Boonerville’s 2019-2020 Semi Live Hunting Thread

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by boonerville, Jan 28, 2019.

1. Western MA Hunter

Western MA Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have shot a pile of bears with my bow and a couple over 300lb here in Western Massachusetts. Mostly with Mechanical heads. NAP Spitfire Maxx generally. 100 Gr. heads on an approximately 400 grain arrow. All have died within sight or hearing distance.
    I think both fixed and mechanical will do the job just fine on a 300 ber... good luck

Fix and boonerville like this.
  2. boonerville

boonerville Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Checked a camera that has been soaking on a clover plot where im taking a buddy turkey hunting in a couple weeks. His chances look fair
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NEB Bucks likes this.
  3. boonerville

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Berwickbuckmaster and NEB Bucks like this.
  4. boonerville

Dislikes Received:
    Also set up a couple mineral sites behind my house. I drove 60 acres of corn field and picked up 5 more bones
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

NEB Bucks likes this.
  5. boonerville

Dislikes Received:
    Today was a big day. Put out about 200 lbs of mineral on 4 farms. Did a bit of scouting and picked a few new Stand locations.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. boonerville

Dislikes Received:
    A few feet away from one of the new sites I started was a shed. Fresh, but has been underwater for awhile from the flooding.
    [​IMG]

7. boonerville

Dislikes Received:
    On another farm, the flooding has taken 20+ feet of the riverbank. Crazy stuff. This whole section just slid down the bank
    [​IMG]

8. boonerville

Dislikes Received:
    Then while scouting on the last farm of the day, I found a stud antler. It’s a match to one I found a month ago, and a deer I know very well. I have one side from the previous year as well. He will be 5 this fall.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

I'll tell you like I told VS- keep your cameras pointed on your side of the fence. What me and my old lady do in the in the woods is none of your bidness

10. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    just curious- what is the basis for your stance against HPRs?
    I have experience in states with various firearm restrictions- MI being divided by HPR/shotgun zones allegedly due to population concerns (shotgun zone recently went to also allowing straight-walled cartridges like a .450) and IN which used to be shotgun/pistol cartridge rifles only (such as a .44 mag) then switched to some straight walled cartridges such as the .450, then went to HPRs statewide; but has since gone back down to HPRs-only on private land; but still allowing straight walled rifles (again like the .450) and then WI which is also divided into shotgun/rifle zones based on population but has ridiculously liberal centerfire rifle cartridge allowances (the way I read the regs is anything bigger than a .22 is allowed- including a .223)

I honestly can't say I see/read about any difference in success/harvest ratios in states that allow HPRs. The only significant difference I have seen is in states that open crossbow up to general public seem to see a slight decrease in firearm season participation and the public-land woods seem more crowded than they used to be in bow season. Old timers would rather hit the woods when it's not so cold.

I guess I get public safety considerations in regards to HPRs but ultimately if your people don't do anything stupid, follow the laws, and are required to take/pass hunter/gun safety classes before getting a license then what's the beef?

