bow string life?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Kansasbuck, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Backcountry

Backcountry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Goo luck. When that bow comes apart, and it will, I hope your safe.

2. SouthDakotaHunter

SouthDakotaHunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My feeling is that anything older than 5 years should be replaced regardless of how they look - and that's the max I would push them... About every other year is what I would recommend and every year if you shoot a ton... About half the bows I have replaced strings/cables/cams/limbs from the string busting - showed no signs of excessive wear prior to letting loose.... It's the integrity issues on the inside of the string (that you can't see) that seem to get you...

3. Nick_P

Nick_P Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The outside of the string may look fine but you cant prevent internal frictional wear and element wear on the inner fibers of your string. Those are the ones that, if they break, will cause the whole string to go. I shoot a ton so i put on a new set every few months to a year. I hope yours stays together until you get them changed

4. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I tell you, I love this place. Where else can grown macho men talk about how often they wax? Huh... what?

5. Bow String Depot

Bow String Depot Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The truth be known. Strings are fibers woven and they break down. If they are exposed to the elements, especially heat. That is one of the number one killers. Every strand of the string comes loaded with wax. The internal strands will keep the wax they had on them. The external strands lose the wax from the elements and wear. Waxing a string only keeps it from the elements. The breaking down process keeps on going. Don't wait too late!

broken string.jpg

Hutch

6. TarheelTurk

TarheelTurk Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Not to steal a thread , but where do you get the replacement ( I noticed a few people on here make em) is string replacement something a now shop has to do and if so what is a " ballpark price " I shoot a Bowtech captain , got it approx two years ago from a buddy. Love it and the past 6 months prolly shoot at least 10-15 every other day . THANKs for any help y'all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would message Hutch n son in the post above. You will need a press to install it. Or a shop can if they know what their doing.

8. TarheelTurk

TarheelTurk Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Bootlegger I appreciate the info man ! I have a shop close by where I live I will contact.

9. TarheelTurk

TarheelTurk Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Jus saw some of the Hutch strings in another thread. so I jus may be contacting them about those though!

10. Great White

Great White Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So did I, so I hope you guys were not lying.

cheers.

11. Diamond Outlaw

Diamond Outlaw Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I bought my Diamond Outlaw in 2012, and I shoot it just about everyday!

I wax my string after I shoot it and the string still looks great!, But after January I'm going to have a new string put on just to be on the safe side!

I've never had a string break on any bow, but I did have a limb break when I was drawing back a PSE once and it wasn't fun at all! . . I was almost at full draw when it broke and my release hit me in the adam's apple. . Lucky I wasn't killed! . . I couldn't breathe for about a minute and my voice changed for a while but went back to normal after 2 weeks!

**Don't want to highjack this thread, but I have a question for you guys about putting wax on a string.**

I read on a website when you put wax on a string that you can use a hair dryer to melt the wax into the string.

How many people do that ? . . I've never done it before but thought I would ask! :)

I just wax mine real good after I shoot for the day and then put my bow back in the case!

Thanks!

12. Bow String Depot

Dislikes Received:
    Don't use a hair dryer to melt the wax on your string******** One of the things that destroy strings is heat. Instead use a piece of paper fold it up well and wrap it around the string move it up and down quickly this will heat up the wax and melt it in. You can use a leather shoe lace or a piece of mason line as well.

13. Diamond Outlaw

Diamond Outlaw Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Like I said, I've never used one and when I read that it didn't sound right! . . Because heat will destroy strings!

Thanks for the post!

14. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nope, No reason to lie...I've got them on both my bows. My friend shoots them as well. In 20 years of bow hunting and numerous string sets....I will not buy anywhere else as long as he builds them. They are very well made...and if you have any issues with install....he is there to help. I got tired of the shops around here and bought a press. He helped me install my first set. I don't like saying this...but I had a shop ruin a set of strings he made me. I had to order another set from him and that is when I bough my own press. The shop messed the strings up so bad they were junk after that. It's too much to type out...lol. You can ask Hutch...lol. If I can find the pics I took I will post them for you. They lost so many twists in the string in wasn't funny. They had the yokes on my buss cable twisted all the up to the limbs...lol. It was off the timing mark but almost half an inch....:cry:

15. Cledus

Cledus Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Not lying at all, 100% quality strings. And he is awesome to work with, and had mine sent out fast!

16. bigfoot16

bigfoot16 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This forum is amazing. I was just having this conversation yesterday when a guy was looking at my bow. I hate to say this, but I have never used string wax on any bow I've ever had. The longest I've kept a bow is 5 years, and I've never replaced a string. I guess I've been incredibly lucky according to what I'm reading. I've used my current bow the last 2 seasons, so I guess I need to replace the string. I will contact the string depot and see what my options are.

17. Great White

Dislikes Received:
    I am from Australia, so he will have to help via email.

Ordered 2 sets off him, and they come with a D Loop installed which is good.

18. Bow String Depot

Dislikes Received:
    Not a problem! I have approx 8 customers over there! Some in Malaysia, England, Canada, Ireland, Netherlands, and Mexico
    I can send you videos or walk you through it.

Hutch

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  19. Great White

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks, will keep in touch.

20. CombatHM

CombatHM Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Before everyone hijacked this thread and started talking about their own strings... dude it's been 9 years you NEED to change that string for SAFETY reasons. I cannot place anymore emphasis on this. You cannot tell but it's probably frayed in a few places and it's fuzzy. Best of luck to you.