Bowishing bows...

Discussion in 'Bowfishing' started by inplainview, Jan 20, 2009.

1. inplainview

inplainview Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've decided to do some bowfishing this summer but I want to set up a new rig. Well I dont WANT to buy a new rig I just dont want to use my hunting bow! Anyway, I was wondering what some bowfishing verterans have to say about selecting a bow.

Should I buy used? If so whats important? A low draw weight? Is a recurve better because there is no wall? What about the bowfishing-specific bows offered by browning and AMS? Is it worth it to spend the $200?

Any help would be appreciated. I'm going to the deer and turkey expo in IL and I've seen a lot of people mention the IL bowfishers will be there, hopefully I'll ge tto check some stuff out in person too.

2. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We'll have a couple of bows for you to check out at the Deer and Turkey Classic. We will also have some stuff for sale.
    The AMS fishhawk is good because it's tough, simple and not overly expensive. (not exactly cheap tho' either)

Getting a dedicated bowfishing bow is smart. Bowfishing is rough on equipment. I recommend something lower poundage than your standard hunting bow. Bowfishing is easiest when there's no release, no sights. I recommend a bow with at least 35" axle to axle to avoid finger pinch.

I have no-glovs on my bowstring so I can shoot all day and night without my delicate (snicker) little fingers from getting sore. I used to use a golf or baseball glove. They work well, but anchoring on your cheek with a smelly, slimy glove gets gross fast.

We'll be at the Fish and Feather Expo this weekend too. (in Bloomington) We won't have as much stuff there, but it's a whole lot easier to talk. (not so busy)

3. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    What in the world is bowishing?

4. MNKK

MNKK Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:

That is what I am doing.
    It is a contraction of the words Bow, and wishing.
    The definition is... The act of wishing for a new bow.

5. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Love it when new words are introduced. Think we have had a few new ones on this site already this year. Well do all the bowishing you want. Just don't ish for a bowtoy. Heard they are not very good!

6. MNKK

MNKK Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    lol.

Edit: Threadjacking over.

7. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    LMAO!!:d

8. inplainview

Dislikes Received:
    ha, thanks for the laughs, and the good info. I'll stop by the booth at the deer and turkey expo for sure, but I doubt I'll make it anywhere this weekend.

Is there a resource somewhere showing good places to bow fish?

9. Christine

Dislikes Received:
    Close to water? -snicker- ;)

Where are you in IL?

10. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have heard some pretty bad stories with the Barracuda limbs for the browning...I would go with the fishhawk for this reason alone. I have a browning that has been tough as nails....but the barracuda is supposedly a ticking time bomb for alot of guys. Some will have one do them fine for 3 years, others will have 3 sets of limbs explode in less than 1.5 years. Weird stuff.

ANY used bow will work. Go to a garage sale, archery shops, etc....you can get a bow as cheap as $10-20 that will work fine...crank down the poundage, slap on a retriever and arrow and start sticking fish....If it starts there, it likely won't end there though if you have a few good outings...It gets addicting and can become a money vaccuum if you aren't careful. I made a pact to not buy a single piece of bowfishin equip this summer other than gas, arrows, and replacing any neccessary broken equipment. I have two retrievers and two spincast reels....it should last me a few years.

11. Christine

Dislikes Received:
    "I have two retrievers and two spincast reels....it should last me a few years."

You just totally jinxed yourself T.

I know guys who go through more than two spincasts in a night. ;) The retrievers should last.

12. MNKK

MNKK Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Funny, I heard the same thing about a certain big name bow on this site. It was sometime last year, or the year before...

13. inplainview

Dislikes Received:
    Ill check out the AMS bow for sure then. I just about bought a browning on ebay yesterday because it had a decent number on it, glad I held off!

Christine: I am in Northern IL, town called Sterling. Its about an hour south of Rockford.

I've been looking at alot of used bows, just havent found anything I really like, either its too heavy, or too big, or too beat up. I'll find soemthing though, probably just hold off till after the deer and turkey show.

14. MNKK

MNKK Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    define retrievers...?