Broadhead shots way off. HELP

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by Topher, Dec 13, 2013.

1. Topher

Topher Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Guys,
    I'm kinda new to bow hunting. I've been shooting since last year trying to get good enough to go hunting. I'm decent at 50 yards, good at 40 and balls on at 30.

Well here is my question to all you masters of the trade...
    For the first time I practiced with my actual broad heads today. I figured I'd get the feel of them even though they are the same weight as my practice tips, 125 grams, and the same arrows I practice with. After consistently shooting tight groups with practice tips I pulled out a brand new broad head on a brand new arrow and send it down. It hits about a foot low-left (8 o'clock), huh, that's weird, send second arrow, same result. I shot all my broad heads and got the same results. I switched arrows, swapped tips, changed distance, etc. No matter what I did the broad heads went low left. WTF!?!?!?!?!?

Is this a common thing? The fins on the tips looked perfectly straight. What am I missing????

Your help is greatly appreciated.

2. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    First, I need to say that I don't practice with field points because I don't hunt with them. I shoot my Muzzy practice heads that are EXACTLY the same as my hunting heads except they aren't sharp. This gives me a consistant flight with each shot. Many guys will tell you if your bow is "tuned" properly it should shoot broadheads and field points with the same accuracy. Well, this isn't always the case. Try getting practice heads that are the same as your hunting broadheads.

3. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Very common... I hate you shot all your broadheads. You need to tune your rest to bring your broadheads to the same point as your field tips. There are a lot of smarter guys than me here... do a search "broadhead tuning," It will involve moving your rest toward your field tips slightly until they hit the same spot on the target. As long as your bow is well tuned otherwise and your arrows are properly spined,,, you should be dialed in quickly. Don't shoot groups with broadheads though in the future, That gets expensive fast.

4. Topher

Topher Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you so much guys. I'll kook into practice heads and broad head tuning.

5. Blarney22

Blarney22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You should still broad head tune your bow but a mechanical broad head in most cases is more forgiving. Everyone has their own opinion on fixed vs mechanical so find what works for you.

Good luck

6. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Muzzy Man is dead on. Tune your rest and live happily ever after regardless of what heads you shoot. Some may require a little fine tuning but most heads will shoot well out of tuned bow. Both of my bows shoot field tips, Muzzy four blades, Slick Tricks, and Killzones the same. I've even shot several brands of mechanicals and none of the heads require fine tuning. This will get you started:

Walk Back Tunning | Bowhunting.com Blog

7. captain71

captain71 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Try slick tricks.. I never have to adjust my sights after practicing with filed tips.

8. rynb15

rynb15 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    i guess i got lucky. when i shot my practice broadhead the first time it was dead on with my field points.

9. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  10. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Best advice yet! ^ That manual has it all.

11. bornfromthecorn

bornfromthecorn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If nothing else posted earlier works, you said they were hitting in the same spot pretty much, so you could just adjust your sights so you hit there. It isn't a permanent fix but it'll get you by until you figure out what the issue is

12. Whitelynx

Whitelynx Newb

Dislikes Received:
    When I got my new ripcord arrow rest installed, my tech laser tuned the bow perfectly, took it out and shot true, until my Broadheads went on. Same as you, all to the side of the field tips. Had to adjust the arrow rest as muzzy man said. Even though the bow is professional tuned, you always bring the human element to the equation, I shoot my bow my own way that seems to work for me, if someone else shot it, they wouldn't get the same results. That easton guide was defiantly the best thing to help me tune my bow for myself.