Boone and Crockett Scoring?

Discussion in 'Shed Hunting' started by sheddinva, Jan 4, 2016.

1. sheddinva

sheddinva Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I found a couple sheds last year that I feel may be close to a B&C entry if the deer had been killed so I was just wondering what one antler normally scores on a B&C buck? I know this can vary but I figured if the minimum score is 160 for B&C, what does one side normally need to score to make you think it could possibly meet this. Any thoughts or ideas are appreciated.

The two I found are 67 2/8" for a big 5 pt and 58 1/8" for a big 4 or 5 depending on how they would score it. Am I even close?

2. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just measure it like any antler, you just don't have a total inside spread to add to it, whatever it is, is what it is. You'd just have to guess on spread and estimate it in the total if you have a pair of antlers.

3. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Scoring can be very confusing. Boone & Crockett is separated by an Awards Program and an All Time Program. Most people talking about Booners are talking about a minimum net score of 170" and 195" and the Awards Program is 10" below for both.

4. TKP030

TKP030 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The scoring should be the same for the antlers you just dont have an inside spread of the animal which is just a measurement of air while every thing else is the same since it measures the actual horns. you should be able to guess that with in a few inches just by positioning them like they would be on the skull plate.

5. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This ...I agree I don't know anyone who even cares about the "award" making the book is the only thing that matters.

6. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    B&C minimum is 170. As has been said you are missing inside air time but everything else is scored just as P&Y scores.

7. sheddinva

Dislikes Received:
    Ok thanks, the problem is I only found one side for each buck so I was trying to figure out what one antler would need to be (assuming the other was identical which I know is rare) to hit that 170". If I had both and could estimate the inside spread that would have been ideal.

8. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would think one side should score in the 75" or higher area to be thought of as a potential B&C antler. That's figuring on a roughly 20" spread, which most big bucks would most probably have. I have one shed antler from Alberta that scores 78.5". That buck would have most likely been gross B&C.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
  9. sheddinva

Dislikes Received:
    Gotcha, that's all I was wondering. I didn't realize the spread was just the inches added in, I figured there were other things to take into consideration that would either add or deduct points. I couldn't imagine finding one bigger than this but I guess they're out there haha

10. Dillon

Dillon Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  11. sheddinva

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks, I had already been there but knew that sheds don't count for B&C so I was just curious.

12. Lester

Lester Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    There are some different organizations that score sheds where you can make their book.

13. kydropTine

kydropTine Newb

Dislikes Received:
    20160115_164903.jpg I found a matchin set in 2012 that made the book with buckmasters..