Bowhunting & Filming with a partner?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by bodenjerryj, Sep 24, 2013.

1. bodenjerryj

bodenjerryj Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Those of you who hunt and film with a buddy, how do you choose who hunts first? We both hunt different ground and take turns hunting and filming we other, but both have great bucks we are chasing. How do you determine who hunts when and how often do you switch?

2. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    rock paper scissors????? lol

3. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thats what I would do or thumb wrestling :lol:

4. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    king of the mountain on the treestand....(safety harnesses attached of course)

5. sycamoretwitch

sycamoretwitch Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Just shuffle a deck of cards and say first Ace hunts first. Boom that's as random as it gets. Flip a coin.

or

Surely you got trail cameras, if one of you all has a better chance in the morning in X spot then go with that guy and if the other has a better shot in the afternoon at X spot then go with that guy.

6. AUbowhunter

AUbowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Maybe schedule that each guy hunts a full week so you have time to make adjustments on bucks you are chasing then swap. When rut come in switch daily or every two days. But always open to change if you check cameras and get a buck coming in in daylight. Just my opinion, but if I had to share time this might be what I suggest.

7. bodenjerryj

bodenjerryj Newb

Dislikes Received:
    We are mostly weekend hunters (except whenever we can sneak out of work) and during the rut we use vacation time. We also live an hour from each other, and often find it difficult to juggle family time and hunting time. So it's difficult to hunt one person per weekend or day not knowing if you will have a cameraman available next weekend to switch off.

Seems like there is a lot of different determing factors to consider each time & before every hunt. It would be easier if you flipped a coin and one guy hunted and the other filmed, then the next day you switched it up. But such is life i suppose. lol

8. coheley665

coheley665 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    We flip a coin then then switch on and off every time we go out, sometimes we will switch it up so that way one isnt always hunting the morning or evening. This past weekend I hunted saturday morning then sunday evening and my partner hunted saturday evening and sunday morning

9. nealmccullough

nealmccullough BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    Coin Flip!!

10. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Never really been an issue for me with the various people I've hunted with. If it comes down to it we'll flip a coin at the start of the season and then alternate evenly from there. Once someone shoots a buck then that person becomes cameraman until the next guy scores.

Filming your hunts with someone is like being in a marriage, except when you break up it's a lot cheaper. :D

11. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't had that issue as I've always self filmed, but I think I will be doing some team hunting/filming this year with my wife and/or a buddy. If my wife is my filming partner, I will be hunting 100% of the time until rifle season.

12. bodenjerryj

bodenjerryj Newb

Dislikes Received:
    it's never been much of an issue in the past, but this season seems like everyone is so busy with family obligations. Last year I tagged out the 4th day of season so it was not much of an issue! lol I'm sure it will get easier, i just wanted to see how others determine how often each other films and hunts. Thanks for all your responses. I can't wait to get into the woods this weekend.

13. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Jerry if ya ever need a camera guy and Jeff is busy hit me up

14. KYhunter

KYhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Self filimng is something I have always wanted to do. Skywalker how do you film your hunts? Does anyone know if those glasses with the built in camera actually work?