bow mounted rangefinder ?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by ARYAN1, Feb 21, 2011.

1. ARYAN1

ARYAN1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    does anyone know of a bow mounted rangefinder ? I thought I saw a guy using one in a video :confused:

2. grantbvfd

grantbvfd Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Leopold makes one I think it's called a vendetta or something along those lines. Seems like an ok idea. I'm not in to adding extra weight to my bow if it's not necessary. I will keep my nikon.

3. ARYAN1

ARYAN1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Grant, I just looked it up and wouldn't ya know its not legal for hunting in California, DOH!

4. the mechanic

the mechanic Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    its actually not legal for use in a lot of states. according to the letter of the law in new york, you cant use any kind of device that projects a laser at your target for hunting, unless youre hunting furbearers, florida says the same thing except they break it down as far as saying "electronic computational capabilities". it doesnt specify between visible or non(for new york), but im gonna stay on the safe side(and keep weight off my bow) and not use one. my bushnell does the job just fine.

5. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If any of you guys are interested in Pope and Young, this would disqualify an animal as well.

6. elkhuntinut

elkhuntinut Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Had a friend who bought one, I call it a huge distraction.....you may want to try it first, but hard to test a $299 bow mounted range finder.

Like it was said above, I will keep my Nikon

7. ARYAN1

ARYAN1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    ya Im not gettin one or even tryin it, its not legal here

8. elkhuntinut

elkhuntinut Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Forgot to mention that the friend that tried it did return it..

9. Dubbya

Dubbya Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Leupold does make the Vendetta which is a bow mounted range finder. I was going to write a blog over this product but after talking to the representative from Leupold at a show, I changed my mind. The Vendetta utilizes a laser to "sight in" the range finder. Having a lasering device mounted to your bow is illegal (as previously mentioned) in almost 90 percent of the US. The product is pretty neat but I definitely don't feel like you gain much of an advantage as opposed to ranging spots and shooting accordingly.

10. DropTine249

DropTine249 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If I had a bow mounted rangefinder, and, read this law, I would not hesitate to hunt with it, and, I would not feel as if I was "breaking a regulation". I do believe they're referring to an "aiming device" when they use "laser", in this context.

I like the idea of a bow mounted range finder. If the system is very user-friendly, it could pay dividends, in the field. As a general practice, when applicable, I try to range my target prior to shooting, even if I have a good idea of the range, it's always better to know the exact range.

11. Dubbya

Dubbya Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    DT, regardless to what you believe they're referring to, the laser is an "aiming device." I've talked to game wardens in two states and both said they'd write a ticket in a heart beat.

I do agree with you though... I like the idea and it was pretty fun to play with.

12. MeanV2

MeanV2 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have seen them they just never interested me.

Dan

13. DriveTacks

DriveTacks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  14. ARYAN1

ARYAN1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  15. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I know we all hunt in different environments and have different reasons for hunting, but I want to bowhunt and be less reliant on technological devices. Maybe I am in the minority but if you are shooting at animals at 25 yards or less, do you really need a rangefinder? I can see person needing them "out West" when the shot yardage increases, but for 95% of us that hunt in the "woods", I just do not see the need. Plus, a bow mounted rangefinder just seems down right annoying and distracting.

16. DropTine249

Dislikes Received:
    How do they figure, though ?

The laser emitted from a laser range-finder, is invisible, rendering it useless, as far as "aiming" in concerned. If it were a visible "light", you wouldn't have to look through the scope, and point the cross-hairs in the sight-picture, at your target.

I just can't wrap my head around their thought process, on this. You still have to use your pins for aiming.

17. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've seen the Vendetta and a few other variations to it. I'm just not into the idea of having a rangefinder on a bow. For one, I think it would be a huge distraction and something else I'd have to do at the moment of truth.

Secondly, and this is just personal opinion is really, it would take the fun out of the equation. Isn't that part of what makes bowhunting special? Learning to judge distance and accurately deliver an arrow is one thing that I feel makes bowhunting much harder than gun hunting. Sure, I'm also of the opinion that if a device saves one more deer from being wounded, it would be a good thing. I use a rangefinder every time I hit the woods. But I range trees, stumps, rocks, etc., well before a deer shows up. This takes one more thing out of my shot sequence when that buck comes into my range.

18. grantbvfd

grantbvfd Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I can see this being ok if you are stand hunting. Spot and stalk a rangfinder is a must IMO. If you spot a deer at 300 yards and range a piece of brush at 260 you can plan your stalk for a 30-50 yard shot depending on how much that deer moves. Guessing a range at 50 or 60 yards could mean a lost animal as said before. I'm confident judging a distance to 30 maybe 40. This is where arrow speed does make a difference. With a flat shooting arrow being off on distance judging 5 yards or so up to 40 yards is still a kill.

Taking away a extra step in your shot sequence gives you more time to make a non-rushed well placed shot. I you have a chance to prerange everything from a stand that is a tactic that will definitely work in your favor.

19. DropTine249

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not into the "challenge of guessing" the distance of my quarry. I've done it, and, killed animals; I've done it, and, missed animals(missed a beauty coyote this season cuz my brother had my rangefinder. I went out and bought 2 brand new rangefinders, that evening).

I hunt because I want racks hanging from my wall, plain and simple. I enjoy being in the woods, but, I'm a get-it-done kinda guy. "Getting away from technology", "watching the oh-so-pretty birds", "being one with nature", are not my main motivations; I want dead bucks, hanging from my wall.

Therefore, any device that is going to assist me in ethically, and humanly doing so, is a plus, to me. I put a lot of time and work into hunting these deer, I'll be damned if I'm going to fluke at the moment of truth because I wanted to be a hero and guess the distance.

My first archery buck; I shot him at 36yards, basically hanging off the side of my stand, shooting through a tiny hole. I punched him in the heart- looking back, I was lucky. It was my first buck with a bow. I only knew he was "around" 35yards, because I had ranged the tree he was walking by, on a previous hunt. I didn't get buck fever, my pulse stayed normal, my breathing was controlled.

Again, looking back- if I had "guessed" a few yards closer, I would have shot right under him. Luckily, I was extremely calm, not shaking, and thinking clearly, because, it could have been a very different story.

Knowing the range is a vital part of bowhunting. Just sayin'...

20. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Please don't mistake what I was getting at. I completely agree that if you can, buy a rangefinder and use it. I do and use mine religiously to shoot various objects around all of my stands while I'm hunting. I know for stand hunting, my bow shoots plenty flat enough that if the animal is on the inside or outside of a pre ranged marker, I can still cleanly make the shot. It's never failed me yet. I also shoot a lot of 3D just to further hone and keep my range estimation skills. But you are absolutely correct that its imperative to know your distances.

Still hunting, especially in the west, I can see having to range an animal or other "moving" targets as you stalk.

Guessing yardages is for the birds, I totally agree.

I was referring to a bow mounted rangefinder that in my opinion is designed to range an animal on the fly. Which would be ok for stalking, but IMHO, isn't necessary for stand hunting. A normal rangefinder will do.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2011