bowhunter448's 2015 Season Thread

Discussion in 'West' started by bowhunter448, Jun 5, 2015.

1. bowhunter448

bowhunter448 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I ordered 6 Gold Tip Hunter XT's from Cabela's tonight. They should be here next Friday. Just in time to cut them and start broadhead tuning

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

2. bowhunter448

Dislikes Received:
    I checked my email yesterday and saw that my arrows were delivered. I'll have the pro shop cut them Monday after some training and start shooting them Monday night. I'll post pics later.

3. bowhunter448

Dislikes Received:
    We got home from the family reunion in Idaho, only to find a box from Cabela's. I've got my arrows in the truck to cut tomorrow. I'll post some pictures tomorrow once I get them cut.

4. bowhunter448

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]

So here's my bow with three of my new arrows ready to go. I found after cleaning the garage yesterday that I still have some that aren't broken from squirrels this spring (they just need reflecthed). I've decided on only carrying three arrows because I only have three broadheads and then I have three good arrows if something happens.

5. Oldcarp

Oldcarp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds good. I've been trying to shoot at least 3 times a week. I started to shoot broadheads two weeks ago and Im good out to 40 yards with broadheads. 50 still needs more work.

6. bowhunter448

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't gotten out to shoot the last week due to 12 hour days. I've got the kids laying down for a nap and will hopefully get out to French tune my bow. The new arrows have shown just how out of tune my bow is.

7. bowhunter448

Dislikes Received:
    I got out to shoot the other night and French tuned my bow. I posted about it in the 40 Yard grouping thread. I didn't use a string because I couldn't get one to stay straight. I got a couple of suggestions after posting, so I will try them out the next time I shoot.

It looks like I'll be headed out on the first scouting trip of the summer this Saturday after we run a 5k Friday night. I'll take some pictures and will be able to find it on a map (hopefully) to share where I'll be at the first weekend we go out, which is 35 days from now.

I know that next week I'll put my practice blades on my broadheads and start shooting those. I will also start shooting out position and practice sneaking into range. My goal is to get a 40 yard shot or closer this year.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
  8. bowhunter448

Dislikes Received:
    I got out and shot a little tonight. But before I did, I put in my 8" stabilizer instead of the 5" Octane.

Here's my first shot at 20.
    [​IMG]

Here's my first shot at 40.
    [​IMG]

And here's my shot at 50.
    [​IMG]

After tonight's session, I feel a lot better about how tuned my bow is, so I threw practice broadheads on 2 of the 3 arrows in my quiver and will start shooting those.

I'll have to get the picture, but one of my co-workers found a nice 4x4 in a different spot within my hunting area. He said that the spot I'm headed to had plenty of deer, so hopefully we'll see something Saturday.

9. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Looking good!

10. bowhunter448

Dislikes Received:
    Tonight's the night of my first 5k. I'm getting anxious because it's been a very long time since I've ran more than 2 miles. Tomorrow morning, Marshall, Richard and I will be headed out to do some scouting. After looking on the map with my father-in-law, it looks like it will be an easy drive and good hunting. I'll try and take pictures tomorrow of where we are and hopefully be able to find it on the map so I can share it.

11. bowhunter448

Dislikes Received:
    I have been busy since yesterday afternoon. We dropped the boys off at my mom's around 5:30, had a quick bite and then went into town for the 5K. My wife ended up working out at the gym, which is the where the start/finish lines were for the race. I ran the race in 29:14, and kept up with my buddy who's training for a relay up until the last half mile when he chased down another guy we were running with.

This morning, I picked up Marshall and Richard and we headed out scouting. The roads were good all the way and we were only about an hour outside of town. Our first stop was (letter F) Elk Encounter Satellite.jpg (the satellite view), Elk Encounter Topo.jpg (topographic) were we saw these guys Bull Herd.jpg . We all drooled over these guys, but this one in particular Big Bull 2.jpg . As we followed the road around, we all saw a nice 3x3 deer that we all considered a shooter. Unfortunately, we didn't get any pictures of him. I did sit there and watch him disappear, though.

We drove around and saw all sorts of 2x2's and does with fawns, but nothing really big. That was until we got to this spot. Deer Herd Location Satellite.jpg (Satellite view) Deer Herd Topo.jpg . We saw 7 very nice bucks, mostly 4x4's and a couple of smaller ones. I don't have any other pictures, other than this guys Big Deer.jpg , which we all decided was the best of the group.

On the way out we figured where we were going to camp (point D) and how to access it (point E) Camp and Access Road.jpg . Point I is where we had our deer encounter and point H is an alfalfa field that the deer come into almost nightly.

So our plan is that Richard and his cousin will drive up the afternoon of the 13th and set up camp, possibly a trail cam in the alfalfa field and sneak in an evening hunt. I'll drive up the 13th after work, after doing some shopping for food. Marshall might try and come up for an evening hunt the night of the 13th. He would have to head back that night, since he has to go to drill for the National Guard. Richard, his cousin and myself will hunt hard through the 16th, hoping Marshall will join us the 18th. I might come into town to take my kids to my company picnic the 15th, but I'm not sure yet.

My goal with my first hunt is spot and stalk and go after a decent sized buck the first couple of days, while we see if the alfalfa field really brings the deer in. If I can't get it done those first days, I'll settle in on the alfalfa field in the evenings the last couple of days. I'd like to fill my tag that first weekend out, so I can bring my oldest two boys and help Marshall fill his tag.

Depending on the winds tonight, I'm going to try and get out with my broadheads. It was really windy yesterday afternoon, and that just added to the frustration, because it seems like I'm making a lot of adjustments for my broadheads.

12. bowhunter448

Dislikes Received:
    Sunday night, I met the couple that are building the house next to me. He is a gunsmith and an avid hunter. After we talked for a little bit, he had no problem with me bringing my range back down to the front yard.

So that's what I did tonight. I also shot a couple of arrows at 20 yards and was shooting a little low. Now that I don't have to walk up the hill, I might be motivated to sight in with broadheads over the next couple of days.

13. bowhunter448

Dislikes Received:
    I got my broadheads tuned in out to 60 yards tonight. I shot myself tired. I'm definitely getting excited for the season.

14. bowhunter448

Dislikes Received:
    It's been a busy week. After much consideration, I've decided to start looking for another job and might have one lined up as a Police Officer in Albuquerque, NM. I go down for my first weekend testing on September 11. So, I'll hunt hard over the next month and then focus on the next chapter. I'm pretty excited.

15. bowhunter448

Dislikes Received:
    I finally got a chance to shoot yesterday. I've been really busy with work, projects around the house and traveling that I haven't had much of a chance to shoot. I don't think I'll drive out next Thursday, just take off super early Friday morning.

16. Oldcarp

Dislikes Received:
    Good Luck on your new job

17. bowhunter448

Dislikes Received:
    Less than a week to go! I've got my strings waxed and hunting blades on my broadheads. Tuesday night, I'll get the four wheeler loaded up. Wednesday night I'll load my camping gear in the truck and Thursday night I'll go buy "food", mostly trail mix and quick easy meals for the night, and beer, of course. Friday morning around 3, I'll leave the house, getting fuel in the truck and gas can for the wheeler and be on the mountains.

As long as I don't forget my bow!

18. Oldcarp

Dislikes Received:
    We got camp set up and im going up tomorrow morning to check trail cams

19. bowhunter448

Dislikes Received:
    I picked up the four wheeler last night and tonight after dinner is grocery shopping. Richard and his cousin are headed out today to set up camp. Hopefully they can get to camp with the trailer for their side by side attached. The plan is the be gone by this time tomorrow.

20. bowhunter448

Dislikes Received:
    I checked the weather this morning. It looks like tomorrow will be the only day that has any chance of thunderstorms. The rest of the weekend is sunny and high's in the mid-70's. I'm doing office work today, so it looks like I'll be able to head home on time. Less than 24 hours!