bow or rifle

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by kjstaudt86, Jun 1, 2017.

1. kspseshooter

kspseshooter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    No desire to shoot deer with a rifle.
    I enjoy the peacefulness and the changing of the seasons you get to experience with bowhunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. TomTom1

TomTom1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It has been 20 years since I have gun hunted. Bow hunt from Oct.1 until The end of January here in Mississippi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. ohiocheese

ohiocheese Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I prefer bow but have always gun hunted when the season roles around. The more time I have spent bow hunting has pushed me to where I am about to only use bow in Ohio. You can get lucky and shoot a big buck with gun, it happens to someone every year. It usually takes more skill and dedication to kill a big buck with a bow and arrow which results in a more satisfying kill. That said, I will continue to gun hunt when my family goes to WV for opening week of rifle and to celebrate Thanksgiving.

4. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't bought a gun license in years. I have nothing against gun hunting I personally just don't enjoy it like bowhunting.

Blessings..........Pastorjim

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

santiago0072002 likes this.
  5. santiago0072002

santiago0072002 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

6. Marauder

Marauder Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    When Wisconsin allowed you to use a bow to fill a rifle tag I have went to a bow all season. It feels unusual to hear all the shots knowing that the deer are moving but that I'm still only bowhunting. Last season I could have taken a nice buck if I had a rifle, but I still will continue to use a bow and don't have any regrets about it. :tu:

kjstaudt86 likes this.
  7. Josh Reed

Josh Reed Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Last year was my 1st year with a bow. I did use rifle and shotgun but was with my daughter hunting. I will continue to gun hunt as long as she is interested in or gets into bow hunting

8. pdun24

pdun24 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    When I go by myself I will take my bow (legal in all seasons in Mississippi). I enjoy taking friends and allowing them to be there with me, especially if they don't get the chance to hunt otherwise. In this case we take the gun. That is typically the only time I really get the gun out. I personally just enjoy the thrill of bowhunting more. To each his own!

9. Rangerdan

Rangerdan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I like being able to reach a deer at distance as much as the next guy, I just don't like sharing the woods with a bunch of yahoo's. I hunt bow only throughout the year and specifically look for discharge ordinance areas to bowhunt during rifle season. This avoids the crowds and has proven to put more meat in the fridge for me.

10. boonerville

boonerville Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    In Iowa tags are weapon specific. I can't buy more than one Archery buck tag, but I can buy an archery buck tag and a muzzleloader buck tag. If it means I get to shoot another buck. I'll use my muzzleloader without thinking twice. But I much prefer bowhunting.

11. MSBK1

MSBK1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Bow only for me since 1989. What deer hunting is about (to me personally) disappears when the orange army hits the woods. The two things don't even seem remotely relatable and it is not the act of a person hunting a deer with a gun/rifle that is the problem... it is the season itself that I don't like. I don't like what is happening in the woods and fields. I don't like what the animals are experiencing. It feels like a massive intrusion to me. I'm not at all trying to be critical of people who gun hunt but to me the gun season is just a bit much so I usually stay home even if I have not killed a buck yet.

12. Jlmini30

Jlmini30 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm much more intrigued by taking a buck with a bow, but while playing college football I usually only had one weekend to hunt and that was rifle season. Deer camp is one of my most favorite events every year and I will never give up rifle hunting. I feel like for every story about a guy who never hunts getting lucky with a rifle, there's another story about a little kid just starting out beginning their passion for hunting with the gun, or an old man who's hunted for 50 years who takes his first nice buck. It all kinda evens out.

All that being said, now that my football days are over I'll be dedicating a lot more time with the bow and putting much more effort towards that. Basically I love doing both!

kjstaudt86 likes this.