Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Bow hunting northeren Idaho unit 1

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by romannumal, Mar 11, 2016.

1. romannumal

romannumal Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I am planning on a trip to white tail hunt in OCT. in unit 1 in northern Idaho.

This will be my first bow hunt in Idaho can you guys give me some pointers.
    I will not be using a stand I will be looking and tracking them with a friend from the area.

So any suggestion or help would be great.
    I have only hunted mule deer in Arizona.

2. rick-florida

rick-florida Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    are you looking for Idaho specific ideas or on spot and stalk hunting?

Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
  3. romannumal

romannumal Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I am looking for spot and stalk hunting ideas that in turn could help in Idaho.

4. rick-florida

Dislikes Received:
    Spot and stalk and using hasty ground blinds is what I enjoy the most. I'm heading to work but will put together ideas that have worked for me and post this evening.

5. rick-florida

Dislikes Received:
    Tom Miranda is a good pro hunter to watch as I think his gear is well set for spot stalking. Basically I hunt with my quiver on my pack with a cami hood over the fletching, full cami with a leaf suit and face cami. I used to wear a hood but have started using carbon based face paint and prefer it. I wear the binoculars around my neck and use them constantly to look over the area before moving. I want to see the deer before they see me so I move real slow and glass every step or two. takes a long time to move any distance. in the fall the bucks are moving too so they can walk up on you as well. I've bumped a couple big bucks out of their beds at about 20 yrds, they didn't know I was there and unfortunately I didn't see them until too late. I've got a 30 power small leupold spotting scope I've starting carrying in my pack for when I get on high ground I can really check the thickets for bedded deer. when I find a good area I'll use a piece of burlap and a little brush and make a hasty blind and hunt that. that's about it for my hunting in florida and the northeast. Good luck with Idaho and plz keep us posted on how it works out.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
  6. romannumal

romannumal Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you for the info.