11. boonerville

Dislikes Received:
    To be clear, I am not against hunting with rifles in general. I go on a rifle hunt usually once a year. I am just not in favor of allowing them in Iowa. Doing so will change the entire culture of hunting in Iowa, and not in a good way. Forgive me in advance for getting on my soapbox.
    Deer hunting very important to me. I grew up in North Carolina, and in 2009 I moved myself and my family to the state of Indiana specifically because the quality of the deer hunting was much better there. Typically the difference in the midwestern states that have a reputation for quality deer hunting and other places, are the regulations that are in place to dictate the manner and method of taking deer. In 2009 Indiana had such regulations that were very effective at limiting over harvest of animals, and providing an overall high quality hunting experience. Those regulations included allowing only shotguns and/or muzzleloaders during the gun deer season. This, while providing ample opportunity for hunters to go afield, protected the deer herd from over harvest.
    Then in 2010 everything started to change, with the introduction of a straight walled PCR (Pistol Cartridge Rule) through the Administrative Rules Process. I was against this from the beginning, as the very reason for the lower quality hunting in the Southern and eastern states is because they all allow centerfire cartridges during the gun deer season. This means a much higher number of deer are killed each year, and those states are known as being “opportunity” states, meaning they are great places to go if you want an chance to shoot a deer, but if a “quality (trophy) deer is what a hunter is after, those are not the states to go to do it. I knew that the introduction of the PCR in Indiana was a stepping stone in the wrong direction.
    In 2012 the Straight Wall PCR was changed to allow cartridges of a certain caliber and length (.357 or larger with under 2” case length). Again I saw the writing on the wall, and knew if it progressed the quality of the hunting would suffer. 2 years later, it was changed again through the Administrative Rules process to allow all necked cartridges (including rifles) .357 or larger with a case length of under 2”. The next year, the case length was changed to 2.5”, thus allowing many more rifle calibers. In 2016, HPRs (High Powered Rifles) went through the Administrative Rules Process and was pulled by the DNR before final acceptance. Then the legislature got involved and HB1231 was introduced, allowing a specific range of high powered calibers. That bill was amended during the next session with HB1292 to then allow all calibers. In a matter of 6 years Indiana went from allowing only shotguns/muzzleloaders during gun season, to allowing any centerfire firearm.
    The effect this has had on the quality of hunting in Indiana has been catastrophic. The deer harvest numbers spiked during the first few years, but have now dipped considerably. There are now several advocacy groups in Indiana urging hunters to not fill all their available tags because the population in particularly the central portion of the state has been drastically reduced. Many people, like myself, who moved their entire life to be able to enjoy quality deer hunting, felt cheated. A quality deer herd has a more balanced age structure, which means more older animals, which directly translates to more large antlered deer in the state. The resource I care so much about (the whitetail deer) was pillaged and depleted in Indiana for no good reason despite all of the resistance we put up to it. Hunters there are very concerned about the future of deer hunting there; many of the same hunters who, out of ignorance, were in favor of allowing rifles. The problem is, it is now too late and the laws cannot now be changed as easily to disallow rifles.
    The hunting quality has suffered so much, that I physically left the state. I moved my entire family, including leaving a well-paying job, and transplanted once again, to Iowa. In the process of doing so, I accepted a job here that actually is a 20% pay cut from what I made in Indiana, but being able to call Iowa home was worth it to me. What is interesting is that since moving here, I have personally met literally dozens and dozens of people just like myself, that have left Michigan, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Louisiana, etc and have moved their entire families to Southern Iowa specifically because of the reputation Iowa has as the premier deer hunting state in America. This is a very important factor to consider. Let’s be honest, Iowa does not have a whole lot of things to attract people who have no connections here to immigrate to the state. Iowa doesn’t have beaches, or mountains, or Professional sports teams, or a ton of industry…BUT, what Iowa does have is a lot of really big whitetail deer. In the hunting community, Iowa is widely regarded as the best of the best, the last best place, for deer hunting. There are thousands of people like me who have come to Iowa for this reason alone. All of these people have contributed millions of dollars to the economy, buying houses, buying land, starting businesses here, contributing to their local economies etc. ALL because of the Whitetail Deer. This may me unknown to most residents of Iowa, but the whitetail deer is a very precious resource that Iowa should be very concerned with protecting.

12. boonerville

Dislikes Received:
    The singular reason why Iowa has such great deer hunting is the regulations that were in place for many years. It’s not because the habitat is better than anywhere else. Missouri for example, has much better habitat that most of Iowa, and is a larger state, yet Missouri is not known as a “quality” deer hunting destination, but rather as an “opportunity” state. Why? Because high powered rifles have been allowed there for many years, and although there are a lot of deer, there are not a lot of quality (large antlered) ones. Iowa has many more number of entries in the record book than Missouri, a state that borders us. This is not a coincidence. The regulations in Iowa have for many years, prevented the over harvest of deer by restricting the gun seasons to shotgun/muzzleloader only. Last year, when the straight walled rifle bill was passed, I was shocked. Many hunters in Iowa do not see what the big deal is, and have said it is a way to create more hunting opportunities. This is spoken out of pure ignorance to the facts. I have seen exact scenario play out before. Iowa has plenty of opportunity already. Iowa does not need to be an “opportunity” state; there are plenty of those states already. Iowa has a reputation as being the best place on earth to shoot a big buck. Iowa is the only state in the union that has a 4 year waiting period for nonresidents to hunt deer. In any other state with whitetail deer, I can hunt deer there as a nonresident every single year. In Iowa, the demand is so high for nonresident deer permits, that it takes on average 4 years to obtain a permit as a nonresident. Those nonresidents are happy to wait and pay $600 each for one deer permit when they do get drawn. The demand is so high because of Iowa’s reputation and track record for producing really big bucks. What do you think will happen to that demand if there are far fewer big bucks in the state? Hunters are not flocking to Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota, or Missouri like they are to Iowa. Iowa has a precious resource in the Whitetail Deer that will be destroyed if High powered rifles are allowed in this state.

This doesn’t even address the safety concerns unique to allowing rifles in Iowa. Iowa is unique in that party hunting is allowed during gun season. This bill would legalize groups of individuals driving deer on the ground, and firing at running deer with high powered rifles. How is that a good idea?

Advocates are saying HF716 is not a big deal because it only allows a small number of cartridges. I know better. This bill is a stepping stone. Once this door is opened, and the resource (deer herd) is depleted, it’s gone and the damage is done. Myself and virtually every single person who is a transplant like me, are very upset about this. The bill was introduced by a senator who by his own admission, does not hunt, yet strangely his family owns a large gun shop. The bill is being disguised as opening up more hunting opportunity. Bull$%#&. Allowing rifles will not add one more hunter to Iowa. There are already 6 seasons, and 100 days to hunt deer in Iowa. Iowa does not need to be another "opportunity" state. The only 2 lobbyists in favor of the bill are with the NRA and the Iowa Gun Coalition. This is a gun bill being pushed as a hunting bill, with no regard for the conservation aspect. Outfitters in Iowa routinely get $5,000 for a hunt, and are booked years in advance...yet outfitters in Missouri are doing good to get $3,000. Why? Because Iowa has bigger deer...plain and simple. If Missouri adopted Iowa's current season structure and regulations it would leapfrog over Iowa, Kansas, and everybody else and become the king. The habitat there is phenomenal...just not a lot of old deer.
    I live in Iowa because of the quality of the whitetail herd. I have zero family ties here, so i take this kind of thing pretty seriously. I will fight every chance I have to protect what Iowa has. If rifles are eventually allowed here, and the hunting deteriorates to where it is no better than any other state, I'll leave and go live in Idaho or something and become an elk hunter.

The bill is essentially dead for this year. Myself and others attracted a lot of negative attention to the bill. I spoke with 5 different senators, including every member of the subcommittee assigned to the bill. The bill won't make it out of committee. So that is a small victory for now...but it will be back in some modification next year.

NEB Bucks likes this.
  13. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    enlightening.

However, I suspect Iowa's buck quality is influenced by several factors.; shotgun-only being just one.
    I've always thought that the main reason Iowa had the quality deer it has is due to the very (compared to all other MW states) strict points system.
    And while the "other" big buck shotgun-only state of Illinois doesn't have one; it does have ridiculously expensive NR tags which preclude a lot of deer tourism similar in effect if not method as a points system.

Other MW states in order of quality deer

IN - rifle/shotgun rules have bounced back and forth over the past decade but cheap NR tags- caveat being very little public land
    OH - straight walled CFR and shotguns (let's face it- a good slug gun has same or better range than a straight-walled CFR) but NR tags are (were) fairly cheap and a decent amount of public
    WI- rifles in much of the state and cheap NR tags - lots of public land; the bigger bucks tend to come out of the shotgun only zones
    MI - " " moderately NR tags - lots of public land; and the bigger bucks also tend to come from the shotgun only zones

that list would seem to indicate there is some truth to your theory- the more restrictions on CFR cartridges; the bigger the deer.

boonerville likes this.
  14. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Have .not shot a deer with a rifle in years. Have no problem with those that do. I actually enjoy watching those that do. Problem here is...., There is basically no cover other than the river bottoms. Once the deer drives comense, deer are flushed out into wide open fields. Roads are mostly a mile apart. Guys are good at the " rat- patrol" method. With shotguns n slugs, it was not always easy. Now with rifles, piece of cake.

I know Many people/ friends from ND. A great sleeper state for big bucks.
    I won't say what percentage I think are shot from the road warriors but I will say " high".

boonerville likes this.
  15. boonerville

Dislikes Received:
    You bring up a very good point. Believe it or not, the state of Iowa is just under 6% timber. There is not a whole lot of cover here either. This compounds the issue of allowing rifles even further.

early in likes this.
  16. boonerville

Dislikes Received:
    Michigan is another fantastic example. Have you been to Michigan? The habitat there is unreal. Half the state is basically swamps. Way better deer habitat than in Iowa. But the state of Michigan is very poorly regulated for quality animals. In Michigan a deer that survives his third winter is quite a specimen. The DNR in Michigan is too concerned about creating “opportunities” For the large gun hunting population Than they are with building a quality deer herd.

17. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:

uhhh, yeah I'm a MI native and I probably spend 20+ days per year bowhunting in mid-Michigan (rifle zone) - some of which is spent in or bordering a big cedar swamp surrounded by oak flats and mixed CRP and crops. It is deer habitat heaven, and honestly even though we hunt public-only; at least every 4-5 years one of us in our camp drops a 140+ and year to year we all have several in that range on cams. That being said, in my 15 years of hunting in MI; I've never had a 130+ in bow range.

Michigan's biggest management issue wasn't really that- it was what I believe to be THE most ingrained "brown/down" culture of any state I've ever hunted. My dad's in his 60s and my uncle just hit 71 and they have hunted pretty much every year of their teenage/adult lives. I bet between the 2 they killed less than 6 does in their combined 60+ years of hunting. My uncle still kind of scoffs at me taking a big doe rather than a yearling buck. My dad has come around on that but that took me really educating him.

Michigan had started implementing APRs and other QDM-type policies; and we were starting to see more mature bucks- but then the 2013 EHD plague took out a lot of up and comers right as the APRs were starting to bear fruit; and then a couple years later the beginning of what is turning out to be a pretty bad CWD outbreak has caused a knee-jerk scorched earth reaction in management policies.

Now they're trying to take out as many young bucks as possible and even extended rifle season through the end of what was muzzleloader to do so.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
  18. gri22ly

gri22ly Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    There are a few reasons. A very strict point system, with limited availability (which you mentioned) is one of them...KY and OH have more non-resident hunters, than Iowa has resident and non-resident combined, lol. Couple that to excellent genetics and hunter friendly habitat. But....the #1 reason is having the "gun hunts" fall outside the rut.

I personally have friends that have hunted with any and all center fire HPR's, .22 or larger, during the peak of rut, over corn piles, for 20+ years and have never shot a 130" buck here in KY. But go to IA for a few days during the rut, once every 3-4 years and put down a 150-160" bucks with their bows like clockwork. I personally don't think I would get any type of satisfaction or enjoyment from that...to each their own I suppose.

19. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Trophy management is not and never will be the focus of deer biology in Iowa. Nor should it be. We have WAY too many deer right now. Largely due to guys just like Booner that move here for trophy bucks, lease up and buy up the quality habitat and immediately lock it down. They are only worried about trophy bucks and will not put in the time and effort necessary to keep the numbers under control. These are the very guys that have created the monster that has required the state to try to do something, anything, to get the population back under control. I used to average 20 does per year taken off a 125 acre piece. Few of these guys are doing that on the hundreds and thousands of acres that they are dumping corn on to keep and hold "their" deer. They have allowed deer numbers to skyrocket while chasing hunters out of the field. Rifles will very likely be the answer to the problem that they helped create. Believe it or not, its a small percentage of guys that think they have to kill a big mature buck to enjoy deer season. It's an even smaller number that actually do. The majority of hunters simply want the opportunity to fill tags and get some recreation. No other group in the outdoors has a weaker grasp on reality and a more chronic case of tunnel vision than the whitetail trophy hunter. The proof is plain to see and is now becoming more and more clear to many.

20. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received: