Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Bow upkeep

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by MUDSHARK, Dec 14, 2023.

1. MUDSHARK

MUDSHARK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Since archery season is over , I’ve replaced my strings and cables. The winter Indoor league I shoot starts
    Jan 08th.

Replaced strings and cables with gas’s strings. I Had Zebra strings and cables.

Anyone else doing the same. It’s been 2 yrs for me. I shoot just about year round.

new strings - Camo

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 14, 2023
  2. MUDSHARK

MUDSHARK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Old strings and cables. Orange 4732.jpeg

3. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I changed the original string and cables on my Elite a few weeks back. Should have been done years ago…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

virginiashadow and MUDSHARK like this.
  4. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I need to change out my stuff in January. Good reminder.

MUDSHARK likes this.
  5. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My Solution is due for a new string set this year. The winter league I shoot just started this week so I'll wait until that's over before replacing them.
    Mine will get a set of x99 from Catfish, haven't decided on colors yet.

6. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I will probably replace mine in March. Our archery season runs to the end of February.

MUDSHARK likes this.
  7. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Man, I just switched this summer from another string maker to Catfish and can't say enough about how well these are made. I opted for the BCY X material, just because of familiarity with it. I was also told the Bloodline is so slick that you need to be careful with what serving thread is used to tie peeps in, etc. I can't verify obviously. Either way, Catfish Customs makes a top shelf quality string. Good guy to boot.

MUDSHARK likes this.
  8. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot all year, but not nearly like I used to. Life got in the way A LOT lately. But I change strings every two seasons, religiously. Its cheap insurance in my book.

As for other maintenance. It depends really. I go over the bow really well and check it often because I'm shooting enough but thats about it. When I do replace strings and cables, I will do a more thorough tear down of the bow. I have to retune it anyway, may as well. I'll grease limb pockets, take the rest off and clean and lube, grease the flex guard (Bowtech bows), check all bolts, etc. Put new strings on and tune it up.

JW Gruv, cantexian and MUDSHARK like this.
  9. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Mike is definitely a good guy, I ordered from him by phone and enjoyed talking with him. He was a big help in explaining different string materials and what I could expect from them. The next set I order will be my 3rd set from him. I'm most amazed by how spot on his lengths are, both previous strings required hardly any adjustment to get the bow into spec from where he had them clipped. I won't mention the name, but my BIL just recently put on a set of a very popular string maker and it took quite a bit of twisting to get the bow to hit spec and make peak poundage.

The set on my Solution now is the Bloodline Vec99 material. It was a good string material, I found it to be very stable and was amazed how long it didn't show any fuzz. Many say that it doesn't need to be waxed but Mike recommends doing so, just not very frequently. I waxed mine only once a year and it did not show any fuzz for much longer than I see with 452X or X99 material.
    It is very slick though, something like the "Tim Gillingham method" is necessary to keep the peep from slipping. And the coating on it is very greasy/oily when new and causes dark colors to leach into lighter colors. My set was back/silver with silver serving and the black leached into the silver strands and even through the silver serving in some spots. Not a real big deal but choose colors with that thought in mind.
    I'm just going with X99 again this time due to my own nervousness of tying in the peep myself and not having it slip. And laziness, I'm sure I could get it to hold with the Gillingham method but that method also looks like a royal pain to cut loose again. I could see myself nicking the main string while trying to cut the serving loose if I wanted to change peep or peep height for whatever reason.

10. JW Gruv

JW Gruv Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a brand new set of Vaportrails to put on my Traverse - It will be the first time changing a 5 piece set so that should be fun

MUDSHARK likes this.