Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

brand of string

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by SONAS, Jun 8, 2024.

1. SONAS

SONAS Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I am new to bow hunting and have just picked up an older Bear bow that shoots well. I have shot it approx. 20 times and it seems to perform well. I don't know the complete history of the bow and was wondering if I should go ahead and replace the string? Any suggestions as to brand of string to purchase?
    Thanks in advance for any help given.

2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    New strings and cables are a great way to learn and develop on a new bow, so many brands out there.

3. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    First off, welcome aboard! Not knowing the history of the bow or how old the string & cables are, I would definitely recommend getting them replaced. You're better safe than sorry.

If you're just getting started into archery with a used bow, I wouldn't worry about spending the most amount of money on the best/highest quality strings you can get. The truth is, most people don't shoot well enough to notice whatever minute differences there may be between a "good" string and a "great" string.

My personal recommendation would be something like an ABB "Force" series. They come in all black and have a 6 month warranty against peep rotation, serving separation and string stretch. At $120 for a full set, it's tough to beat. And you can save 10% with code "bhod". :)

4. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    There is a lot of great builders out there. My suggestion is stay away from the mass produced brands. I’ve had much better luck with the smaller builders. Just the quality seems much better. Welcome aboard! Lots of great folks on here.

Hoyt Helix
    Hoyt RX1
    Hoyt Carbon Spyder ZT

5. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    JCA ( Brethern)
    JBK Bowstrings
    Thredz ( fastest turn around you will find )

can’t go wrong with any of these

Bootlegger likes this.