Bowhunters vs. Gunhunters...who we really need to be against.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by tynimiller, Nov 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck during gun season PT. I'll be home for KYs gun season this weekend as well, Hoyt in hand though.

We just see it differently, you see the difficulty being in how long it takes to be proficient hitting a target with the weapon, I focus more on the difficulty to use said weapon in the woods to kill the animal you are after (just assuming you would be proficient with it before ever entering the woods).

Like I said, every single friend of mine gun hunts and I am just as happy for them as if I kill one myself with a bow. Just not my cup of tea.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  2. texansfan

texansfan Newb

Dislikes Received:
    One thing I forgot to mention earlier guys is no matter if I'm bow hunting or rifle hunting I will have a rifle with me because down here in the south we have huge hog problems and although I know a bow can and will get the job done I like to kill as many of those nasty land destroying animals as possible and I know what kind of harm they can cause to land and to a human if the situation were to come into play so needless to say I try to stay a good ways from those tusks I got enough holes in me don't need any extra from a wild pig or a coyote will shoot them on site too especially mangy ones

3. texansfan

texansfan Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Guys another thing all hunters fisherman and outdoorsman alike must realize that it's not any of us against one another it's hunters fisherman and other sportsman vs the poachers lets face it if we can get rid of the poachers we can greatly improve our management systems and agency's because with fewer poachers our game wardens and biologist can do better surveys and provide all of us with more and better opportunities

4. NY Bowhunter

NY Bowhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think the so called slob hunters are just more exposed during gun season. Probably based on numbers of gun vs. bow hunters. You just see and hear of a lot more "weird" things during gun season. The transition from bow to gun seasons is like entering a different dimmension. You cant argue that. I'm sure there are very ethical/good gun hunters that take the woods each year. Probably a lot of them. Im sure there are very unethical hunters too. I'm also sure the same exists in bow season but not to the level or numbers as gun imo. You suddenly start seeing the trespassing, hearing 5 shots, running deer, deer drives, late illegal shots (i think 70% of deer killed in NY during gun are illegal), etc.....

Again, not saying its all clean in bowhunting, but is more exposed in gun. Hunt with whatever you want. If you kill a deer the right way and ethically I'm happy for you with whatever weapon you use. But just do it the right way.

5. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Gotcha, Trev .... it's all good .... I may use my bow during gun season this year just for fun ... if the freezer is full ... best of luck to you, Bro :)

6. NEW61375

NEW61375 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I love hunting with all my weapons. Compound, recurve, crossbow, shotgun, rifle, blackpowder...it really doesn't matter to me a whole lot. I would say that bowhunting is probably my favorite but I still like gun season for many of the same reasons PT mentioned ie family tradition, shotgun man drives, Thanksgiving Day hunts, dog season, etc. One thing that always cracks me up is how many people ramble on about the difficulties of bowhunting and how much "harder" it is. Rarely do you hear them mention all of the advantages of bow season ie less hunting pressure, more daylight, lots of food sources to hunt, get to hunt the beginnings of the rut in many states with no gun pressure...just to name a few. I know I see and kill way more deer before gun season starts then after usually. If someone prefers bowhunting I get it just don't try to sell me on it's all about the challenge because there are a ton of advantages that come along with it.

Bowhunting during gun season, you'll get no argument from me about that being more difficult. As far as the OP message I agree, I care less about the weapon a hunter uses and more about their character.

7. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Wonderful post ... :)

8. Vito

Vito Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You cheaters sure are defensive.

9. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Real men hunt with handguns.

I'm shocked this hasn't gotten more out of hand yet. there were a few pretty bold statements that could have led down that road.

If gun seasons didn't have the pressure and chaos stigma to them, I'd thoroughly enjoy gun hunting. It's the added people, not the weapon of choice that is my turnoff.

10. Vito

Vito Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think my ability to read and write answers that question.

Oh, southern burn! Bow vs Gun and North vs South in one thread. We haven't had a "hit a deer but can't find it" thread in like 4 hours, so this should provide some entertainment.

11. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Great post and precisely thought out!

12. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    You know that is precisely the reason I don't enjoy it nearly as much. It is that stigma due to the "bad apples" I spoke of that are just more prevelant (only due to sheer numbers) during gun seasons. I too am shocked with some of the statements this has stayed civil...but that's a sign we have more guys with character on here than don't.

13. gutone4me

gutone4me Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I too despise gun season. The woods are way too crowded. After the shooting starts and I realize I am surrounded and they would have to air lift a deer in there for me to see it before someone else had already shot at it. This year won't be as bad going back to hunting with the family so it should be more fun. Personally after my bow my favorite weapon is my muzzle loader after the part timers go home I get the whole place to myself and see quite a few deer if cold and snow comes in.

Last year there were 10 people on 100 acres with high powered rifles. Think I will avoid that this year and pray a few survive.

14. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

15. Yote

Yote Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Those yankees are just jealous because they don't live in Gods country.:D

From 2000 till 2009 I was strictly a bowhunter except for predators and turkey's.Then I started have shoulder problems and eventually had surgery on it,thought I'd be able to shoot my bow but didn't happen.Missed all of last year and all but the last week and half of archery before I decided I'd try a crossbow.
    Then when blackpowder opened up,I broke out my old Hawkin and killed a mature doe at less than 15 yards from my stand.And I've dusted my old 300 winmag and made sure it's still dialed in. After missing one whole season,I've learned that every second in the woods is precious and I'll hunt with whatever it takes to get me in the woods.
    On our club property,it'll be crowded on opening weekend of rife.But with 17000 acres and 75 hunter,I ain't worried about that. Nobody wants to hunt the area I hunt any way.Plus its buck only during rifle season and club rules only allow 2 bucks and anything less than 100" gets you a $400.00 fine,less than 90 and you pay the $400 and your done for the year.

16. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    You are exactly my case for why you cannot just lump all gun or shoot for that matter crossbow hunters into the assumed bad apple pile! Sound like you have a sweet lease! (makes my 20 or so acres seem insignificant :D )

17. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I find these conversations very interesting. I agree with the OP, that it is character, not weapon choice. And I think that this character refers more to how you think about something, not what you think about it. It's the difference in those two things that fascinates me.

I also think that you can have this same exact conversation about nearly ever thing in our lives. Here is a short list of items or topics that this applies to:

Handguns
    Cars
    Alcohol
    Money
    Smart-phones
    Religion
    Sexuality

In each of these I am less concerned in what you have, as how/why you use it. I can agree that we have a right to bear arms, but I can also agree that there are those that do not have the Character/Maturity needed to safely wield weapons.

Same with religion. I can have the same Christian conclusion as someone, but wholeheartedly disagree with how you got there or how you are using religion. I often find myself siding with someone who comes to a different conclusion than I, because I believe that the way they got there is sound.

I hope this make sense? Sorry for the tangent....

Keep the conversation going.

18. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

I feel you on this one Brett. It is rifle season here and my brother and one other guy who hunts with us on occassion are now using a rifle. My brother has a few rifles and always brings two with him. He tells me the other one is for me to use. I have yet to have the desire to even target shoot with one much less take one into the woods. I just don't feel right any more using one. There is just something about having my bow in my hand no matter what everyone else is using.

19. Meathunter

Meathunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    totally agree with OP it is the character a hunter has not the weapon that makes him a good or bad hunter and as far as the north south thing. you guys can keep those cornfed deer and girls up there and ill take springbreak, tans, and gorgeous southern bells with smaller deer everyday of the week!!

20. Vito

Vito Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So, size doesn't matter?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.