Bowhunting from ladder/buddy stand advise

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by JHasty, May 17, 2017.

1. JHasty

JHasty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys just wanted to get some advise from everyone and get some ideas. I have been strictly bow hunting since 2010 when I purchased my first bow. I have always hunted from a lock on or climber. A few months ago I got my little girl a cheap small starter bow nothing fancy to shoot with in the yard while I was practicing. I few days ago she put it in to go hunting behind our house with me this year. She is 4 years old so I know she will not want to be in the woods for long. I was thinking about building a box blind but where I hunt is a creek bed and it tends to flood when we get a lot of rain ( knee deep ). I have a buddy ladder stand so I was wanting to get opinions from people who have bow hunted or are currently bow hunting out of a ladder stand. Is it any harder to shoot a bow from compared to a lock on or climber. My though behind the ladder stand was I can buy one of those skirts that go around it to help hide us since I know she will be moving a lot until I can find the time to build a nice box style blind that's elevated so it doesn't get water all inside of it.

2. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like fun.

They make some nice double ladder stands. You could even leave the bottom section of the ladder off to make it a little shorter.
    Ladder stands are much more stable and I think nicer to shoot out of. I set up mine so that I'm shooting out of the left side and so most times I'll shoot sitting. If she stands up to shoot the gun rail should be know problem.
    I also use regular camo cloth and keep it doubled up for weight and durability and just overlap two pieces in the center of the stand to get in the stands.
    I also buy some cheap tool aprons from HomeDepot and tied them to the inside sides of the gun rails to give you pockets.

Good luck. Post some pics of our new little huntress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JHasty likes this.
  3. DVO

DVO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I only hunt from ladder stands with my bow. I shoot sitting down too so you need to have the side of the ladder facing your shot location so you can shoot. I hunted out of a double ladder last year a few times with my wife too. Worked fine for us.
    I would not leave or put shooting rails on the stand. You are just asking for extra noise and issues with your bow hitting that on the shot.

JHasty likes this.
  4. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Took my daughter hunting with me a few times last year. First time getting her elevated, the year before was just in ground blinds. What I setup was a single ladder stand with the gun rail that I fastened camo netting around to hide her movements, she liked reading or playing with her ipad. I then attached a hang-on to the side and a little higher on the same tree. I would use the ladder stand as a ladder to get into my hang-on, and my daughter would then climb up into the ladder stand. Having the rail and netting would have made it almost impossible to shoot without leaning forward over the rail so using he hang-on in combination allowed me to conceal here and still have open shooting standing or sitting.

You could easily do what with a double stand also My daughter is a little older so I was comfortable with her climbing into the stand by herself. If you are not, with a tandem, you can help her climb and get into the stand, then step up from the ladder onto the hang-on.

JHasty likes this.