bow let off question

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by lgordon711, Oct 7, 2014.

1. lgordon711

lgordon711 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot a Mathews MQ32 its somewhere around 15 yrs old or so. I have it set at 70lbs and it says it has 70% let off. When I come to full draw it feels like I really have to hold it there or it will immediately jump forward. I have also shot my dads bow which is a Mathews switchback same draw length and poundage but it has 80% let off. When I come to full draw with his it feels like your holding nothing. Its almost like someone puts a pin in the cam not allowing it to move forward at all. I want to let the bow back down its almost like I have to push the string forward to get it to move. My question is, is my bow supposed to be like that? And if I bought the 80% high let off cam for my bow (which they do make) would mine be like the switchback or is that just part of the new technology?
    Thanks and I hope you can understand what im trying to ask

2. ultramax

ultramax Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have a older ultramax the bow cam with 80ppercent cam but I chnge out to a fifty percent option cam and the bow was great after the change, not sur if they have such option anymore.

3. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I believe what you are experiencing is more of the difference in valley than anything. It sounds like your valley is shallower or shorter. The best way I know to describe it is as soon as the cams roll all the way over,the bow stops immediately and hits the back wall. On a longer valley when the bow rolls over it's like the cams drop off farther almost like the roll is longer. Once in the valley it just sits there. No tugging or pulling.

Some of this has to do with let off but, some of it has to do with draw cycle. To answer your question, it may help your bow me like that some but, maybe not completely. It's would more likely still pull some just not as bad as it does now. I hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. lgordon711

Dislikes Received:
    Hey thanks thats kind of what I figured that was a really good answer. I usually dont mind it too much but in order for me to make an accurate shot I have to relax and when I relax sometimes it string wants to go down just a bit even and I have to remember to not relax too much because that will affect your shot when your not at full draw even just by millimeters.
    But thanks for the info Im probably just going to stick with the set up I have.

5. Pro V1

Pro V1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    ^^^^^THIS^^^^^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Panacea Nike

Panacea Nike Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Have you checked your draw length and the draw length set on the bow? Could be that the bow is set for a longer draw length than what you need. One of the first bows I bought was a used bow set at a 30 inch draw length. Not knowing any better at the time I am a 28 inch draw and had just what you are describing. Maybe worth having the draw length checked out.

7. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

I prefer a longer valley with a higher let off for a hunting bow. If I have to draw and wait, I want to be able to relax slightly. On a target rig, I want a shorter valley with a slightly lower let off. This is to force me to hold form better. There is a happy median on the target side though. It has to be one I am comfortable with. Not to much but, not to little.

8. lgordon711

Dislikes Received:
    My draw length is too long I had a 28in draw on my old bow and mine now is a 29. I think I should go back to a 28 but I thought it wa too short for me but now I know it's not. After this season I would like to buy a 28in cam and it should fix it some too.
    Thanks guys