Bow weight. How much does it matter to you?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Ben/PA, Aug 8, 2008.

1. Ben/PA

Ben/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Comments in the "what do you want to see for 09" thread got me thinking.

How much does the weight of your setup REALLY matter to you. Last year I carted my Commander everywhere. I have hiked maybe a mile or more straight....and I mean straight uphill with it and it didn't bother me. I guess in my mind, like 10 percent of the bunch of us may do some real hiking (I am not one of them) with their bow. So, why do more than 10 percent (in my mind) care about a bow being too heavy. I like the stability that a heavier bow provides at times. Just wondering.

2. racewayking

racewayking Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot a hoyt so obviously it doesn't bother me.

3. OKbowhunter

OKbowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My Myst is definatly on the heavy side. While im hunting its not a big deal cuz i dont walk that far. But when im shooting, it can get tiring kinda quickly.

4. Txjourneyman

Txjourneyman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    When I was turkey hunting in NM this past spring I walked for miles. There were times I wished the Marquis was lighter. If it gets to where it really bothers me I can always leave the Marquis at home and hunt with one of my trad bows.

5. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    exactly....youll notice that weight come practice time....It seems my arm gets tired from holding up the weight of the bow far before they get tired from actually pulling the bow back. Could just be me though. I have shot really light bows as well as heavier bows (my hoyt) I never could tell a difference in accuracy. I prefer a lighter bow, but it isnt the deciding factor in which one I get...heck, I shoot a hoyt.

6. stikbow26

stikbow26 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My 101st is on the heavy side and I perfer a heavy bow verse's a light one for the same reason of stability!! Walt

7. SevenMag

SevenMag Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    get a sling for it while you're out hiking... weight isn't much of a problem imho as long as we're note talking engine block weight...

8. MN/Kyle

MN/Kyle Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I actually like a heavier bow. It is one of the reasons I chose Hoyt, actually. It balances better, and more stable in MY hand. I don't do a lot of hunting other than tree stand. When I'm in the turkey woods runnin' and er...bowin'...I'm not thinking of the weight of the bow, rather, I'm thinking of getting on birds.

9. OKbowhunter

OKbowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If I get tired during practice, it is my bow arm. For some reason my shoiulder just gets worn out way to quickly.

But yea, while hunting, it doesnt matter to me. Practice is where the weight factor comes into play.

10. in da woods

in da woods Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    don't really notice it with all the other stuff I take in with me. I probably pack in around 40# or so, with a climber, bow, backpack, etc.