Bowhunter attacked by Mountain Lion!?!?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by BEAR09, Oct 8, 2011.

1. BEAR09

BEAR09 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2011
  2. MOhunter1988

MOhunter1988 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

i keep a pocket knife and my trusty .357 on my side.......chased by a wild hog a few years back and now i rarely go in the woods(or anywhere really) without a sidearm

3. pseshooter89

pseshooter89 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    A .9MM stays on my side every time I enter the woods. Someone said this a while back and it's the truth - I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

4. jakeratt

jakeratt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I don't know if this story is true or not. he had no blood on him or fur and a 13 yr old boy stoping a mt. lion with his hands then reaching into his pocket and stabing it..... looks fishy

Sent from my X10a using Tapatalk

5. racewayking

racewayking Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt not far from where this story took place in Brown Co. Two years ago there were prints on a nearby farm and a hunter on a four wheeler saw one. I think it just might be true.

6. dj-skyy

dj-skyy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    wow, that's pretty crazy! lucky for me I carry my 9mm all the time since it's legal in the areas I hunt....better to have one and not need it, than need it and not have it...

7. iHunt

iHunt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Exactly why I carry a Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 when I hunt :tu:

8. paulgmckavett

paulgmckavett Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I never go in to the woods with out my ruger super red hawk 44 mag:nana:

9. JJHACK

JJHACK Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It's been pretty well proven over the last 20 plus years that all the big cats of the world stalk and prey on their food items from behind. It's one of the reasons that in India all the forest workers wear human face masks on the backs of their heads. The Tigers and leopards will not attack face on.

With this bit of consistent repeatable big cat behaviour known, it's a safe bet that unless cornered and in a defensive situation big cats don't attack face on. When they do attack for Prey, they hit with enough force to knock down and also knock the wind out of the prey species. This "instinctive" behavior limits the amount of risk to them.

Lets face it a deer or elk with a sore leg can still hobble enough to eat. But a 100% predator will starve and become weak and sick if it's hurt and cannot catch food. So if this Cougar was hurt, sick or injured then the story might have a slim chance of real. However, if that boy was really a prey item for a Mountain lion, he would have been hit so hard from the back without any prior knowledge of that lion being there, that he would have been easy pickings for a predator that can routinely take down and kill a large elk.

As far as a handgun is concerned, ......... well the way lions launch a predatory attack, you have no chance of using the gun. If you're aware the lion is there, they will be headed out of town. They are not face to face aggressors like a bear would be. If a lion does not have 100% of the advantage in the attack, they will wait, or find a new target. With that said, once you're hit from behind at 35MPH with 10 big claws by a 100lb plus animal, you're not digging in your pocket for a knife or a gun for that mater!

10. iHunt

iHunt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thats the thing that would worry me. But having a .44 on my hip just makes me feel better :lol: There could be a slim chance that I could actually use a gun, and if I didn't have it I would be screwed for sure

11. pseshooter89

Dislikes Received:
    There's been mountain lion sightings behind my house. Claw marks in trees, dogs are afraid of going in the woods. My grandpa was skinning squirrels outside the other day and heard something big hissing at him. My uncle said he saw it walking in the woods one night around 2AM. The deer movement in our area used to be crazy, now it is very limited. We've found a couple turkeys demolished. It's staying in the rock cliffs about 80 yards behind the house. Huge claw marks in trees. It is illegal to kill mountain lions here though.

12. Saltysakz

Saltysakz Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I saw the video of the interview of the kid that got attacked on the weather channel web site. I texted my uncle about it because he owns property in Brown Co. IL right next door to Pike Co. The first thing he said was "He lived? That sounds fishy." He doesn't know a whole bunch about mountain lions but he thought it was a hoax.

13. bz_711

bz_711 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    according to local officials now - all indications point to this being bogus.
    I don't doubt that someone may spot one of these in IL - but this story sounded hoaky from the second I read it.

14. jakeratt

jakeratt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    where did u get this Info from... From what I have heard is that they have not determind anything yet

15. rockinchair

rockinchair Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Have you ever even seen the mountain lion?

16. TexasOutdoorsman

TexasOutdoorsman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    There has been 2 people claim they have heard mountain lions on my deer lease, both described differently.. I wasn't so sure it was true until I heard it screech myself. Lemme tell you, it was bigger than a bobcat. I know that for sure, I am familiar of what bobcats sound like and this was no bobcat. That was 2 years ago and to this day Im scared to go into the woods or leave the woods while its dark. Im not allowed to carry a handgun with me so Im really scared sometimes.. I came up on a pack of coyotes one time.. Man was that scary.. It was nearly pitch black! I can't imagine coming in contact with a big cat! This story sounds like some bull to me, ALTHOUGH ITS POSSIBLE IT IS TRUE. I just have a hard time believing this kid just a year younger than me could defend himself with a pocket knife facing a mountain lion... He must be like a power lifting future ufc champion because I dont think I could handle a big cat and Im pretty strong myself... Like I say, its possible.. But, hard to completely believe it. If its proven true, I will give that kid props.

17. pseshooter89

Dislikes Received:
    I came out one night because the dog was going crazy. I had a flashlight and my pistol. I was running the flash light across the mountain and I saw a tail circle as if it was turning around. Some people say it might be a bobcat, but I've seen bobcats and this had a tail too long to be a bobcat.

18. Straight Shooter

Straight Shooter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Bull S**t! A 14 year old is not going to fend off a mountain lion with a knife (3 times no less) and walk away with no puncture wounds! If he was my kid he would be nursing a sore ass for being a liar! I used to work at a place called wildlife prairie park in peoria, IL. We had mountain lions and I can tell you if a mountain lion wants to take out a 14 year old kid he can do it without even breathing hard. They are extremely efficient and powerfull killers! It would have crushed the boy's neck in it's jaws and there would have been nothing the kid could do. period. I found an elk on vancouver island this year that was killed by a mountain lion. I am sure it is a tougher animal to bring down than a 14 year old kid!

19. Bronson

Bronson Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It was bigfoot!

20. Straight Shooter

Straight Shooter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah! It was Satchmo! :nana: