Bow tuning help - Learning how to tune

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Oski, Oct 13, 2020.

1. Oski

Oski Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I’ve been bow hunting for a few years now and I’m trying to start working on my bow instead of having to take it to the bow shop to do anything. I’ve made a vise and a paper tuning set up after reading some DIY posts. I tried reading as much as I could and watching numerous YouTube videos that helped tremendously. When the shop put my new rest on, I noticed that may fletchings were making contact with the rest. They moved it to the left and said that it was bouncing back up causing the canes to hit. When they moved it to the left, it made my arrow point left of the center shot pretty bad. When sighting it in, I ran out of left windage and was still shooting left 40, 50, and missed the target at 60. I have all the specs that PSE provides for my bow and measured the rest and fletching distance from my cables. I’ve leveled the rest and have my arrow just slighting leaning forward compared the the rest. I’ve paper tuned it and it my tears tell me to move my rest to the right. But it’s so far to the right that my fletchings are either hitting the rest because it’s back to not fully laying flat or my fletchings are hitting the riser. When I put a string down the middle for my center shot my rest already looks right of center really close to the riser to begin. The best I can tell, I think I have an extra shim on the right of both cams but the bow string doesn’t line up with the center shot string. It needs to move to the right. I slightly adjusted my cable rod to the correct clearance with the vanes. I shoot Victory Elite VForce arrows with a 300 spine and 2” Blazer vanes so they should be stiff enough for my setup below based of Victory’s spine chart. I can take it in the shop and go through that but I really want to learn how to do this my self. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. If I need to provide more information just let me know.

I have a 2019 PSE 3B Drive 30” draw 70lbs with a QAD Hunter drop away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like you need to check the timing on your rest. Draw your bow with the rest "uncocked" it should not cock until inch 27ish of your draw cycle. Your arrow should not touch your rest as it should deploy upon release.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
  3. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    yup...listen Fix, he knows what he's talking about. most times when you fletching contact it's a rest timing issue

Fix likes this.
  4. Oski

Oski Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you for the help. I’ll have to wait a little bit until I make a draw board to be able to check that part. That’s the next project on the list. Hopefully I can get that done in the next few days.

5. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    No problem, that's what this forum is for. Once your timing is set start with a simple French tune then move on to paper. Good luck

6. Oski

Oski Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Fix, thank you! You have lived up to your name. I built my draw board and tested out my rest. Everything looked good as far as timing but what I figured out was that my rest didn’t have an internal break and it was bouncing back up hitting my fletchings. After doing a little research I found that that particular rest had problems with the cams on some bows (including the newer PSE). I took it off and replaced it with a Rip Cord. I was able to use my board to install the rest and clip it in at 27” like you said. I then French tuned it at 3’ and 10’. After that, I shot through paper and had to move my d loop up slightly and now I’m shooting bullet holes. I’ve sighted back in to 40 yards so far and I’m pretty much right in the middle of my windage for my sight. Again, thank you for the advise. It’s cost about $75 to make a vise stand and and mount my vise, a paper tuning setup and draw board. It’s actually saved me money making my own setup than going to the bow shop and paying them to do it. Not to mention the satisfaction of doing it all myself.

T.haskell and Fix like this.
  7. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    There is nothing better then fixing your rig yourself and subsequently learning more about your passion. Please pass on the knowledge and good luck this season.

8. Oski

Oski Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Will do! And thank you again.

Fix likes this.