Bowhunting Black Bears

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Maine Hunter, Feb 16, 2019.

1. Maine Hunter

Maine Hunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I was just wondering if any of you have ever tried hunting bears with a bow, I have been looking at giving it a shot this year. If so do you have any tips, pictures or stand setups that might lead to a successful hunt, thank you in advance!

2. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sure have. Bears are quite easy to bowhunt.
    They can be way more tolerant to human scent than deer but..., Still best to take precautions.
    Keep to thick undergrowth. Waterways are a bonus.
    If baiting, use the same trail going in/ out.
    Don't go past the bait to " explore". Bears are slaves to their stomach. Give em fresh food if possible.
    Nuts, grain, beef tallow, sweets are all good.
    If you watch bear hunting shows, they most likely will portray bear as some super mythical creature. They are not.! I seen over 100 bears last fall in MN.
    Oh, argument waiting to happen but..., I will never allow any expandable head in my camp.

3. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have,,that said still unsuccessful. Question is are you spring or fall hunting? Spring look for skunk cabbage patches. It's where I encountered bear at camp and honey trees . Wild honey bee trees will keep bear in an area. We can not bait so mast and scents are king. I use slow burn Tin can candle burners for bacon soaked cotton rags and rag soaked honey burns.
    Funny both of my closest encounters were not hunting..Walked into one last summer while cutting. I was looking down walking and when I looked up he was right there close enough to see the flies on his snout. Once at camp I stepped out to truck to get gear and when the dome light came on he huffed and was on his hind legs leaning on the other side of the truck. Yep no weapon either time,figures.

w33kender likes this.
  4. jstephens61

jstephens61 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Check out bear quest obsession forum. A lot of great guys on there willing to help.

5. dink

dink Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Can you expand on your no expandable head? I’m hunting this spring and trying to decide my best option. I’m leaning towards the Ironwill Broadhead.

TheHardWoods913 likes this.
  6. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Dink, been in on hundreds of bear bow kills. Never had an expandable in camp untill !aybe 10 yeats ago.
    The wounding/ lost ratio was well,:ninja:, not good.
    Poor bloodtrails due to poor penatration.
    I've seen many shot with lower poundage with good fixed heads blow completely thru..
    NO EXPANDABLE heads in my camp!

7. Maine Hunter

Maine Hunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you, yes in Maine we can hunt over bait making it easier. I gave it a shot last year but passed up a smaller bear. I agree, they seem much easier to hunt than deer. I have never taken one with a bow that is why I was curious to everyones opinions and stories. Thank you!

8. Frankiecruzer

Frankiecruzer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I’m headed to Maine in the summer and going to Try and take a bear. Maybe we can meet up and take a few out!!! I’m headed near the Bangor area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maine Hunter likes this.
  9. Western MA Hunter

Western MA Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have taken quite a few bears by bow. I find bear hunting easier than deer hunting personally. They are all over the place up here.

10. Maine Hunter

Maine Hunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Let me know, I live only an hour away. I would be all for it!!

11. Hatfield Hunter

Hatfield Hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    once shot a bear with arrow at 20 yards just missing heart a little high, he turned and came right up my wood ladder stand, poking his head over the platform and snapping teeth, he met another arrow right through his throat and into neck bone, I did not leave stand until my brother came over and poked bear to make sure was dead, new underwear ! loved bear hunting !

12. Western MA Hunter

Western MA Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That sounds intense Hatfield! I had one charge me with cubs one time.. she got about 10 yards from me popping her jaw and the hair on her back standing straight up... I think i pooped a little! haha... thankfully, I didn't have to shoot her as I backed up enough where she must have felt safe for her cubs to come out of tree.

I shot a small bear back with the bow onetime... while tracking it I just about stepped on him and he growled and snapped at me and when he tried to get up I put another arrow in him. That was crazy!

13. HuntMaine

HuntMaine Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I’ve bear hunted the western Maine mountains now for 18 years. Our best baits are right in transitions from hardwood to thick softwood. We also try to set our stands based off the prevailing winds, which are normally NW.. Squeezing then closer to the W so the sun is at your back while a bear is at the bait. The same bow setup you use for deer will absolutely work for bear.

Maine Hunter likes this.