Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Broadhead Accuracy

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by jnida, Nov 4, 2023.

1. jnida

jnida Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have killed 2 deer this year with the NAP spitfire max. Shots were marginal but worked. Today I made a practice head by wrapping the broadhead with fly tying thread to keep from opening and it is consistently 8-10 inches off to the right when compared to my field points at 20 yards. I am perplexed, any ideas? I hesitate to change my sights based off a single practice head but at the same time I want to be on target with what I hunt with. Changed arrows and it did the same thing

The practice head is one I shot a buck with, but it doesn’t look damaged in any way.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2023
  2. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    spin test ? ... try turning the nock... IF there isnt anything wrong with the practiceBH (spins Good), and its that far off, its either tuning or your torquing the hell out of the bow/grip/form ..

jnida likes this.
  3. jnida

jnida Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was thinking a me problem or a broadhead problem. Would tuning cause that big of a difference between expandable and field points?

I struggle with target panic but really felt like I was at least equally bad with both shots.

4. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Weird that an expandable would hit so far off from a field point.
    I think I’d try an unshot head, even if you have to let it deploy. I wouldn’t feel good about making changes with a head that has gone through a deer and is tied shut.
    Perhaps that practice head that isn’t true anymore, even if it doesn’t look like it. If you have a spinner, bet that practice head will show a wobble.
    Bottom line, I wouldn’t change anything based off that one head.

5. jnida

jnida Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree. One of the “proper preparation” deals. It has got to be the broadhead.

6. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with mod it.
    At 20 yards, something is WRONG to be that far off,.

7. camo75

camo75 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That’s what I was thinking.

8. Bowhuntr64

Bowhuntr64 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Before I'd change anything, I'd test a couple different heads of the same kind; make sure it's not a fluke with that broadhead...just like you tested it with different arrows. Beyond that, it would be a tuning issue. Spitfires have very little exposed surface area, but they are pretty long. If your arrow is not properly spined or your bow is not properly tuned, or your form is a bit off, they can fly differently than field points.

9. pick00l

pick00l Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It's tough to spend a bunch of money on a broadhead, just to waste it but, I have gained a lot of confidence in picking one of the three in a package and regulating it to a practice hero. Yup. It might mean you buy two packs. Knowing your broadhead is flying well is priceless. I would check your fletchings if you have not already. Make sure one is not sliced.

10. jnida

jnida Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It was the broadhead. Damaged from the buck I killed with it. Bought some more and shot one of them and it is pretty much flying just like the field point. it is crazy that such a small imperfection can result in such a hugely different point of impact at 20 yards. Will finish out the year with my current set up and move on to single bevel’s next year. Thank you all as always

11. jnida

jnida Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It is absolutely worth the money. Having confidence in your set up for me is worth 10 times the cost of a pack of broad heads.

pick00l likes this.
  12. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    yea, sometimes it dosnt take much to deviate the arrow flight/POI .... Ive been using 2 exodus for practice, blades are beat up, some dings in the tips ... I kept trying to gain confidence in using Exodus and shooting those two,.. I had a new one in the Quiver I was going to hunt with, I pulled it from the line up 'cause I couldnt trust them in my mind .. which is fine for now, as Ive got Black Hornet, an Exact 4 blade coc, a Slick Mag and a Grim Reaper, all hit same POI out to 40 yds, those older beat up exodus were all over...