Bowhunters vs. Gunhunters...who we really need to be against.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by tynimiller, Nov 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. orkan

orkan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It's quite nice. Takes some getting used to. That rifle can change calibers in about a minute flat, so I have a 22" 308 barrel in there most of the time. It gets shot a lot. Took about 500rnds or so to build muscle memory, then when I switch to 338 the bolt throw is just a tad longer. You don't have to break your cheek weld though. It is a very well balanced package. The bullpup design is quite excellent. I shoot suppressed primarily, so setting everything back about 10 inches really makes a huge difference.

A suppressed 338 in traditional form is a HUGE PITA when trying to maneuver.

2. Rory/MO

Rory/MO Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Part of the reason is probably because you can't make a 700 yard shot..

3. gutone4me

gutone4me Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    To me personally 700 yards isn't even hunting anymore it's just killing. But that's just my opinion. I don't want to or care to ever take a 700 yard shot. :D

4. Vito

Vito Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Cookies? I like cookies. Someone is passing them out? You think maybe that is some information I would like to know?

5. Mr Buffalo

Mr Buffalo Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I likethis post. As long as we keep it fun and respectful then we can all debate it. But most of all we all need to turn in the idiots that infring on our rights by conducting illegal practices against game and wildlife. I know that if I ever catch the mother-scratcher that keeps discarding half a deer butchered like coyotes on our road I will personally make sure he will understand the impact of an immediate consequence.

6. orkan

orkan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I find it amusing how you, and the other character can somehow KNOW that what I was doing wasn't hunting, without me giving you one SINGLE fact of the hunt. Allow me to attempt to enlighten you.

I got up at 3AM, and left the hotel to drive the 30 miles to a 8 square mile section of public hunting area. I locked up the truck, and walked approx 1.5 miles with a 17lb rifle on the front of me, and a 20lb pack on the back of me... in the dark, to the tallest hill I could locate via topo maps the night before. I had never seen the area in daylight before.

I arrived at the hilltop and it was still dark. Using compass, I laid out my shooting mat in the direction of a large draw that was 300yds away that ran to almost a mile away. I laid out my kestrel, my bushnell 1600 LRF, and my ballistic calc (iphone). I then waited for light, in a 22f 10mph breeze. It was cold.

As it got light, I began seeing blaze orange. I counted 10 other hunters from 300yds to over a mile from me. There were so many of them, it effectively reduced my safe shooting lanes by a factor of 10. I had one sliver of ground I could shoot out to about 2000yds that was basically "no-mans land" where there were no hunters. I proceeded to watch these hunters chase every deer on that piece of ground around for the next two hours. Finally, a nice big mule deer doe walked out into my safe zone. I ranged her, dialed my elevation, read the wind and dialed the nearest whole value and held the rest. I touched it off and dumped her in her tracks.

I checked the chamber on my XDM 9mm compact, and walked down to her with tag in hand. Tagged her corpse, walked back to my spot, packed up my gear, and headed back to the truck. 3 miles on the boots by this point. I locked up the rifle and traded out some gear in the pack for water and food, grabbed my game cart, and started walking back to the deer which was closer to two miles from the truck as it was on the far side of my shooting position. Got there, gutted the deer, and strapped it to the cart and headed back.

So that's approx 7 miles I put on for that deer. One shot, one kill. Competing with MANY other hunters. I put in the time on load development and proving the load ballistically. I had a legal deer tag. I had never seen the area before in my life. I had no idea if there were deer there.

... and I wasn't deer hunting?

The elitism that spews forth from some of these posts truly amazes me. I shouldn't bother, but I'm an egotistical prick so I will: I am willing to bet that less than 1% of the people on this forum even know what 700yds looks like, much less would be able to put a shot on a deer center mass at that range.

Yeah, I bowhunt heavily every year. Everything I can get a tag for. I also rifle hunt every year. I don't get very excited about it because it has become pretty easy. That's why I bowhunt, yet I've bowhunted as soon as I was able to draw the legal weight required in my state.

So if you plan to scold me for rifle hunting... go ahead. I'm a hunter, one of the more successful ones that I know. When I get tags for an animal, I come home with that animal. Whether I have a rifle in my hand or a bow, seems to make no nevermind.

The idea that rifle hunting is somehow inferior to archery hunting is nothing but elitism.

As happens so frequently on forums... it would seem the OP's message is completely lost on many here. Hunters are not the problem. Un-Educated, dim-witted hunters are the problem.

7. Vito

Vito Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I just had 'Nam flashbacks.

8. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    You invited Pat? I thought he gave you the creeps.

9. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Its all hunting to me. Whether you do it from 1 or 1000 yards. As long as its legal, have at it and have a blast.

FTR, anyone that can shoot well at 700 yards and beyond has total respect from me. I killed a buck at 310 yards one time with my .270wsm and that was a poke for me. I can't imagine having the skill to do it at 700.

10. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I was going to say the same thing ... I 100% agree with this whole post ...

11. Rory/MO

Rory/MO Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    x2...

12. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome story man! :rock:

13. Dredster747

Dredster747 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    No it's because there's no excitment in shooting a deer from that far away. It's so much more exciting when a deer comes within 40 yards or less of you.

Sent from my SPH-M900 using Tapatalk

14. Dredster747

Dredster747 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This is exactly what I'm saying!

Sent from my SPH-M900 using Tapatalk

15. crad85

crad85 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Gun hunting is a joke imo. An article i read stated that deer can smell accurately from 150 yards away, most rifles can shoot five times that. So whats the fun in shooting something that doesn't stand a chance. Might as well be tied to a tree. Granted i know shooting distances from far away is hard but with a little practice you can become fairly accurate. I used to shotgun hunt for years but kinda gave up seeing every time i saw a deer it ended up dead with little effort. To take a mature buck with a bow is the hardest thing to do.

16. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    This whole post is a joke IMO

17. SouthernMDArcher

SouthernMDArcher Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Colby, I hate to tell you this.....................you look bad no matter the color.

Dave

18. MHSfootball86

MHSfootball86 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds to me like it takes practice to extend your max range... Weird maybe I should try that with archery.

I have barely ever shot a rifle, but when I have it's been ugly. I usually struggle to put 3 shots in the 2" circle from 50 yards with a .22. If you have the confidence and skill required to make a 700 yard shot and instantly drop the animal I am thoroughly impressed. Combine that with finding the right mountain to set up on, being smart enough to limit your shooting lane based on the safety of others and the ability to ethically take down what you want, I call that hunting, no matter your weapon of choice.

19. brucelanthier

brucelanthier Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    No, the hardest thing to do is ignore some of the dumb as **** posts by ignorant dip****s I see around here.

20. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Truth!!!!!! :tu:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.