess up your arrows. I know you said you tried moving the rest but you may have been moving it too much. Also once you move your rest to get arrows hitting together, you then have to re sight your bow.

4. mikey custom-g

mikey custom-g Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I’m a fan of a tight paper tune to start with for broadhead.

But for starters, your bow system does come into account. Hybrid, binary etc. With a Hybrid you can use your yokes to assist. Some binary /two track bows do come with yokes. Most binary bows do not. So to start off with in how you start tuning in preparation to paper tuning, your bows system does matter.

In all things, I highly recommend a draw board, especially a binary with no yokes like an Obsession. Setting your stops is key to getting the bow to get in synche which makes for throwing a clean arrow much easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm the same as the others, I paper tune (at the bow shop since I don't know anything about yoke tuning, etc.) and then I walk back tune at home to finish it off. After both of these my field points fly to same POI as broadheads. Sometimes a little bit of nock adjustment is needed for different arrows.
    I would paper tune and then walk back tune and see where you're at.
    I like to be the one shooting the bow when I have a shop paper tune it. It's surprising how many places will paper tune your bow for you and you don't need to be there...

6. TravisSouth

TravisSouth Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Papertune/bareshaft tune. I'd be cautious having others tune your bow- Slight variances with the grip can cause a lot of different groupings, particularly with the bareshaft method (vanes bandaid imperfections). I'm assuming you've had similar results with a left drifting arrow with multiple different arrows?

7. JimmyQ

JimmyQ Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Another thing to consider is you may be over-spined. Try to increase your poundage if possible or your point weight to see if that makes a difference. Just another thing to take a look at in addition to the above mentioned ideas.