Bow talk

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Jrob140, Feb 13, 2017.

1. Jrob140

Jrob140 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I currently shoot a bear encounter and bought it for no other reason then a lot of people told me the ready to hunt package was a good starter bow and it was in my price range. Now that I've killed a couple deer with my bow and happily to admit that I'm completely and utterly addicted (I mean I even joined a forum about bowhunting who would do that LOL) I'm wanting to get something a little newer and better. Recently I've been looking through the classifieds on the forums at all the Mathews and Hoyt's and realized I know nothing about the difference between no cam or single cam, or really even the difference between certain bows other then I think they look cool. Not looking real seriously just yet but any help and things to consider while researching for what I think would be a good fit is greatly appreciated!

2. bluecollarhunter

bluecollarhunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Best advice i can give is find a good rep achery shop and shoot different bows in your price range and make your choice i have shot 3 different brands wont say what brand and the only difference is the high end bow shoots better but as far as brand dont get caught up in the brands wars

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

3. rick-florida

rick-florida Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    if you're not in a rush I'd also check out a few archery ranges and see what other archers are shooting and ask them why they like it. might give you factors to consider that aren't readily apparent.

4. 95grvrMotive6

95grvrMotive6 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have shot many and own 2 bear bows. A motive 6 and a venue. Just what felt comfortable but have shot bowtech, mathews, mission (made by mathews), pse, and several others. Don't just pick a brand shoot and pick what feels right. You have shot your bear so you may like the others they have to offer. Just settle on what feels right not brand.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

5. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Put a bunch in your hand. My son loves his Mathews but I can't shoot one to save my life.

6. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I love my Bowtech BTX but it suits me well. Can't say anything bad about any other brand but they all do feel a little different so as most of the others have mentioned, take an afternoon and visit a shop with a lot of bows and shoot for a while and see what feels best. It's easy to say not to look at prices but you may be surprised the most expensive bow isn't the one that feels best to you.

7. jcz

jcz Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    All of the above is great advice but only you are the one that thinks or wants a new bow. I shot my Z7 for 5 years before upgrade. If you shoot the Bear fine and can't see a big difference when shooting the new bows then maybe wait.
    just my opinion