Broad Head Flight

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by alfarah50, Sep 25, 2016.

1. alfarah50

alfarah50 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Decided to wait last minute to shoot my bow with my broadheads. They are shooting 6-7 inches right at 40 yards. Should i sight my bow to the broad heads? Should I go buy mechanical? I'm lost here

2. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Move your rest slightly to the left.

3. Suncrest08

Suncrest08 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Move the rest to the left, don't buy mechs to bandaid a tuning issue or adjust sights for just broad heads. Paper tune then walk back tune. Google videos, tons of good ones out there. Id rather have a tuned bow than covering up the issue.

4. Suncrest08

Suncrest08 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm from Irwin Pa, I could even help ya out if you want. There's a lot of bow shops around tho, the will be more than willing to help you out.

5. alaska at heart

alaska at heart Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Too many guys are totally dependent upon an archery shop for aspects of their setup and tuning that can be learned and thus done at home. I start with a modified French tune then back up to a walkback tune. BH are typically close at that point and I shoot one BH and one field point arrow together to see how my grouping is working out. VERY minor rest adjustments will make a significant difference, but it takes a bit of time and learning curve to figure it all out. That is the reason you shoot in the summer and don't wait until hunting season is nearly open to determine you have tuning work to accomplish.

6. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I agree your bow probably needs broadhead tuned, but I would like to know your bow and arrow specs. It could be you are under spined and the fixed blades are exacerbating the issue.

7. alfarah50

Dislikes Received:
    Mathews no cam htr
    65#
    28.5 draw
    carbon express 250 arrows
    100gr muzzy 4blade

8. alfarah50

Dislikes Received:
    I have read threads where the 4 blade do not fly true. doesn't seem to make sense by muzzy releasing a BH that doesn't fly right. I've also been told that anything shooting over 300fps will send the arrow with a BH on it to spiral.

9. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Your arrows might be a little underspined at 65# (CE 250's are roughly a .400 spine) but I bet its just a matter of some broadhead tuning as the other guys mentioned. I shot the Muzzy's before, both 3 and 4 blade. There are some good videos for broadhead tuning on youtube. Here's one to get you started:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  10. Xoutdoors

Xoutdoors Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Proshoppers know what there talking. I'm not including proshoppers from bass, gander mt, and cabelas

11. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with Mike on the spine. 400 is a little too flexible for a 65# draw.

If you try to broadhead tune and the broadheads and fields points both move equally with rest adjustments then the problem is most likely due to an underspine condition.

If that is the case your options would be to get stiffer arrows or to turn your draw weight down to about 60#. One full turn of the limb bolts shoud be pretty close.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017