Bow Vise?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by kurveball18, Mar 2, 2016.

1. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hello,

As some of you know from a few of my other postings I want to be able to do most of my bow setups. Granted my new one was setup by the shop but I'm slowly trying to get the needed tools. With that said, I live in an apartment and don't have a basement to be able to have my own little shop basically. Is their a bow vise that is inexpenseive but can clamp onto the side of a counter or table. Something that is mobile would be nice if I wanted to take it to a buddies etc. Most of the ones I'm seeing you literally bolt them to a work bench which is not an option for me.

2. BuffaloBill

BuffaloBill Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This guy on AT makes vises and sells them. He has an option for a base that screws into a camera tripod. I was considering getting one for myself because I also live in a small apartment.

New Spewingjason Bow Vise thread

3. kurveball18

Dislikes Received:
    Ever see this one before? The guy doesn't give it a name in the posting. Almost looks home made? Its portable and looks like it would do exactly what I would need.

cool bow vise

4. kurveball18

Dislikes Received:
    Found it. Definitely looks like a solid product. I would just need to get an aluminum block and drill a hole in the middle to have the screw to fit the stabilizer hole.

Stanley

5. roadrunner

roadrunner Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome! I've been needing to get me a little bench vice for my shop and for the things I do, this would fit the bill nicely. Thanks!

Now I wish I had not spent so much on the bow vice I currently have. This definitely will help with my setup as I don't want to permanently mount the vice stand to the bench and would like to keep it portable (as in taking it on out of town hunting trips).

6. nwmono

nwmono Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a R.S. vise that I mounted to an 8" piece of 2x4.
    Can clamp it to any table or bench top when needed.

7. Whitetail

Whitetail Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I don't like the setup where you need to take off the stabilizer, screw the vise to the bow and then have to put it on again. I have a vise from Last Chance and it does all I need. Not fancy but I can use a C clamp and put it on any table/bench.

8. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This is exactly what I've been looking for! An inexpensive bow vise! Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. blueicefire

blueicefire Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just bought that Stanley off Amazon for 35 bucks. Have it in two days, great idea!!

10. TKP030

TKP030 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    the stanley vise seems really neat just trying to figure out how you would get a parallel limb bow in the vise

11. kurveball18

Dislikes Received:
    I think it would be just big enough to grip one of the limbs. After doing some more reading on the Stanley one I decided not to get it. It had some pretty poor reviews. Seems like its pretty common for it to break and is made pretty cheap.

12. kurveball18

Dislikes Received:
    I was holding off on it as I read some reviews of a bunch of guys not happy with the quality. I really hope it works out. Let me know as maybe i'll change my mind again and get it.

13. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    A vise is the last thing I have not bought yet. They bow specific ones are insanely priced for all the more they do. I picked up a fully rotating table top vise from Harbor Freight over the winter and have tinkered with it. I had an old stabilizer laying around that I can screw into my existing stab, then clamp it down in the vise. The neat thing is that I can rotate the bow from veritcal to horizontal and everywhere in between, lock it down and do what I need. It actually works quite well.

Now, the one thing that better vises have is micro adjustability. You really need something that you can lock down in the vise, then micro adjust the verticals to level the bow, arrow, etc.

14. blueicefire

Dislikes Received:
    Looks like tomorrow I'll be heading to home depot getting me piece of aluminum and bolt. I'll post pics when I have it done if you want!

15. blueicefire

Dislikes Received:
    ImageUploadedByBowhunting.com Forums1458347134.880191.jpg

Bow vise works!!!

16. BigHoss

BigHoss Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've had one for about a year and I really like it for light duty stuff. I have had my bow in it numerous times and it works well for that. I wouldn't use it for anything the would require hammering or torquing but it is a handy set of extra hands on my basement work bench.

Tags: