Bowhunters vs. Gunhunters...who we really need to be against.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by tynimiller, Nov 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Meathunter

Meathunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    rotflmao, :jerry: :busted:

2. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Holy cow...if I'd have known there were such idiots on the board that can't think with common sense I'd have never posted this...I realize my logical common sense is out of reach of some now. :(

3. CowboyColby

CowboyColby Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Dave your right but with camo I feel it hides my ugliness a little better in the blaze orange I kind of stand out.

4. Yote

Yote Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well.One thing's for sure.As long as hunters ( bow,gun,what ever ) stay divided,were all easy targets for the bunny huggers.

5. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Exactly!!! I'm not bias towards a method (gun or bow) but the methods used to make the harvest (legal/illegal)...can't believe others can't see that is the only logical way.

6. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Can't we all just get along!!! Geez!! We are all hunters hunting the same game. Who cares what you use? Look at it this way, We (bowhunters) get a much larger window of which we have the chance to take our game. Here in NC bow hunting starts the middle of September. Rifle doesn't start until middle of November. We have 2 more months to get it done.

At the begining of the season I chose not to use a rifle this season. With 5 weeks left and no meet in the freezer I am thinking about taking a lead slinger out. I love bow hunting but, I also love deer meet. Starting this weekend, I will be carrying my climberer, bow and a firearm into the woods. Why? because I can and it's legal!! If they come in close enough, I will use my bow. If it looks like they aren't going to come in close, bang!! Will I enjoy the kill as much with a firearm? Of course not but, will I enjoy the jerky, steaks and stews any less? Um heck no!!!

In both bow and gun, we have ignorant,unethical irresponsibleible people and people that in most of our opinions shouldn't be in the woods but, they are. I have no problem with what weapon a person uses as long as they are within the limits of the law and use common freaking sense. It's the ones that don't that I have a problem with. Not the weapon they choose.

7. Lester

Lester Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I enjoy bow hunting more but I still like gun hunting. My favorite part of gun season is definetly deer camp though. That is the only time of the year that my whole hunting party gets together.

8. Meathunter

Meathunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The Best Time I have in the woods is our annual Squirrel hunting/Camping trip each January. It's when all the guys get together and act like were kids again chasing those little tree rats all over the place.

Grab a kid and go teach him/her to hunt regardless of the Method!

9. orkan

orkan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Whatever idiot. I archery hunt, and I rifle hunt. I hunt all the time... whenever I can, at whatever I can, with whatever I can. *******s like you are not going to stop me from hunting the way I WANT TO HUNT.

So you go ahead and keep banging the drum. I'll be out killing ****.

10. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    To Kill, That is the end result we are all out there for right? I know it is the whol experience also but, we are all out there with the one same goal and that is to KILL our quary. Your idea of the experience part and the next guys may be two toatlly different things but, who's business is it to judge what hunting is. My uncle told me last season that if you sit in a tree stand waiting on a deer to come by no matter the weapon he doesn't view that as hunting. Well, I do and so do you. Does that mean because he says it isn't does that mean he is right? Of course your anser is NO.

I think it is pretty impressive that a man has enough skill to kill a deer from 700yd much less drop it where it is standing. I couldn't do it and there are probably not many out there that could hit a school bus from 700yd much less drop a deer where it stands at that distance. To each their own.

11. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    That shot would be like me trying to stare at a deer to kill it....man that would :rock:

12. NY Bowhunter

NY Bowhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Probably true seeing as how its' bowhunting.com. Pretty sure nobody is putting their release on with a deer 700 yards away.

Not elitism IMO just calling it what it is.

700 yards away is very good shooting. You have shooting skills. I admit I wouldn't come close to hitting that deer. But that's what it is.... shooting. Yes you worked hard for it, woke up early, walked far, contende with hunters etc.... But at the end of the day when you can do some jumping jacks, fart, burp, scratch your sack, eat a sandwhich and then zero in on the deer and pull the trigger..... its' just different. Personally I like to smell them and see their eyeballs (without a scope). You HAVE to admit there's a difference.

13. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    One thing that intrigues me is that guys claiming 100 yard shots with a bow are tarred and feathered on here while a guy with 700 yard rifle shots are held on others shoulders and paraded through town cheering. Even I find the former more irresponsible but I'm not sure why, both have comparable times for the animal to react before the projectile reaches the animal.

Look, I hope it's always legal to gun hunt. I hope anyone who wants to can. It's just laughable to me comparing laying down a mat and shooting a deer from 1/2 mile away to getting into bow range. That is SERIOUS skill with a weapon, stuff I can only see on a History channel documentary or dream about.... but hunting prowess it is not. As the story above even points out, you simply find the best vantage point around, set up shop, and shoot anything that walks out in sight, regardless of distance. Awesome shooting skills, but it doesn't really challenge you as a hunter.

Rifle hunting has it's own challenges of dealing with other hunters, but it is NOT the same as bowhunting. Never has been, never will be.

Again, good luck to any and all rifle hunting out there. Post up some pics in the water cooler so I can see the success! I helped my buddy drag out a rifle killed doe earlier this week even. But he dropped it from a distance that I wouldn't even reach for my bow on the hanger yet.

14. Rob / PA

Rob / PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I wasn't even going to reply to this thread but this made me.... I agree 100%... and how can anyone argue with that logic...

15. seanmoe

seanmoe Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nothing beats the rush of having a deer inside 20 yards and still having to move around a ton in order to set up and stop it and shoot it. I love bowhunting!!!!! I started out as a rifle hunter and did both for awhile now I only use a bow but thaty may change at some point. I have no issue with rifle hunting, I'm just addicted to my stick and string.

16. orkan

orkan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    ... and who is claiming that it IS the same?

I hear the same bull**** from rifle hunters in regard to archery hunters being irresponsible as a result of arrows hanging out of deer, wounded deer walking around, and lost broadheads popping tires. Some of you people are so incredibly elitist... you can't even think like a normal human being anymore. Go ahead and keep your opinions that bowhunters are somehow morally superior to rifle hunters. It won't phase me.

I'm a bowhunter when I'm bowhunting.
    I'm a rifle hunter when I'm rifle hunting.
    I'm a fisherman when I'm fishing.

One is no more superior than the other. I have most fun when bowhunting... but I sure as hell am not going to piss on someone because they like rifle hunting better. Wake the hell up.

I enjoy the outdoors on MY terms... and don't feel better or worse than ANYONE when I'm doing it. I'm not comparing myself to you people least of all. I'll hunt, and fish, and pass the knowledge and experience on to my kids. Most importantly I'll pass on the moral responsibility as an American to not force others to hunt how we want them to hunt.

17. Rob / PA

Dislikes Received:
    Ok, on the other side of the coin is deer missing legs, jaws blown off, wounded deer left go because they didn't go down immediately.... because "hunters" are taking running shots or shots beyond their effective kill range with a high powered rifle. Just because the gun can do it, doesn't men the shooter behind it can... the picture has to be painted both ways if your gonna attack one, attack the other since your both.

18. orkan

orkan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You guys are attacking rifle hunters (me) ... so I don't HAVE to.

The elitism displayed in this thread is literally mind blowing. No wonder the anti's have such an easy time dividing and conquering.

19. Rob / PA

Dislikes Received:
    I attacked no one on either side...

You had some real credibility, at least to me, when this thread started and I can see your frustration in the matter but in your quest to explain yourself, or gun hunting you're becoming insulting (from what I've read, you're the only one calling people names) (not to me but many who's posted) and your credibility will suffer because of it.

20. orkan

orkan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Credibility? I see, so because I choose to give the elitist here the finger... I'm no longer credible?

O boy. I'm going to see myself out of this forum for a while.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.