Bowhunting Noob - Justin and Todd, I need your help

Discussion in 'Bowhunt or Die® - Web Show' started by Agent100, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Agent100

Agent100 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    New to bowhunting. Got a bow for christmas 2 years ago (awesome, I know, my wife is the best) but I have no idea where to begin. The bow is fully dressed at this point (all the fun gear added) and the bow has been fitted. Honestly, I am just a bit intimated by it. I have hunted for 20+ years but always wit a firearm (shotgun, rifle, pistol).

Justin and Todd - you guys always talk about wanting to hunt new areas. I have 1043 acres in south east MN spread across 5 parcels. I personally have hunted 2 of them in the past. The other 3 remain untouched for some time (about 20 years - unless people are poaching). Really good hunting land. Woods, creeks, rolling bluffs, crop land, etc.

No one in my family hunts with a bow, so I am on my own. I could ask my friends, but then I would subject myself to public humiliation amongst my circle (I can stomach it...but read on please).

So, do you want to take on a challenge of training me in exchange for some hunting access? It might make for a pretty cool show too. You teach me, we hunt, we film and hopefully get some awesome coverage of my first harvest buck with a bow. Or (more than likely) you guys tag out with some stunning deer. Just saying....

Feel free to contact me (I am hoping I get alerts to new posts on this thread....). I will try to monitor this thread, but with all that life dishs out, I will probably be delayed in responding (unless this forum emails me when people post responses...new to this forum).

for everyone else out there, I would definitely welcome your insights, but the offer above is really for Justin and Todd (or potentially other pro staff of bowhunting.com). I think the cool factor is definitely there...

We have all off season we could start capturing some good (and embarassing) footage now before it counts!

OK, done ranting. Hopefully we can work something out. But if not, keep on doing what you are doing. It really brings a good name for us hunting enthusiasts!

Thanks

trent

2. PCO50

PCO50 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like a great deal to me. One lucky guy to have that much land to hunt

3. SWitchBacKXT

SWitchBacKXT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Wow sounds like a heck of a deal. Welcome to the site you will learn alot here!

4. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    That's a cool offer! Welcome to the site and best of luck with your bowhunting future!!! Your gonna love it!

5. Trevor Olson

Trevor Olson BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like you have a lot of ground in a good part of the state. Good Luck!

6. soccerdan90

soccerdan90 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Cool offer! I think you should just ask Todd though as he knows how to shoot big deer! Only kidding!

7. Bountyhunter

Bountyhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Man, I wish I was important enough to get an invite like that. lol

8. Dalton

Dalton Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I live in SE Minnesota, so I'm already in the neighborhood :poke:

9. nealmccullough

nealmccullough BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    Trent -

I'd be happy to help you out. Not sure i'd be able to help with filming part during the season, i'm pretty busy hunting myself in the fall - but this time of year is great for scouting. I hunt a fair amount in SE Minnesota myself.

PM me if you are interested - we can work something out.

Good Luck!
    Neal

10. nealmccullough

nealmccullough BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    Dalton - where do you hunt? I'm hunting near La Crescent, MN.

11. Agent100

Agent100 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the support guys. Neal, you are not to far from a couple of my farms. I have one north of st.Charles mn, two in harmony, one in mazeppa and one in lake city. Kind of spread out, but that too comes in handy with some of the quirky laws by areas here. I'll follow up with you ina PM.

12. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Trent - thanks a bunch for the invite! Sounds like you've got a heck of spot up there in MN!

I would personally love to take you up on the offer but I have one major problem - time. Unfortunately this (Bowhunting.com) isn't my full time gig so much like everyone else I get weekends and a few vacation days each year to hunt. The rest of the time I'm a desk jockey for 50+ hours a week. So between work, family, and splitting up my weekends between the 2 or 3 spots I have here in IL I'm flat out of time to do anything else.

Convince Todd to give me a couple extra weeks off during hunting season and I'll be up there in a minute. :D

13. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    :lol: It's funny because it's true! Todd kills more deer than any human being I know. And that's a fact, jack.

14. Dalton

Dalton Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I live/hunt on our family farm a few miles south of Rushford. There is also quite a bit of public land on our ridge, but I have never hunted there.

15. Trevor Olson

Trevor Olson BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    I second more vacation for hunting!

16. Agent100

Agent100 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    It is tough to balance "life" with "play". So much to do, so little time....or at least that has been my excuse for not acclimating myself sooner with my bow! I finally decided to quit duck hunting altogether, but last year that just didn't feel right (although I did harvest a nice doe with my pistol for the first time)...so this year my plan is to extend my deer hunting season from 9 days to 3 months!! Not sure if the wife was elated FOR me, or if she was happy I would be gone.:lol: regardless, her permission is my blessing. Now I just got to figure out what the hell I am doing when it comes to shooting my bow and I will be all set.

On the show, I hear about everyone's dad teaching the how to bow hunt....but who does one turn to when that didn't exist? Seems like a gap in the market place....I called around to the local "outdoorsmen" stores and rendered them silent when I asked about "lessons".:(

If anyone lives near the twin cities and wants to help a brudda out, drop a line. Otherwise Neil, you are looking like my best bet...but I only get down to my farms to manage them (farming months)...and of course some scouting, hunting and romping around on the 4wheeler...which happens mostly on the weekends. With this being my first year, I really think I am going to need more than just that.

So - TODD give justin some much deserved time off...and then both of you come on up for a weekend of beers, stories, teaching, practice, camping, 4wheeling, and more beers. Whitewater State Park is 1.3 miles from one of my farms. Bring the families - I'll bring mine too!

17. Agent100

Agent100 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have hunted the Rushford Park - great area man! Lots of nice sized deer down there. You are about 30 minutes east of where I usually hunt (Just west of Altura in Elba...which no one really knows of cuz the population is like 10).

18. nealmccullough

nealmccullough BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    Post up a few google earth images - maybe we can help you get started.

19. Dalton

Dalton Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have never been there, but I know the area that you are talking about.

20. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the site and bowhunting. You are going to be hooked! Good Hunting this year!