BRAND new to bow. Question on equipment

Discussion in 'Introductions - New User Forum' started by Todd E Manley, Sep 19, 2018.

1. Todd E Manley

Todd E Manley Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Ok I am a brand new to bow. Ive hunted gun for many years but I thought maybe I try my hand at archery and extend my season and skills.

I am borrowing a bow from my brother who was gonna get going but never did. Here is my HUGE DELEMNA

My brother is a right handed shooter and Im a left handed shooter/ Left Eye Dominant.

I have come to the conclusion his bow is indeed right handed (Arrow and sight on left side of bow). Ive try to pull it back and sight the peep site with right hand...feels awkwards and cant see peep site well.

I can indeed hold it and pull back LEFT handed and see through peep site ok. Can I shoot this bow as a leftie???

I can see ok throught peep and sight ok?? better that with the right? can the bow be converted. I have to find the model but its a browning compound bow.

I going to my class next weekend and want to get going with it but now sure how to proceed. many seem to suggest learning to use it as a righty but that just doesnt feel right....also being that I can see it better using it with left?

If/When I buy my own I will get a lefty...like my guns. I have one bolt action thats a righty but I use left handed. and I like shotguns with top tang safeties.

what do i do. I can even try to shoot right as I cant see the peep sight properly.

Oh by the way...from Finger lakes region of NY. I like Turkey and hunt deer as well.

Thank you all for advice.

2. w33kender

w33kender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I think you're going to have problems shooting a RH bow with your left hand. Seeing through the peep okay doesn't mean you won't miss the target.

3. Todd E Manley

Todd E Manley Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hmmm, I thought so. Im not ready to buy a bow till Im sure I will like it...maybe have to try shoot right. Ive seen and see videos on a leftie shooting right. Will have to review it more. First time I touched was last night when I got home...Gotta get a trigger and some practice arrows.

thank you

4. Blarney22

Blarney22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I hate to say it but you are going to want to sit this archery season out and spend it practicing. You are also going to want to track down a lefty bow, even if you can somehow get comfortable with a a right handed bow shooting lefty you are going to develop some bad habits that will be hard to kick.

5. Todd E Manley

Todd E Manley Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Yep..I have a feeling your right..will still take course as part o learning but sit back/out this year and figure this who thing out..a little late in the game to start and I dont want to mame anything...not that Ide even be able to hit it.......

Thanks I suppose I needed to hear that...

Blarney22 likes this.
  6. Blarney22

Blarney22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:

Head over to archery talk and check out their classifieds. They have a lefty bow category. Should be able to find something there for a reasonable price.

https://www.archerytalk.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=19

7. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Won't be so accurate trying to shoot a right handed bow leftie. There are plenty of used bows you can find online left handed. After this deer season many of them will be for sale and it's the best time to buy!!!

8. pastorbigdan

pastorbigdan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Speaking from experience, a lefty can shoot right-handed and be accurate but it takes much more practice and time. I killed 3 doe right handed before I switched back to lefty, after getting excited and missing a nice buck b/c I forgot to close my dominate eye. Like the others, I would recommend getting a lefty, even a cheap bow to try out. Btw, where at in the finger lakes? I'm in NW PA near the line and might have a lefty in the garage. I'll check

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

9. Todd E Manley

Todd E Manley Newb

Dislikes Received:
    ok I have a lead on a left handed bow and start it right then. Its PSE stinger 3G. review say good for beginners. we will see. anxious to get out and practice with it and get comfortable.
    thank you all for your knowledge feedback and suggestions. I learned over the years just do something the right way to start with......

w33kender and Blarney22 like this.