Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

bowtech cams

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by cantBseen, Jan 6, 2013.

1. cantBseen

cantBseen Newb

Dislikes Received:
    well its already happend, my brand new( bout it yesterday) bow has ben dry fired. Even if i say it wasn't me i know y'all wont believe me. Factory peep site came off and top cam has bent. already looked into it to try to bend it back and found its a bad idea. so going to the shop on tuesday to get the peep site put back on and a new cam installed.. what you think this shall cost me? also read its a beter idea to get a new string both cams and what not . everything else looks find and feels fine to the touch. this s*cks!

2. Sharpshoot3r

Sharpshoot3r Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Which model?

3. cantBseen

cantBseen Newb

Dislikes Received:
    assassin sd

4. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Bummer ouch

5. cantBseen

cantBseen Newb

Dislikes Received:
    your telling me. im ticked. this is turning to be a more expensive sport than golf haha

6. G-Street

G-Street Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Strange that one dry fire would cause so much damage. I thought companies had to have a certain amount of dry fires it could handle? Anyway, that sucks. Good luck.

7. cantBseen

cantBseen Newb

Dislikes Received:
    it worries me now! in the store it shot great! i mean i pulled it back and slowly brought it back but after that dry fire it was hard to pull it back and i noticed a bit of the cam was bent so it rubbed. how much do you gys think it will cost me. well over 100? bottom cam looks fine!

8. WiRutJunkie

WiRutJunkie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'd ask the guys at the shop how much it will cost you. You may be able to shop around a bit.

9. Sharpshoot3r

Sharpshoot3r Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Tell the dealer it happen while practicing. That it just blew up on you. Should be warrentied.

10. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ya, who would want to ever take responsibility for something they did. Great advice. Just go lie to the shop and let someone else pay for the damage. Sounds like the new entitlement generation way.

11. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    First things first, get the bow to a dealer and don't draw it until you do. And don't even consider trying to straighten the cams. The bow needs to be pressed, the cams both pulled, the axles rolled, and the limbs need checked. You may or may not need a string. Don't try and lie to the shop either, they see this stuff all the time so it's nothing to be embarassed about. The shops have all been lied to as well about dry fired bows, they can spot this stuff a mile away anyhow.

Most BowTech's will fold the cams when a dry fire occurs. It's generally cheaper/easier to replace cams than it is to replace limbs.

12. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I know one of the bow shops we got around here was gonna charge about 60-70 dollars to change cam on the last bow I had, was a Mathews but should give you an idea of what might cost. I gotta agree with couple others tho I wouldn't be messing with it too much before letting somebody look at it. Could do more damage, it's hard not to mess with stuff like that. Good luck

13. cantBseen

cantBseen Newb

Dislikes Received:
    thanks guys im going to the shop tomorrow morning and hoping for the best. I wasent going to lie, but i guess its always good to learn from mistake and move on like we all do. thanks for the help guys and ill let you guys know how it turns out.

14. Backcountry

Backcountry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If one cam gets replaced, they both will.

IIRC, bowtech came are $120/pair. Plus new strings if you need them.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

15. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Its a crappy thing to have happen, I'm sure, but at least you or no one else got hurt. I don't many realize just how much energy today's bows are storing. Enough to easily fold a cam in half, or worse, explode like a hand grenade, on a dry fire.

And its not Bowtechs fault either. I'm sure they dry fire test their bows, just like many other companies do. Case in point, I watched someone dry fire a new Hoyt Carbon Element last year... The top cam bent like a pretzel. Now, Hoyt says their bows withstand thousands of dry fires. To me, it withstood the dry fire, didn't come completely apart and aside from scaring the crap out of the guy and his wallet, all was well once it was fixed. Not Hoyt's fault.

Get that thing back to the shop and have it fixed. DON'T pull it back until you've done so!

Oh... NEVER, EVER, let anyone or yourself draw your bows back without a nocked arrow.

16. cantBseen

cantBseen Newb

Dislikes Received:
    thanks muzzy yea it sucks but like i said everyone learns!

17. goodone

goodone Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I know mathews will warranty anything but the strings/cables. Guy at the shop I bought my mission showed me a broken cam, said dude dropped his treestand on it. Mathews sent him a new cam and limb, only cost him 12 bucks to get it fixed and it was 100% his own fault and mathews took care of him.

This is certainly a lesson in always keeping an arrow noched when drawing the bow. I'm interested to see if bowtech will stand behind their product and make it right or if you get caught holding the check.

Let us know what they say, if they cover it under warranty or not. Seems really odd that it couldn't withstand even one dryfire.

18. cantBseen

cantBseen Newb

Dislikes Received:
    how many fry fires should it with stand cause this bow was just hanging like a shelf model. and i looked at other bow techs and they looked like they have ben shot a couple times. the arrow rest is part red and where the arrow passes through its all dark. but anyways, i might have ben dry fired more than that or had an in proper arrow shot with it? with the manual it states does not warranty dry fires or neglect. so we will see

19. Dogfish

Dogfish Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  20. cantBseen

cantBseen Newb

Dislikes Received:
    ^ i accept that