Broadhead Questions

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by bowhuntjunkie, Sep 6, 2019.

1. bowhuntjunkie

bowhuntjunkie Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I am thinking of trying the rage hypo this year was wondering if it will be good enough for my set up. concerned about KE and pass through. specs for my set up below

mathews triax
    27 inch draw
    62ld draw weight
    easton 5mm fmj 10.2 gpi
    3 fletch
    100 grain feild point
    100 grain broadhead
    256 fps
    arrow weight with broadhead 440 grains

2. alenhard15

alenhard15 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Plenty of KE there!!

Adam
    Matthews Traverse 29/70#
    CBE Tek Hybrid
    Hamskea Hunter pro
    Dead center dead level stabilizer kit 8-6
    Carbon express maxima red SD badlands 350 spine -460gr including bh
    100g Slick Trick Viper trick

3. bowhuntjunkie

bowhuntjunkie Newb

Dislikes Received:
    i guess what i am trying to figure out if i should stick with fixed blades or mechanicals for my set up. i am just neevous about mechanicals not passing through or if i hit a shoulder woukd it at least make it through a whitetail shoukder blade

4. BuckHunterUnlimited

BuckHunterUnlimited Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This conversation is more about personal choice. I shoot fixed, because I do not have to worry about mechanical failure. I already have my drop away rest as one mechanical piece of equipment and my hook release. I just do not want a trifecta pushing failure with too many variables. Guys running tracking dogs feel more mechanicals are causing longer or lost tracks due to deflections. “The Hunting Public” guys interviewed one gentleman (see Youtube). There are many who swear by the mechanical , so I am not here to tell you not to use them (All the Drury’s shoot them, see Youtube). I run Wasp Hammer SSTs if you end up looking for fixed, changeable blades. As you can see, even the most famous have different opinions. Do what you believe to be the most ethical broadhead for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

bowhuntjunkie and Suncrest08 like this.
  5. alenhard15

alenhard15 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It’s all about personal preference, I like to shoot a fixed blade because there is no risk of failure, that being said you will have to make sure your bow is micro-tuned to make sure your broadheads shoot well.

Adam
    Matthews Traverse 29/70#
    CBE Tek Hybrid
    Hamskea Hunter pro
    Dead center dead level stabilizer kit 8-6
    Carbon express maxima red SD badlands 350 spine -460gr including bh
    100g Slick Trick Viper trick

bowhuntjunkie likes this.
  6. HillviewHuntClub

HillviewHuntClub Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree it’s about personal preference. My brothers shoot muzzy fixed blade broadheads and I shot them for awhile now I shoot NAP spitfire double cross 4 blade mechanicals and both have worked great for us.

Hillview Hunt Club

bowhuntjunkie likes this.
  7. Anthony2991

Anthony2991 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I will also be trying these this year also, I was using two blade fixed.

8. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have used rage in the past I switched to the Muzzy hybrid mechanical a few years back because they do not use a blade retention system. There will be posters that have never used a mechanical tell you they are sure to fail. This is a bunch of crap because of the way they are built they will deploy upon impact and penetration. I have experimented with rage heads with blades all the way open, 1 blade out every possible way and it did not change how the arrow flew. You are doing the right thing by calculating your KE before you put a broad head on an arrow, mechanicals work best with a higher level of KE.

9. bowhuntjunkie

bowhuntjunkie Newb

Dislikes Received:
    what would be a higher level of KE if i did the math right it say my KE is like 62 foot pounds if im saying that correctly

10. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah you are good to go, not sure how you will do against a shoulder blade though. I did put a rage titanium thru a big fellas shoulder blade and into the other shoulder, the deer went 50 yards. Piece of crap mechanical one of the blades broke off, could not be reused.:biggrin:

11. bowhuntjunkie

bowhuntjunkie Newb

Dislikes Received:
    i feel like no matter what type of broadhead that goes trough a shoukder will either have to be replaced or at least sharpened no matter fixed or mechanical. but thanks for the advice still hestiant on a mechanical but maybe ill just grab a pack and bring them in the feild with me and keep a few wasp hvs in there as well

Sota likes this.
  12. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Geez Sotapop. I'm glad you keep me in your thoughts:cool::cool:

" Sure to fail"?, I nor anyone I've talked to or read about has said that. Perhaps you can give an example of that being quoted?
    And yeah, I've been in over a 1000 bowkills so I do have ( at least a bit of input) on the subject:poke:

BHJ, can you give a reason why you want to shoot a mech head?

13. bowhuntjunkie

bowhuntjunkie Newb

Dislikes Received:
    i like the idea of a nice size cut going through that deer most shots i take where i hunt is 35 yards max snd if they run far its a swampy mess to go get them. witch i dont have a problem doing just am trying to get quicker blood loss and have them drop quickly. i know fixed blades can do what i want i just think a wide 2” size cut will open them uo and really help with blood loss. i am shooting wasp havalon right now and they seem to fly pretty well but i feel like i would be more accurate with a smaller profile broadhead like a mechanical

14. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    A legend in his own mind. What does it mean to have been in over a 1000 bow kills?

15. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That had to be an extra 0.... If not I think we have a new Tiggy

Sota likes this.
  16. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    " Sure to fail"?, I nor anyone I've talked to or read about has said that. Perhaps you can give an example of that being quoted?
    And yeah, I've been in over a 1000 bowkills so I do have ( at least a bit of input) on the subject:poke:

BHJ, can you give a reason why you want to shoot a mech head?[/QUOTE]

What lead to to believe I was referencing something you said? I did not reference a simpleton in my post.

17. bucksnbears

Dislikes Received:
    You're a superb one- upper Sotapop:cool:

18. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    No please expand on this 1000 + bow kill story it sounds like a good one.

19. bucksnbears

Dislikes Received:
    Well, I've been in on over 1000 bowkills. End of story:confused:

You see Sotapop, the OP asked an opinion on broadheads, I gave him mine. I've never shot a mech head but have been in on many hunts where others have used them.

From what IVE seen, I wouldn't recommend them on anything bigger than a turkey.
    I don't know the number of bear I've seen lost with them but the " lost" rate is way beyond my tolerance.
    I'll type this slow so perhaps you can figger it out.
    I think I've shot 52 bear with a bow. I cannot think of a single one where the arrow did not pass completely through. I've been shooting plain old Muzzys 100' s .
    I've only lost ONE bear and that was due to poor shot placement on my part.
    My ex has shot about 15 bear with a bow. Same Muzzy heads. She shoots about 45 lbs.
    Her arrows all passed through that I can remember?

I can right now think of 6 people I've sat with and watched them shot bear with mech head.( I don't what brands they were) that the bear ran off with and having the arrow sticking half way of with no exit.
    Now, I've probably been in on perhaps 250? Bear kills and really find no pleasure trailing them in the dark.
    So I guess what I'm saying is, yeah, I DO have a good amount of experience in giving my opinion.
    If something works, I'm all for it. My opinion about mech heads is what I'VE seen.
    I'm sure your mileage will vary:biggrin:

Signed, " Legend in his own Mind":bow:

20. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    1250 kills? If you are guiding for 30 years that's a average of 42 a year. That's a pretty big number