Bought Hoyt Charger package, have a question...

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by JoeDirt1977, Mar 1, 2013.

1. JoeDirt1977

JoeDirt1977 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    It's my first bow. The package came with a whisker biscuit, but I see others are using a drop away rest. Is there a performance advantage? I'm so new at this that I'm going to stick with the whisker biscuit for now, while I get my feet wet, but I was curious more than anything. If anyone could explain this to me, it would be much appreciated. I'm new to all of this and trying to learn as much as possible. Thanks, guys.

2. Bountyhunter

Bountyhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The drop aways are really nice, but the Whisker Biscuit is a fine rest. It will be easier for you right now, and you can upgrade a bit later as you said. The Charger is a fine bow. Good choice.

3. hedderickc

hedderickc Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The advantage with drop away rests is that their is no resistance on the arrow once fired. The rest drops away so the shaft and vanes don't make contact with the rest as it is fired. In a whisker biscuit the shaft and the vanes have to push their way through the whisker part and this decreases your arrow speed. I'm sure their are some other disadvantages as well, but this is definitely the major one. It's a great beginners rest, I started with one as well.

4. bauer6

bauer6 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I used a whisker biscuit the minute it came out. Then this past summer when I bought my helim I had one on there for about a week, then I made the switch the the QAD Hdx. Reason being is that I couldn't get a good group for crap at 60 yards with my biscuit. And I had actually chronoed my helim with the whisker biscuit and there was only 1 fps difference compared to my drop away so I wouldn't be to worried about it slowing your arrow down. If you ask me I personally think its a good rest for the money. Also congrats on the new bow the charger is an awesome bow!

5. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on the new bow. That rest will be fine for you for awhile. After you shoot for awhile you will start to see some wear of the whiskers and they will need to be replaced if you keep it that long.

6. vinniemuzychko

vinniemuzychko Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I used a whisker biscuit for a while and then switched to the ultra rest by qad because the whisker biscuits whiskers were wearing, which was affecting my shooting consistency. The drop away rests wear much less if at all since when the arrow is passing over it, the drop away has already dropped, reducing any wear on the arrow or the rest.

7. wetley49

wetley49 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have a WB on my new PSE. I'd never shot one until now and so far I'm impressed with it. My next bow will probably have a drop away but the WB is working out really well for me.