Bow Releases

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Buck master, May 17, 2014.

1. Buck master

Buck master Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Okay, I just about had with my old release and plan on upgrading. Needed some suggestions though. I plan on getting a 4 finger release. Our family has never used these before so I have no idea whats the best brand. FYI theirs 11 children in my family. I have the traditional strap on release, but am not as accurate as I want to be. I've watched about every video there is to remain calm through the process of pressing the trigger with your pointer finger. Also, is a thumb release better or a back tension? thanks

2. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Stay away from back tension unless you're strictly target shooting. I shoot a stanislawski sx-2 in the medium four finger size. It is incredibly nice, and you can adjust for trigger tension and travel. Keep in mind they are pricey, well over 150. However you REALLY get what you pay for in thumb releases. The cheap ones are not worth it and you will end up replacing them soon. Stick with carter enterprises, stanislawski, hot shot, Scott and some if tru balls higher end models. Also, if set up properly, you can utilize back tension to fire a thumb trigger. And this is a common misconception, back tension is not a type of release. It is a method of firing. A hinge type release is what people commonly refer to as back tension. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't advise a back tension (hinge) for hunting as only a select few can do it as hunting requires on command shooting at times and that defeats the whole purpose of a hinge. However, I do suggest that all get and learn how to shoot a hinge to understand what a good shot feels like. Decent hinge releases can be had for a decent price.

Thumb releases, on the other hand , is definitely a , you get what you pay for item. I have not seen a good "cheap" thumb release. As max stated, you will be in to one over $150 and they typically won't cure your triggering problem. Might delay It but won't cure it, unless your issue is just a crappy trigger on the current release which is common on wrist releases.

Carter has the best triggers I've seen on wrist releases but they are a little pricey as well but still cheaper than the thumb,(handheld) releases.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

4. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Not sure if you can see, but in a great thumb release, every part of the trigger barrel is micro adjustable to get a perfect got to your hand. This is not something you will find on cheaper models. You shouldn't be searching for the trigger barrel. It should lay perfectly in place every time.[​IMG]

As you can see, with my hand in a very relaxed state, it fits very nicely into my hand. This is how it should always be. That's why it's crucial to TRY some out before buying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. wolbear

wolbear Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am going to advise you see if there is someone close to you that uses a 4 finger release, be it thumb release etc... Ask them if you can try it before dropping the cash. Now, before going all in, realize sometimes your point of impact changes so don't just think "grab and go" with the release. Just like you must put time and patience into a wrist strap, you must do more so with a hand held. I guess I am one of those "unique" guys because I have no issues using my back tension for hunting scenarios, but then again I'm not shooting running deer. If I don't get a shot at a relaxed deer that is in a decent angle or position, then I don't shoot!

6. Buck master

Buck master Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've been a using wrist strap release for 6 or 7 years now. I've had problems in the past with them. Its me and I know it. We all have are different opinions on stuff. To see if it will increase my accuracy at all, I'll just have to try it. Its worth the $150, if it means not injuring an animal.

7. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt with a hinge. I am not saying everyone should at all. I shot mine for over a year and a half before I felt comfortable enough to hunt with it. I have killed a deer with it this past season as well. I shoot mine extremely hot or fast as some say. When I anchor it clicks. I can shoot it on command or as it should be shot and be very accurate either way. It is not remotely for everyone in a hunting situation. I am completely calm when I know I am going to kill an animal. After the shot is when my nerves go to crap. That's one reason I can pull it off.

As tfox said, I also recommend learning to shoot one. It has helped me even when shooting a wrist strap which I do very seldom as that is what I take as a back up. There are a lot of good thumb releases out there. My favorite newer one is the Scott Nexxus. Super Crisp trigger and a ton of adjustments.