bow torque

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by charness0001, May 19, 2014.

1. charness0001

charness0001 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    is there any type of device or some sort of level to check bow torque. the way the grip is on my mission blaze i feel like i have to torque the bow to get the string to clear the cables. the way the grip is designed my thumb wants to point at 45 degrees from the target. i know i have to point my thumb at the target to get things squared back up but it puts tension on my wrist. i can shoot it accurately this way its just not comfortable.

2. Whitetail

Whitetail Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The only device I know of is the IQ Bowsight or an Anchor sight. You can try a different grip (ie Torqueless).

If your string (I think you meant fletchings) hits your cable something is wrong with the setup or bow.

3. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    In theory, the bow would not produce any torque (when standing behind). The string comes straight back. Any torque in one direction caused by the limbs should be compensated in the other direction.

It really sounds like a form issue. Post a pic of how you have to hold it.

4. dorobuta

dorobuta Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This sounds like a form issue. Are you tightening the arm holding the bow? or are you keeping a nice natural bend in the elbow?
    is your grip tight or loose on the bow?

does your front sight have a level on it? (if not, I'd consider getting one that does.)

5. tfarah22

tfarah22 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The cheapest torque eliminator I have heard of is wearing a cotton or polyester glove on your grip hand. With no grip you are forced to cradle the bow and not grip it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. charness0001

Dislikes Received:
    its kind of hard to explain, if you was to sit your bow on the table and look at the back side of it your cables should sit behind your riser. mine also does this and that should be the same spot the cables should be when at full draw. the way this grip is rounded the most comfortable grip has the cables away from the riser and over the sight a bit. that grip also has my thumb positioned at 45 degrees to the target. when I correct this I have to put tension on my wrist to get my thumb pointed towards the target and to get the cables back in front of the riser where they are supposed to be. its just the way this grip is made and rounded, its more comfortable to hold torqueing the bow. I just was seeing if there was some sort of gadget or new grip that would end this so called tension I have to place on my wrist to eliminate the torque.

7. wolbear

wolbear Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Have you thought of changing the grip and going with say the Focus Grip that Mathews makes? A slightly different grip on the bow itself may be invaluable to helping you get things in line and torque free.

8. charness0001

Dislikes Received:
    i let someone else shoot the bow and they said it felt fine. i guess its just me and the smaller grip on this bow. my last bow was a reflex made by hoyt and that bow had such a huge grip and i shot it for about 8 years so im going to blame the way i used to have to hold that grip in comparison to todays slim grips.

9. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    um I do not understand what you are talking about with the cables???? Could you post a pic? Also why do you think your thumb MUST point towards the target? With a nice loose grip on the bow and the bows grip resting in the crease of your palm, whether or not your thumb points towards the target should be irrelevant.

10. ARCHER_CHI_RHO

ARCHER_CHI_RHO Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    i'm struggling with torquing my hoyt. since shooting my commander for so long, the cst handle is a bit on the wide side. i haven't found that "sweet spot" in my hand where it just sits there. thinking of going to side plates, but man, i'd hate to spend more money on this bow.

11. trvsmarine

trvsmarine Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This entire thread confuses me. I'm pretty confident I can shoot any brand of bow with any style of handle and easily find an almost torque free grip.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

12. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think you'll find this is a form issue. It's ok, it's a common form issue.
    If you have a good local shop, that's the best case to help. If not, shoot at a close distance as to not lose an arrow and try a few different ways of letting it sit in your hand.

I actually went through the same thing. I beat myself up for months trying to figure out why I couldn't hit the broadside of a barn.
    Come to figure out, I changed up my grip and was torquing the bow.

Clear your mind, go shoot. don't try to hit the bullseye every time, mentally take the pressure off of yourself. GET COMFORTABLE. Just relax and shoot.

13. charness0001

Dislikes Received:
    Its hard to explain. When I draw back my arrow fletching looks like it would contact the cables, to correct this I have to somewhat torque my hand. After the torque I can see the front of the riser hanging out to the left of the backside of the riser.

14. WW1

WW1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Square-Up

15. michaellouderman

michaellouderman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Pics please of you holding bow from the rear,maybe somebody can see what the issue is with the cables and fletching.

16. charness0001

Dislikes Received:
    this first is just kind of my form
    20140602_235928.jpg

this is how the bow should look when at full draw, notice the position of the cables
    20140603_001239.jpg

this is how it looks when I keep an open hand
    20140603_001117.jpg
    20140602_235755.jpg
    in the second one in this group you can see where the cables are out from the riser and in front of the sight a bit.