Boots

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by buttonbuckmaster, Apr 29, 2014.

1. buttonbuckmaster

buttonbuckmaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Excuse the newb questions, but most of my hunting has had me sitting in a tree stand or on the ground waiting for a deer or turkey to walk by. I'm looking for a pair of boots for the upcoming elk hunt and couldn't be more lost. What do I need? I've read some positives and negatives on nearly every boot made. Dropping $400 for boots isn't going to happen either, so be realistic on a working guys budget. I already have a pair of Merrell Moab Ventilator hikers, but I don't think they are stout enough or warm enough.

I've looked locally at Danners, Rocky, and Keen boots. Steer me in a direction, because I'm pretty much clueless here.

2. Born2Hunt

Born2Hunt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have a pair of lacrosse aeroheads i like them and they are reasonable in price it seems like

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

3. bz_711

bz_711 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    What worked best for me was trying on quite a few pair with hunting socks first - went to both Cabelas, Gander Mtn, and REI. Even after trying them on I returned 2 different pair after getting them home and taking a walk with backpack on. I finally settled on some Asolo boots on clearance at REI (approx. $140 I believe). They have served me great. I quickly realized that the camo "hunting" boots were not working for my feet. REI was great on explaining a properly fit "hiking" boot that are designed for when you have extra weight on your back.

Now picked up backup pair (as they can get wet a lot elk hunting)...got another model of Asolo from Sierra Trading Post for around $100.

I highly suggest checking out Sierra Trading Post website, sign up for email list, and multiple times each month they run a 35% plus free shipping coupon. They carry a lot of top names in hiking boots - usually all closeouts or old models that companies are parting with. Also utilize Sierra for other gear such as base layers, socks, etc...high end gear at low prices.

Otherwise, boots need good ankle support, rigid sole for the rocky terrain, and waterproof (although that never seems to last that long). When trying on, ask yourself if you could wear them walking around in uneven ground all day. REI also had a nice fake rock pile to try the boots on for ankle support, slip, and traction.

4. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Salomon Quest 4D... Never heard of someone trying these without liking them. Flexible, little to no break in period, and a great boot company. Don't cost an arm and a leg either. Just not the best for heavy loads in real steep country, where you'd benefit from a stiffer full shank boot.

I went for the best of both worlds, quality and price. Lowa makes as good of a boot as anyone, but new they are running $350-400.... I watched online classified ads and got a pair of literally like new (less than 10 miles on them) Lowa Tibets in my 11 wide size for $200 shipped. These boots will last me at LEAST a half decade if not longer.

Last tip is don't skimp on boots.... I'd rather have $400 boots and wear cotton clothes eating ramen noodles than $150 boots with nicer camo and eating better. Boots will make your trip absolute HELL if they aren't quality, and I learned that the hard way my first trip to Alaska back in 09.

5. BACKSTRAPASSASSIN

BACKSTRAPASSASSIN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I just bought a pair of hanwag dakotas for the Colorado elk trip....after much debate and research I ended up ordering them and couldn't be happier...i wore them one day and they already fit like a glove....i never knew what a good boot felt like until I put these on....330 dollar msrp boots delivered to my door for around 130 wasn't bad either...love Sierra trading post....they are a hiker boot so nice and light but plenty of support for the terrain and should be good with a load as well....what I found is if you don't have access to try on on a bunch of brandd you are just going to have to order a pair and try em out....if you don't like them you can always send them back

6. buttonbuckmaster

Dislikes Received:
    I hear that alot. I'm not going in walmart boots, but the $400 aren't happening unless I find a steal on some. I'm planning a trip to REI and Cabelas this weekend. I'm going to try some on and then I can start watching online for bargains.

7. bz_711

Dislikes Received:
    The great thing with Sierra trading Post is that they offer free return shipping and free shipping on exchanges if you opt for the store credit option (and not a refund). So you can keep ordering boots until you find what works.
    My Asolo Sasslongs are $290 boots at any retailer, from STP for $120 I believe...but I do recommend you still go try others on at Cabelas & REI.

Good Luck!

8. KCArrowSlinger

KCArrowSlinger Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    OP, try a pair of Lowa Renegades while at REI. I absolutely love mine.

9. Bails-UK

Bails-UK Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This must be overpowering, but if you tried all these recommended boots, you may find the one that suits you best, then again you might not. I looked at reviews on hiking boots and then narrowed it down from there, my personal choice was the Meindl Burma Pro GTX, that was 6x hiking and 3x Elk hunting years ago, not one blister or sore foot in all that time...... just bought me a new pair last year, you can bet they are comfortable ;)

10. buttonbuckmaster

Dislikes Received:
    After trying on countless boots yesterday, I think I'm going to buy the Keen Gypsums. They were by far the most comfortable boots I tried on. The Salomon Quest 4D were a higher quality boot for sure, but they didnt fit me right. The Asolos were nice, but to me they felt very similar to the Keens, and they were nearly twice the price.

11. MNElkNut

MNElkNut Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Make sure they have good grippers (that is a very technical term I know!) on the sole. A boot that works great for pheasants may not be a good elk boot. Ankle support and the ability to stand on steep inclines is important.

12. buttonbuckmaster

Dislikes Received:
    I've actually bought 2 pairs of boots now. Both were super comfortable, so I got a spare pair :)

I bought a pair of Solomon Goretex Hiker mids and a pair of Keen Gypsums. I think I'm getting close to the point of the wife taking away my debit card ;)

13. bz_711

Dislikes Received:
    A spare is a good thing...very easy to get a pair wet and hard to dry out by next hunt...

14. jacob

jacob Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I hunted in montana for a week on a guided elk hunt. I wore Muck boots the entire trip with zero complaints. They are extremely comfortable and kept my feet warm. They are also around 150 dollars.